1,226 results
All reviews conference hotel housing estate leisure facilities steam room restaurant manager good size pool and sauna buffet style groupon deal bar prices quiet location modern hotel night break course meal bed and breakfast reception staff breakfast and dinner
Reviewed 22 September 2017

My wife and I stayed in room 113 at Alexandra House from 15th September to 17th September 2017. When we arrived it looked quite impressive, but when went in the bathroom it looked as though it hadn't had a good clean for some time there were stains at the back of the toilet and in the corner of the the shower screen (which wouldn't shut properly resulting in looks of water on the floor) and a rusty pedal bin. On our first morning breakfast was a disaster, we arrived to find no cereal bowls and we told one of the waiters who said that he could get some. After waiting some time I gave up and decided to have fruit instead, only to find half of the containers empty and just a few tiny slices of pineapple and melon left. We then came to the cooked breakfast only to find there was no bacon, mushrooms or hash browns. I stood around before once more giving up and eating the items that were left. The we had the final course, hoping for Danish pastries or croissants, only to find a lump of bread and some sliced bread was without doubt the worst experience in all my years staying in hotels. On the Saturday evening we decided to have bar meal only to find an untrained barman who struggled to deal with a very simple order. The hotel seemed to be understaffed, resulting in things such as meal trays fool of scraps being left out in corridors for a long time. I definitely would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tony C
Mark M, General Manager at Alexandra House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Dear Guest,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Alexandra House. I am very sorry to hear you endured such issues.
I have discussed your feedback with the departmental managers and together we are addressing the issues immediately.
I appreciate apologies after the fact are of little comfort, but I hope you can appreciate we have taken your comments on board and will use them to improve our service going forward.
Once again, many thanks for sharing this constructive feedback.
Please let me know if you ever reconsider visiting us again in order that we might redeem ourselves.
Best Wishes, Mark.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Had a short break catching up with friends in the area. The Hotel is not far from the M4 , so very easy to access from the motorway. Clean, bright and large rooms. Good Breakfasy. Being a conference venue it is a little bit soulless, but hey, its clean and everyting works...its functional. Use their Applause reward system to secure an extra discount on your room. Good Leisure facilities, pool, sauna etc.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

This De Vere hotel is certainly not worth the four stars it claims it warrants, it was a disappointing stay to say the least. We upgraded on our arrival to a superior room...that was our first mistake it was filthy, the bathroom in particular was gross! It had long hair in the bath, on the bin lid and the longest hair was in the sink...Ugh! The fridge inside was disgusting both black mould and stale food crumbs were apparent. I did check the bed at this point...just in case!
Our second mistake was to complain to the front desk, housekeeping obviously does not like being informed that there work is shoddy and needs to be addressed asap! It wasn't...we came back to the room 8.5 hours later and it was still in same condition.
Breakfast was a joke, everything bathed in grease, bacon/sausage/fried bread done to a crisp also the eggs floating in about 2 inches of it (I had poached, safer for my arteries!) we had to call over the waiting staff every time a top up of tea/coffee was needed. The table wasn't set up properly and when they did eventually bring cutlery and another cup and saucer we then had to wait for our drink!
I asked to see the Manager after breakfast and a young man appeared, very pleasant agreed with everything I said, he left promising me all would be sorted before days end. That was a downright lie, we came back to a room that hadn't been serviced at all and the bathroom still covered in hair!
We will not return to this particular DeVere hotel ever again, although set in lovely grounds this does not excuse poor service and a lack of interest of interest in the customer.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank marybZ7592XZ
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here on business 3-4 times every month for the last 12 months but after my recent experiences, I've have decided to go elsewhere. The Alexandra House is pretty average at best - leveraging mostly the conference or business crowd. Only highlights would be the fields around it and the gym/pool. Everything else is just like a Travelodge. Over the last couple of weeks, there's been no telephony system meaning that if you want to order room service, you have to go to the bar/ restaurant to do so. Even then, it takes anywhere between 1-2 hours for it to arrive. Pizzas and burgers are around £12 but if you want anything healthy, you're looking at £18+ for average quality food. Best came this morning - no heating in room and no hot water. Apparently there were 'problems with the boiler', which I guess isn't a fundamental when you're staying in a hotel. I've had enough and voted with my feet - will stay somewhere else going forward. Not worth the money really.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank fdsre
Reviewed 8 September 2017

I've stayed here a few times over the years and use their extensive conference facilities. It's ok and has friendly staff. It could easily be better if they worked on the detail e.g. faulty sink taps and shower controls, a tiny untuned TV, an unmanned bar for very long periods of time in the evening, able to order food one course at a time, uncleared tables at breakfast, luke warm coffee, inconsistent food quality - I could go on. It's all bearable but as it's not a budget range hotel I expect these basics for the price. However, it is clean, modern and spacious hotel with a gym and pool facilities and pleasant grounds, provide quick check-in/out and as mentioned friendly staff but attention to detail lets it down. Will I stay here again - probably

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception - other can be a long walk
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business