All reviews impeccable service japanese style seafood public onsen green tea cruise ship on display train station hot springs onsen hotel yukata wu sweets tour baths floor performance
Reviewed 25 November 2017

I visited Kagaya Onsen Hotel with my extended family in October 2017. Eleven of us stayed for two nights at this wonderful Japanese-style hotel, where we enjoyed amazing foods, incredible service, beautiful natural surroundings, memorable conversations, and of course wonderful hot springs. Mr. Amano was so helpful and professional in communicating with us about our reservation and orchestrating our arrival by train. During our stay, our family was taken care of by our most kind and gifted attendant, Utako-san, and her assistant Fujiko-san, who together assured our every comfort. After we settled into our rooms and got comfortable in our yukata apparel, we were served green tea and sweets while overlooking the spectacular Noto Bay. A banquet room was set up for our family meals, each of which was exquisitely prepared by master chefs with the very freshest ingredients, including local seafoods, broths, vegetables, and other delights, and served with grace and mastery by our attendants. We were deeply touched when they set up a special table to honor my father, who had passed away recently and whom our family was commemorating on this trip. It was such a kind gesture, so unexpected, and I think it captures the spirit of this lovely hotel. We enthusiastically recommend this hotel to any traveler to Japan and look forward to returning ourselves one day in the future!

Date of stay: October 2017
kagayagrp, マネージャー at Kagaya, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Dear Susie A

Thank you and your family for havig come and stay with us.

We are very glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience in here. Your positive impression will be shared with all of our staffs in KAGAYA Hotel.
Hope we can service you in near future.

Happy New Year!

Warm regards,
Takao Tejima General Manager

Reviewed 9 November 2017

This hotel is not just famous about their service, I think the most greatest thing is they think about everything from guests' point of views. For example, they know my sister is disable and need wheelchair, so they prepare room of no obstacles on the floor and set up the higher eating tables in another room for my family. We didn't tell them before we check in; therefore, they got limited time to set up a nice and disable-friendly environment for my family. There're very nice staff including the front desk manager while we check in, Ms. Wu and Ms. Chen from Taiwan who help us manage the JR tickets for next day's trip before we check out, and our room manager Ms. Masako assists us everything since we check in. Furthermore, the view of the room is really nice and amazing, it's almost 180 degree ocean view. My family said they would like to stay here once an year for rest of their lives. Yes, you should be here yourselves to experience the extremely nice service, just like being home!

Room tip: Nice ocean view and very quiet, Friendly hotel for disabled, wheelchair available
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Holly C
kagayagrp, マネージャー at Kagaya, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Dear Holly C

We are glad to hear that you and your family had a nice experience in here. Also, thank you for taking your time to share it with us. We will tell our staffs about your comment, and it will be a great compliment to them.
Then, we look forward to welcome you all in near future.

Happy New Year!

Warm regards,
Takao Tejima General Manager

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Spacious and cozy room, warm and delicate service, delicious food ........the most of all is the view of our room. I really love the Japan Sea and the Noto Peninsula, the sea birds.....all of them painted a poetic picture that I won,t forget the rest of my life.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank koonlangc
Reviewed 31 December 2016

This famous ryokan is located in Nanao, Noto Peninsula, and had been one of the top Japanese onsen ryokan, receiving a lot of awards throughout the years. However, unlike the normal ryokan Kagaya has integrated the traditions into a modern high-rise building, and with a strong emphasis on the okami culture, with a dedicated okami for us throughout the stay.

Arriving in the afternoon at the appointed time, and after parking our car we were shown to the lobby while our room is being prepared, with a lady playing traditional instrument to help us relax, while we are sipping our coffee and looking at through the big windows at the ocean. In a short while our okami came to show us to our room, which is located on 3/F Noto Nagisatei, a Japan/Western style room with outdoor onsen bath.

The entrance to the room is very interesting, with a setup just like you are walking into a traditional house with sliding door. The room itself is really spacious, with a sitting/dining room in the middle having a good look at the harbour and pier, as well as a coffee table with chairs on the side, a bed room of western style, a bathroom with doors leading out to the onsen bath outside, as well as a balcony with a garden looking into the ocean.

We then went to the public bath to experience. The men's bath has two floors and big, with the lower floor being indoor with also a sauna room. The second floor is outdoor, effectively having two baths there as there are separate pools. Considering the size of the ryokan I would say the outdoor baths are a bit too small. But fortunately this is not a busy period so I could still enjoy good privacy.

For dinner it was simply phenomenal. The menu is also prepared with English translation, showing the care Kagaya have for foreign visitors. The aperitif is Kanazawa yuzu-citrus with honey. A very refreshing drink to start off our meal.

Then comes the vinegar dish, which is the snow crab that is right in the season. The female crab has a lot of roe which is so fresh and tasty, and the chef also meticulously taken out the meat so you don't need to spend a lot of effort digging them out from the legs. Pairing with the vinegar sauce it was simply out of this world.

Next are the appetizers, with Dried Sea Cucumber, Pickled Squid, Sea Cucumber Sushi-Ball, Boiled Baigai (shellfish), Baked Yellowtail, Deep Fried Anglerfish, Yuine Lily Bulb and Black Soybean in a Thin layer of Fried Egg, Matsuba Spit and Egg Castella. The color and plating itself was amazing and every different appetizer has its own unique flavors which is a feast for us.

The clear soup is Kaga Yam and Soft Roe Ball, which is silky smooth, and then there is the Assortment of Sashimi, with sea urchin, shrimps, fish and squid. It is my first time to eat sea urchin out of its shell. So fresh and memorable on the flavors!

The boiled dish is Wild Duck Jibu-ni Stew, which is rich and having a gamey taste but not in any negative way. The hot-pot is Nodoguro Black Throat Sea Perch, with Steamed Abalone and Cod Roe. The fish is very good, the texture of the meat firm but not rough. The abalone also is cooked perfectly and easy to bite.

The grilled dish is Premium Beef is also great, and the steamed dish of Snow Crab and Turnip provided a balanced from the more robust flavors of the earlier dishes, to wind down on this wonderful meal.

To finish we have the rice from Noto-Koshihikari and Miso-Soup, followed by the dessert of Chocolate Cake with Dried Persimmon. The meal was really a great experience, and more importantly I ordered a good sake to accompany all the great food and no wonder I finished the whole bottle all by myself in no time!

Throughout the dinner the okami also was very attentive and also asked us whether we liked the food. She was quite young but showing good composure. We liked her very much and given more time I am sure she would become a great okami!

After dinner we went to the 'cultural' street inside the ryokan, decorated just like the onsen street with stores on both sides, selling the local delicacies and souvenirs. There is also a morning market selling local produce and some of the foodstuff we had in dinner and breakfast.

On breakfast we had another great experience, with a really wonderful meal again. As I don't have the menu I could only show the photos without the details.

Upon checking out the okami helped to bring our luggage to the counter, and then to the car, and going out to see us off, before saying goodbye and wishes us to come back again. The services have been one of the most memorable so far for any ryokan I had visited and no wonder Kagaya has received so many awards and is one of the must-visit ryokan for anyone.

The price is expensive (112,320 yen for two) but I think it is worth it. My overall rating is 8.0/10.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 26 December 2016

The Kagaya Onsen (or spa) is an enormous establishment on the Noto Peninsula in the west of Japan and many rooms have views out to the sea. It is enormously popular with Japanese and other Asian visitors and the Western guest will be in a small minority. The rooms are large and furnished Japanese style with tatami mats for sleeping, low tables, and very little storage space. Guests are ushered into their rooms by solicitous hostesses, who explain all the various features and help them change into the yukatas, casual kimonos that are the garb de rigeur for all guests while in the resort.
The hotel has an extensive shopping arcade, although we found that most of the goods on display are rather cheap and shoddy. It also has a large theater where a variety show is presented every evening in Japanese) The onsen, or hot natural mineral baths, are the main attraction for many who come to the resort and are well equipped for the bather. The food and service throughout are excellent. The area is renowned for its seafood and fish dishes are a specialty in the hotel’s restaurants.

Room tip: Ask for one of the Japanese rooms for the full experience.
Date of stay: October 2016