All reviews carbonara italian food cottage guests mountains
Reviewed 2 January 2017

We enjoyed our stay. The bungalow was new and contemporary and there was a little patio with a hammock. The yard and pool area are beautifully landscaped and the restaurant has a great view over the property. The owner was very friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Pastas, pizzas, salads and wine, nothing beats a real Italian meal than mama y papas. Traditional and delicious, you feel like you are in Italy when you taste Enzo's food. Easy to find from the Costanera, this hotel offers villas for travelers at a decent price.

Date of stay: August 2016
Reviewed 1 January 2016 via mobile

This lodge was perfect after a great adventure in Drake Bay. The amenities are great, including pool, hammock and air conditioning. The hits is extremely clean and the grounds are beautiful. We read that others complained about the long walk up to the dining area, but as long as one is fairly agile it is not bad at all. Highly recommended. The food is nice too, so make sure to make your reservations. Enzo and his wife are warm, welcoming and very kind. Recommended. The breakfast views can't be beat!

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2015

I am building a home in southwest CR at Serenity Gardens and needed a place near my building partner's home in Cortez. Up popped Mamma E Papa about 10 miles away in Ojachol. It is run by Enzo, a fellow paisan and his Costa Rica wife. Lovely, lovely people who take care of their guests. I got more "on the ground info" from Enzo than just about anyone I've met in my four previous visits (where to buy appliances and the like). The grounds are spotless and well manicured. Saw plenty of wildlife; iguanas, Scarlet Macaws, ghekkos and an anteater. Enzo is an excellent chef. Lasagna followed by pizza then cannelloni (three dinners, not all at once). The wine served with the meals, no,not with pizza, that was a beer night, was excellent. Breakfast is included and is excellent and will carry you through the day. I had dasayudo tipical twice and pancaked in between. Papaya, pineapple, OJ and coffee beforehand. I'll try the Italian coffee just for the heck of it next month.

My villa was very nice. The internet was sketchy and I mentioned this on my last night. Enzo reset something and bingo, as fast as anything you would need. My fiancé is thrilled that there is a beach basically across the Costanera del Sol that has egg-laying turtles. We will probably do that next month after consulting with Enzo.

If you are in the southwest Pacific zone, put Mamma E Papa on your itinerary!

Room tip: There are four or five villas. There is one on the upper level. The rest are down a long set of steps.
Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2015

My husband and I stayed here for the last week of our honeymoon. Enzo, the owner, and his wife and staff were so sweet. His wife doesn't speak much English - only Spanish. Enzo speaks Italian, some Spanish, and English well enough to take care of his guests and recommend sights to see in the area. You can tell he loves his work and loves connecting with his guests. Everyone there really takes pride in their establishment and makes sure things are run smoothly and guests feel at home. The restaurant is amazing too, but I'll review that on their restaurant page. :)

We saw very few insects here, which is uncommon in Costa Rica, so that was great! There was also an AC unit and we definitely took advantage as it was super hot and humid. The beds are comfy and the bathroom is very nice - hot water, big shower, and YOU CAN FLUSH THE TOILET PAPER. Most Costa Rican pipes are not able to handle this but when we arrived, Enzo told us that this was his place and he made sure guests could flush the paper here. Ha ha! Loved that! It was nice to not have to worry about filling the small trash can or smells or anything like that, which we had to do at other places. Simple things...

Anyway, we enjoyed staying there and got some good rest. Breakfast was good. Your choices are pancakes or pinto gallo (rice & beans) with eggs. Fresh fruit, orange juice, freshly baked rolls, and hot beverages included. I didn't realize until our last day or two that I could ask for a cappuccino (so good!) or have cheese added to my eggs (also good!). I think maybe you could ask for an omelet too?

We also had fun in the really nice pool! Another reviewer mentioned it isn't shaded, which is true. So it can get warmer in the afternoon. But it's still cooler in the pool than outside it and there is a shaded area to sit beside the pool. We enjoyed swimming after breakfast while they cleaned our room.

Our only real complaint was that no food is allowed in the rooms, so there is no fridge or coffee pot or anything, which we had at all our other stays. Ojochal can be a bit expensive for restaurants, so having to eat out for every meal (except the breakfast included in the stay) was a little harder to do than we thought it would be. We understand people can be slobs and food encourages bugs to come in, but maybe there can be a happy medium somehow for the rest of us?

All in all, though, it was a nice stay and we'd recommend it. Some notes and tips:

- Watch your step on the stepping stones. They can be uneven and the grass is level with them, even if the ground is a bit farther down than you expect. I managed to trip a little a few times.
- Try everything in the restaurant! So good. Pizza and pasta, homemade, by an actual Italian. :)
- Ask for a cappuccino at breakfast!

Room tip: - Ask for the cabina facing the jungle if you want to lay on your hammock in the afternoon and not be in the sunlight. - Be prepared to walk up and down some steps to get to the restaurant for breakfast. Not too many, but still a bit of a walk.
Date of stay: March 2015