“Great food, great atmosphere”
Review of Mario Mare

Mario Mare
Ranked #48 of 313 Restaurants in Shimoda
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 62
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Mario Mare offers a relaxed al fresco atmosphere with imported rattan dining furniture from Bali. We know you will love our pizzas which will be delivered to your table piping hot from our wood fired oven, imported from Modena, Italy. While enjoying the fresh sea breezes and sounds of crashing waves you can begin your dinner with proscuitto and melon or a mixed Toscana appetizer. Follow that with a plate of gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce or penne arribiata with seafood. You have a broad selection of grilled main courses which include lamb or pork chops, a beef rib eye or scampi. Delicious panna cotta or tiramisu, paired with an espresso, provide the finishing touch to a truly memorable dining experience in a relaxed Mediterreann atmosphere.
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We ate here one evening on our recent stay in Shimoda. The staff was courteous, even to my irritable toddler. The food was great. The chef was not happy with the pizza dough and he insisted we not pay for the pizza, but we thought it was incredible. The owner/staff spoke perfect English as they were Australian (I think). The ocean is just steps away. Definitely worth a try if you are local.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

The pizza was delicious! I ordered the Margherita with mushrooms and ricotta (a random creation). I was told the brick oven was imported from Italy and had to be installed through the roof, after which it was closed in with the completion of the roof's construction.

I also ordered the restaurant's homemade muesli with honey, yogurt, and banana. It was healthy and perfectly light prior to hitting the beach. The tiramisu was ok-- if you're a Tiramisu lover or connoisseur i wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Great food, especially the wood fired pizza and calzones! They have a nice outdoor dining area. Interior is the bar is very cute, service friendly.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

The food is excellent. Surprising to find such a good Italian here, but it really is excellent. This is due to the affiliation with (ownership by) a famous Italian chef based in Nishi-azabu.

Slightly pricey, but delicious.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Being of Italian descent, I'm very picky about my Italian food.... Mario Mare definitely met and exceeded my expectations. The tomato sauce (gravy) was like my grandmother's, and the pizza and calzone crusts fresh and delicate. Salads were full of subtle flavors. I also enjoyed one of the grilled dinners.

Ambience is great.... you can sit outside on the candle-lit terrace or inside at the bar. And the homemade chococello.... to die for!

I'm definitely looking forward to my next time at Mario Mare!

jwfaller, Public Relations Manager at Mario Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

There is no greater compliment than being told that Mario Mare's tomato sauce is like your grandmother's. We are pleased that our food exceeded your expectations and that we could transport you to your grandmother's table. Come again soon - the chococello awaits!