And impromptu boarding vacation brought my friend and I to Blue Mountain (Think Whistler super lite) right smack at the beginning of march break. Amazingly when we walked up to the counter to ask for a room, the guy working the desk didn't laugh at our poor planning, he happily hooked us up with a room. They had even extended the accommodations discount benefit of our seasons pass to the resort, so we got the room for an amazing rate, especially considering it was march break.
The room was a bit tired and worn. But it's a ski village suite, not a 5 star hotel. Fit our needs perfectly. It was clean. The washroom in good shape. Decent water pressure even on the 4th floor.
Our room overlooked the vibrant village, so a cool little detail, they had stocked the room with ear plugs in case you had trouble sleeping. Maybe I'm just a deep sleeper, but I wasn't bothered by any noise from the village or Neighbours, or even the hallway despite being directly across from the elevator.
We were a short 4 min walk from the lifts wandering through the village.
My friend had some trouble with the wireless Internet, which cost extra. I really don't understand how in today's day and age any hotel can justify charging for Internet.
The underground parking is pretty well marked to help you find the right building and elevator access for your room. Which is a huge plus.
Being a ski resort town it would be nice if they had a place set aside in the parking garage to do waxing and ski/board maintainence as people generally stick around for multiple days. But in-season 'Skis&Bikes' in Collingwood, a 10 min drive, has a wax room where you can do it yourself. Fine as long as you haven't had any après.
Overall, great friendly service, good accommodations, excellent vibe, homey feel away from home.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Georgian, in the middle of the Village at Blue, is fashioned after a historic railway hotel, with 189 suites ranging in size from studios to 3 bedroom. Every suite features high-speed wireless internet access, in-room movies, a DVD player, flat screen LCD TV. Guests also have exclusive access to secure underground parking, games room, 2 outdoor hot tubs (open year round), outdoor pool (summer only), fitness room and sauna. Bachelor, 1, 2 and 3 bedroom suites include a fireplace, fully furnished kitchen and a balcony or patio. Studio units (regular size hotel rooms) have a kitchenette (small fridge, small sink, microwave, toaster, kettle, dishes and cutlery). Larger units (1 bedroom or larger) have a full kitchen. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Georgian - Blue Mountain Hotel Blue Mountains
- Grand Georgian Blue Mountain
- Grand Georgian Collingwood