Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fantastic Experience

Myself and my boyfriend love everything prehistoric and we were in heaven in fossils galore. We... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
mckinlay h
School trip - huge hit

I went on a school trip here with my sons school! The activities were really engaging! The staff... read more

Reviewed 9 September 2018
EmmaF198
via mobile

All reviews my son gold panning tea room sand pit take home shark teeth gift shop fossil hunt different activities knowledgeable staff easter holidays year olds an amazing place enjoyable visit value for money little gem per child
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had a great time here, my daughter loved it! She enjoyed all the activities, especially breaking a rock open and gold panning, the fact you get to keep some things from each activity is good also. The activities are reasonably priced and you can do as many as you like. The volunteers were all friendly and made us feel very welcome. It's not a polished as some places you might go to, but that adds to the Charm. We will come back again.

2  Thank youknowthescore
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Huge enthusiasm, but the activities haven't really been thought through and the weird multi-buy "you can have four for the price of three, but it has to be four for all of your kids" just exposes how it hasn't really been thought through. It's not clear where you can and can't go, the exhibition could be better explained, and it's like they keep having ideas and adding, without really doing anything properly. Volunteers are great, the owners are super-enthusiastic, but I felt it was a bit of a let down in the end for our kids (7 and 5 - with a one year old I'm not including here).

1  Thank Stuart L
jamiej158, Owner at Fossils Galore, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

This is such a shame you feel this way as I remember giving you a guided tour around the whole centre. I was also answering all questions asked and everything was explained in full. So I’m very unsure about this review sorry.

Kind regards

Jamie

Reviewed 10 March 2018

My four year old son had a great time while doing the fossil hunt and gold panning. He was so happy that he got to choose 3 items from each activity. Watching the personnel working with the actual fossils behind windows was a real treat for me. There was a volunteer who was cleaning crystals in another room stopped and actually gave us a tour and was very informative. She made our time very special and my son and I enjoyed her very much. My son wanted to know if the dinosaur was a good or bad dinosaur and was happy to hear that the dinosaur was a good dinosaur that actually ate plants. My son enjoyed it when she mentioned that the dinosaur was 50 times bigger than me and showed us an example picture of an average man against the dinosaur. Now for the negative, when we first walked in, we didn't know who was actually working there. We didn't get approached until we were in the shop for about 3-4 minutes. Don't get me wrong, the staff was very friendly and helpful once we figured out who actually worked there. We were given a 7 year old guide to take us to the other building for the activities, while she was very charming, I felt like she was rushing us through the whole experience once we got done with the activities. We would have missed the best part of the experience witnessing the workers working on the fossil if I didn't ask her what they were doing, we would have never met the volunteer and I would have been
a little disappointed. I would suggest that they train the guides to make sure everyone gets the full experience and not only show people the activities and have them leave. The 7 year old guide we had made the experience very awkward, but we did like her very much. When the volunteer (mentioned above) was showing us one of the fossils, the 7 year old guide pointed to the sign above the fossil and told us the name of the fossil was named "Exit this way" and was trying to exit us out the site twice. My son and I just ignored her and followed the volunteer for more interesting information. After the experience, I can understand some of the negative reviews and it's a shame since I really do think this is a wonderful gem that my son and I will never forget that was almost thewarped by a 7 year old.

jamiej158, Owner at Fossils Galore, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I have since spoken to the Volunteer (7 year old) and have found out the reason for rushing but please don’t let this deter you from visiting in the future. We strive to make everyone’s visit enjoyable and educational. We shall work on training the younger volunteers more as some times the younger ones yet have a great passion yet are still children. I can promise this issue will not happen again and we will continue to improve services. Also on your next visit please ask for myself Jamie and I would be happy to give you a behind the scenes tour of our museum. Apologies again for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Jamie

Reviewed 24 February 2018

I had high hopes for Fossils Galore. From the reviews it sounded like a hidden gem that we would travel to time and again. I took my three children (ages 6, 2 and 5 months) and expected to spend at least a couple of hours there. Our experience was terribly awkward and the 'guides' need to be far more experienced or better trained if they are to take on the role.

The staff were friendly enough. However, after paying at the front desk we were passed to the person who would take us through to the activities in the next building. Despite us buying snacks and wanting a sit down it was clear that we were meant to follow immediately, and three staff members hovered until I eventually decided to make the kids carry their snacks through. More awkwardness when our guide opened doors and ushered us through a rabbit warren of corridors. It's nice to be polite, but the guide lacked the confidence to tell us where to go, so the kids repeatedly walked the wrong way until I eventually just asked directly which way I needed to go (I know, it's like herding cats, that's why things need to be clear). We finally found ourselves in a FREEZING room with a number of raised beds containing sand. There was very little in the way of guidance as to what we could do, but at the same time the guide was unwilling to leave us to have a go. We spent a quiet 20 mins brushing at the sand to find hidden things that were frankly, crappy. I was an archaeologist for almost two decades and I understand the realities of excavation, but children need to have their interest piqued. A few scraps of china isn't going to cut it. The fossil bed was marginally better. The information provided on what was found was minimal, uninteresting even to an archaeologist and way off for the ages involved. And this is where I'm sorry to say the inexperience of the guide really showed. He could not engage with the children at all. He told my 2 year old not to put her hands in the sand and it sounded very much like scolding. He told the kids they needed to find a lighter geode and then provided no more guidance, throwing the unsuitable one back in the box. Of course at 2 SHE'S ONLY JUST LEARNING WHAT LIGHTER AND HEAVIER MEAN. This went on and on with my daughter getting increasingly frustrated until I eventually told the guide that he'd have to help her out. My son, at 6, found things a bit easier, but not engaging enough to make him want to stay.

I can see with a lot of children and more energy and experience from the guide this could be wonderful, but for us it was just uncomfortable. It would take very little; a little coaching on how to show people through and the kind of direction visitors need, some time spent with children's groups so that the guides understand the developmental stages of the children they will be working with (the addition of a £3 changing mat would have improved the poor chilled baby's experience no end!).

jamiej158, Owner at Fossils Galore, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. This review sounds really out of place as all families that attended yesterday were very impressed and couldn’t recommend enough. We have made sure that all families have a one to one experience and learn about the prehistoric activities and displays. We believe that being one to one helps with answering questions and teaching how to discover more and more about our past. As for being rushed this is really out of place as a lot of families prefer to have a drink and a snack first before doing activities and this is fine we leave families to enjoy their time and take their time. Please see previous reviews that state this too. The Volunteers have been trained to allow all visitors to take their time in the museum to enjoy the displays not to leave families behind. If a volunteer needs to go and run off to do another job then we make sure to replace them. If you have any problems with a Volunteer then please speak to management at the time and we shall rectify it immediately.

Unfortunately we cannot put our important specimens or artefacts from museums collections in the activities for the children to keep. The items hidden in the sand are still all real items and valued at £2 each.

All our volunteers work to the best of their abilities to make all visitors experiences amazing. As for the changing mat we have one and no one asked to use it yesterday. We always have one just in case.

If you have any issues or questions please contact us via info@fossilsgalore.com we would be happy to help you.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

The enthusiasm and knowledge of owner Jamie is fantastic. Have had 2 birthday parties there and visited to shop loads with a fossil obsessed boy. Relatives have been able to purchase vouchers easily with personal help from Jamie and I believe online.
Just a great place to visit all round.

1  Thank Loubalou69