2,058 results
All reviews mythos pool athena restaurant safari cafe blue bands superior room helios bar mini buses rhodes town main restaurant german guests mare palace mini bar preferential treatment animation team thomson rep sea view great holiday
Reviewed 27 August 2015

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday at this hotel and I can say, without any doubt whatsoever, this is the best hotel we have stayed at as a family.
Having stayed at 5 star hotels in Gran Canaria, Turkey and the Caribbean in the last 2 years, I was unsure as to what to expect from this 4 star hotel, although it had come highly recommended from a friend. But we were not to be disappointed.
Having arrived late in the evening with my husband and 4 children, aged 20,17, 7 and 6 , we were taken by mini bus to our rooms, 2 superior twin rooms overlooking the beach area and Kalithea Springs. The rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean, with a well stocked mini fridge and excellent and much needed air conditioning. The views from these rooms are spectacular!
We were handed a map of the hotel complex on our arrival and told that we would probably get lost several times due to the size of the place! in actual fact, although on first impressions it does seem a very large area, it didn't feel that big after a day or so and it is very easy to find your way around.
The grounds are immaculately well kept, with hardly a leaf out of place. I have never seen hotel public areas so meticulously well cared for, how they manage it I do not know!
We spent every day at the pool area near the Athena restaurant. This did mean early starts for the towel run to secure sun beds for all the family, but I've come to expect this and why people complain about it I really don't know. It's the reality of family holidays, wherever we have holidayed. The pool area, as with the gardens, was incredibly clean. This is in no doubt due to the army of cleaners and grounds people hard at work very early in the morning, as seen on my morning runs, and they are a credit to the hotel.
We ate at the Athena restaurant every meal time, as a family we prefer to eat outdoors when on holiday. The restaurant was excellent, and the food amazing! The choice at each meal was overwhelming, from traditional Greek fare to Chinese and even Indian dishes. This is the only holiday where not one of my family has suffered from a stomach upset, due I fee to the standard of cleanliness and quality of food preparation in the restaurant. The staff here were excellent, friendly, helpful, and taking the time to remember names, drinks orders each night etc. In particular Zoi and Flotis. Thank you for helping to make our stay so good!
The Horizon bar area is where the evening entertainment is based. On the whole this was excellent, catered for all tastes and ages. My family particularly enjoyed The Jersey Tones, The Abbey Rhodes and The Acrobats. My only slight criticism would be that the Horizon bar seemed quite under staffed at peak times. this caused queues at the bar or quite a long wait for waiter service. However, despite this, the staff were great, especially Christos and Savvos and did their very best under pressure!
I titled this review "Best Family Holiday Ever" and that is exactly what it has been. The 4 star rating, I feel, is not reflective of the quality service that this hotel provides. The cleanliness is second to none, the friendliness of the staff, from cleaners to the General Mangager, Mr Roussos, is exemplary and all the facilities superb. We will definitely be coming back to this beautiful hotel, and if it wasn't for the fact we have already booked our holiday for next summer elsewhere, I would be booking the Kalithea Horizon Royal today!
Thanks to all concerned for a truly wonderful holiday, the Jones family will be back!!!!

Room Tip: Book a superior room and request o overlook the beach area, gorgeous views of the sea and Kalithea Springs.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank rachel j
Reviewed 25 August 2015

Just returned after a two week holiday and it was fantastic,we did not want to leave. Looking out to sea everyday whilst dining or sitting in the infinity pool was bliss. I cannot fault the hotel, the staff are friendly and efficient, the food is excellent, the cocktails delicious especially Kir Royale! The entertainment was great and we did not leave the complex once to go out on an evening we did not need to. There are a variety of areas where you can spend your night such as at the safari bar with all of the children and animation team or at the main bar where the seats are plusher or at the main restaurant overlooking Faliraki, there is entertainment every night at all of these areas. There is also a chef who cooks bbq on a nightly basis and at lunch he cooks fish which we ate a lot of you just have to go down the steps at the back of the restaurant. At the acropolis there is a chef who on alternative nights cooks paella,curry, Mexican and my favourite lobster and prawn linguini in front of you. We had ala carte and it was delicious, one per visit unfortunately and you are seated in a different part of the restaurant. It is easy to get to faliraki from her we just walked along the main road and it took two hours but we didn't mind you can get the bus for €2.20 or taxi for around €12 euro.We found a friendly English bar called Jamaica there and we had some nice food and drink in the day. We took a trip into Rhodes and visited the old and new town which was lovely. The beach at the hotel is man made, it's a short walk with beautiful scenery, we just went for a dip in the sea and walked back. Excellent holiday, red hot, infinity pools, Jacuzzis ,fab food,drinks, location...returning next year already booked.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank deborah c
Reviewed 24 August 2015

We have just returned after a week's holiday at Kalithea Horizon Royal and we had a really great time. We were taken aback a bit by the size of the hotel upon arrival but it was never too much of an issue (when we arrived we were taken by minibus to our room and there were buses there to shuttle you between one end of the complex and the other and also to the beach).

After our flight was delayed we didn't arrive at the hotel until almost 1am but the Athena restaurant remained open for us to get some food and some drinks - couldn't fault this after a long day of travelling.

The food was great, we were both really surprised that there was so much choice and variety during the week. The A la Carte restaurant was incredible - I would highly recommend a visit there during your stay.

The staff were really friendly on the whole and the rep (Tyler) was really nice and helpful.

Our minibar was regularly restocked (and was all free) and there were plenty of bars serving soft drinks and alcoholic drinks near to the pools.

Our only gripe really would be the sunbed situation. After reading some of the reviews on here before going, we got up at 7am on our first day to get a sunbed - only to find they had pretty much all gone! People we spoke to said that people would get up in the middle of the night (any time from 3am) to reserve the beds and then go back to bed, not surfacing until almost lunchtime!!! There are signs displayed all around the pool that say beds are not to be reserved before 10am but this does not seem to be enforced.

We ended up getting up at 6am every day to ensure we got beds. We didn't just leave our towels and go to bed though (would feel hypocritical doing that after moaning about others doing the same) - we sat on them and read/watched the sunrise (would recommend getting up early at least one morning to watch, it's beautiful.)

The hotel does have paid for wifi but only in reception and a bar at the other end of the hotel. Some people complained about this but I really enjoyed having no emails or social media for a week, it made the holiday much more relaxing.

Overall, though, a very enjoyable holiday. We wished we were there for another week so we could explore the hotel more so I imagine we will be returning next year!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nd1991
Reviewed 21 August 2015

First of all let me say that the hotel is fantastic. The food is varied and plentiful.the drinks are great.the hotel grounds are really well kept and the staff are really helpful and friendly.came back yesterday from a two week stay,and was really impressed with the hotel and facilities.check in and out was simple,and everything went really smoothly.one issue we had was during our two week stay we didn't get a sunbed once all holiday,and when you pay nearly £4000 for two adults and one child you would expect to grab a sunbed now and again.something has to be done about the guests coming down to the pools at 5am, putting towels on beds then disappearing for half a day before they return.(I have photos to prove it.hundreds of reserved beds not one person there at 7am most days)i was up early but would never dream of putting a towel down,I'd be too embarrassed.it was so bad that we didn't use the pools at the horizon once in our two week stay,we used the hotels sister pool at the mare palace. The management have got signs up saying not to reserve sunbeds so it's not their fault it's the selfish guests fault .We went to kos last year,and the hotel used to collect people's towels and take them to reception if this happened,so why not here.apart from that the hotel deserves its star rating and the management and staff should be proud of their efforts(especially liked efthimis,zoi and Georgia at the "delphina" cafe who went out of their way to help people) but it's unfair to single people out as they all work hard from the cleaners to the waiters to the groundsmen to the bar staff to the management. A good solid choice of hotel.if the issue with the sunbeds are sorted out it would be a 5star without a problem

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank muttley113
Reviewed 20 August 2015

We paid for a taxi transfer with Thomson, which meant our check in was quick and efficient due to arriving before the coach, from the check in desk we were transported via a mini-bus to our sea view room (717). This room was spacious, clean and cool (the air conditioner worked perfectly and quietly). The beds were hard but we later on in the holiday we found out that you can request a mattress topper from reception (however my tip would be to ask your room maid for the topper as this gets the topper delivered and fitted quicker). The bar in the room is small and only restocked occasionally. We were on the first floor and had excellent views of the sea and the Mythos pool area.

There are two main restaurants, the Athena an outdoor restaurant and the Thalassa an indoor restaurant, as the evenings were very very warm we mainly ate in the Thalassa restaurant which was slightly cooler than the Athena restaurant. The food was good (but not as good as other hotels I have stayed at).

The hotel (complex) is big, to get from our room to the Athena restaurant was a steady 10 minute walk. I would not recommend this hotel (complex) to people who are not mobile, although you can contact reception from your room to send for one of the mini buses to take you round the complex.

The reception staff were friendly and polite with a good sense of humour. The bar staff were also friendly and good humoured. I will mention Marcos, Theodora and the very smart guy (sorry I cannot remember his name) at the Safari bar who all worked very hard. One criticism I would make is that the table service at the Athena area bar and the Kalithea Mare bar was very slow. If you wanted moderately quick service you were better to go to the bar yourself. The Safari bar did not offer table service (although I did try unsuccessfully to get Marcos to fetch me a beer once, but Maleficent AKA Theodora said no). I would suggest that to improve this area of service the senior management team need to increase the number of staff.

The animation team were fun and approachable, Panda (I can lift a big speaker with one arm) with his zumba dances, Silly (you will exercise NOW), Philip (muscles and all-round nice guy) and Erica (Scottish accent but from Hungary) and Kim (where am I, what day is it??). What was sad is the lack of resource investment put into this hard working team.

The archery I enjoyed put please create a shaded area on the archery field, so that people who are waiting for their go can wait in the shade.

The Kids club unfortunately was not so good, apart from the one off water fight my daughter did not find the kids club entertaining or worthwhile.

Overall a good holiday with some excellent memories, especially with some of my fellow guests who were wonderful and kind (Paul archery partner from Norway thank you for the GPS loan, Mike from Finland and last but never least Elliot (archery partner) from Wales. Together with their families they made this holiday special.

Stayed: August 2015