US$ 15
Trip.com
7 Days Inn Xiangtan Coach Station(Xiangtan)(Great Value!)
US$ 17
TripAdvisor
Jiayuan Hotel(Xiangtan)
Tianjiao Hotel(Xiangtan)
Trip.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 April 2016

We stayed in the PanLong for three nights, while visiting family in Xiangtan. The hotel is located about 15 minutes taxi ride from the CBD and about 45 minutes by taxi to the express train terminal.

Check-in was friendly and efficient. My wife is Chinese and handled all our communications in the local dialect, but I never had a problem finding someone in reception who spoke clear English during our stay.

This is a resort-style hotel, with large grounds and beautiful gardens and walks. I expect it could be very busy during summer, or with multiple conventions staying. We were there in early Spring and it was very quiet. It was a lovely serene oasis to wander around.

Our room was large, clean, and well maintained. The style of the room (and the hotel overall) were a little dated. You could describe it as colonial, but it was still very nice. The air-conditioning was a little on the noisy side, but did it's job. The bed was comfortable and the blackout curtains ensured a good night's sleep. Being in the centre of a resort, traffic noise isn't an issue.

The bathroom was of the same style and quality as the room, with a large and effective shower. A nice touch was a separate drinking water tap in the bathroom meant we didn't want for drinking water at all during our stay.

The buffet breakfast was below standard. There was little fresh food and the buffet food was pretty oily, soggy and tasteless.

One concerning incident occurred during our stay. At about 11:30pm we had gone to bed and were dozing off, when we heard a couple talking loudly and fumbling at our door. Next thing we know, the door opens and they start to walk in. Well, I yelled, my wife screamed, they got the fright of their lives and screamed...it was pandemonium! They ran back out and had a conference outside our door. Eventually, after some confusing conversations through the door, they left.

It turned out they were on the wrong floor, in the room above theirs. The very concerning thing was that that their electronic door key had opened our door! We had much discussion with the manager in the morning about this. A hotel 'delegation' finally came and tested our door, to find it had an intermittent fault and sometimes could be opened with the wrong key. Once this was proven, there were numerous apologies and appropriate recompense was made for our ruined night's sleep.

Despite this one incident, the hotel is the best in Xiangtan, although it is definitely not a five star. I'd put it in the 3.5-4 star class. I would stay here again, but would avoid the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a week. I was told this hotel is the only 5 star hotel in the city, and it is.

The room I got is very big with low price. It is kind of a resort with a large outside pool. The room is large, clean and quiet.

Most of the foods in the hotel are delicious, kind of spicy but OK for me.

Room Tip: There are several buildings, stay in the main building, kind of noisy in the morning though.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I spend two nights at this hotel and I was flabbergasted at how I could get such a nice room for this little money. it's a resort-type complex with a huge pool and very nice rooms. The beds are wonderfully soft, which is always a concern when booking hotels in China. The rooms are clean and nice. I would go here again any time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank krautland
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The hotel may be the best in town, but its claim of 5 star status is wildly overdone. Make that 3 and a half.
On the good side: large clean rooms. Good restaurant for lunch or dinner.
Not so great: the furniture and the bath room are uncomfortable. The light in the room is insufficient. The breakfast buffet is barely 3 star level. When I stayed during winter on a previous visit, the heating barely worked. The gym is just an excuse, not good enough.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Helmut S
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Relaxing place, first class facilities, restaurant expert at hosting business meetings/meals. A little oasis in the city -- trees, flowers, shrubs, watercourses, pool. A gated community. It's where foreign businessmen stay and it is favored by big local businesses.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, although the others are close by and also quite good.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business