“The Best Place to stay in Mandrem” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mandrem Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mandrem
London
“The Best Place to stay in Mandrem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

This was my first trip to Goa and many guide books and internet sites suggested Mandrem the quietest and most unspoilt beach and possibly the best in Goa. I'm glad I heeded their advice as it was absolutely amazing with wide beaches and not many people, you had a large expanse of perfect beach to yourself. If you like a quiet, peaceful time then Mandrem is definitely your place. You can walk along the beach for 10 minutes either way to find busier towns if you need a change for a drink or diner.

There are about a dozen places to stay I'd say in Mandrem and the Mandrem Beach Resort looked the best to me (after being there several weeks and checking things out), it's on the beach and the small blocks of 4 rooms are widely spread about and in well-kept grounds. The yoga retreat next door (daily drop-in classes at 8am and 4pm) also looked really nice but only has beach huts (nice ones though) and the Villacat guest house is also next door (you'll see Mandrem is very small) and that looked excellent too and I know gets good reviews on here.

At Mandrem Beach Resort block E is overlooking the beach, I paid more for one of these (about £7 a night more, total about £40 a night) to have an incredible view of the beach from my room and balcony, however I had a good look around and think next time I'll have one overlooking the river, equally beautiful I think and it's not as though you won't see plenty of the beach! If it's your first visit then block E is probably best.

The hotel is very well managed and staffed. The Manager, Vincent, was really helpful in answering my emails before visiting, and friendly and helpful whilst I was there. The rooms are clean and have hot showers in the en-suite bathroom and are very solidly built, so quiet. They are also very secure and I didn't feel the need to put my wallet, iphone and money in the security boxes in reception. I wish I'd appreciated how safe the rooms would feel, I didn't take my laptop which was really stupid as free wi-fi available in many places in Mandrem.

There is a restaurant at the hotel which is as good as any in Mandrem I thought and staff there perfect (I'd like to adopt Sudish). Breakfast isn't included but cost about £1.50 for cereal, eggs and toast, juice and coffee. I also ate many lunches and dinners there and as good as you'll get in Mandrem (the spring roll excellent and the butter chipatti is a must). The restaurant is quiet and so this isn't for everyone. I think a lot of people walk to the other towns (or take a cheap taxi), I just didn't bother.

I would highly recommend the Mandrem Beach Resort and definitely plan to return. You can walk along the beach for miles and on my last night I was lucky enough to see baby turtles making their first journey to the sea, it was very moving to see and I watched until all four were in the sea, sadly these were the 'runts' and the last had a deformed shell and didn't seem very robust and took a long time to cover just a metre of sand. Apparently they were the last four of a batch of 146 and the metre-long momma turtle whistles to guide them to the sea, sadly I didn't see this (there were two environment protection officers there and they answered questions and had monitored the nest site). This was about 4 minutes walk from the hotel! Amazing.

In summary I'd say Mandrem is for you if you want quiet unspoilt beaches and if you do choose Mandrem then the Mandrem Beach Resort is the place to stay. It's solid and safe, clean (I didn't have a single bug in my room thankfully!) and well managed and excellent value for money. As I've said the staff are excellent and the location could not be better. Many people return it seems (as I will I'm sure) and whilst there I saw two groups ( a small German family and a friendly mature lesbian couple) ask to extend their stays as they had planned to move along the coast but felt Mandrem was just perfect. I don't think they were able to extend as hotel full, as are the other places in Mandrem, it is very small and so limited accommodation.

My criticism isn't really valid as such: the hotel website and pictures don't make it clear at how safe and nice the rooms are and that it is a "proper" hotel. The hotel site and literature about Mandrem make it (the whole town) sound a bit hippy and haphazard, I didn't take my laptop as I've said and didn't expect to be able to pay for my room with AMEX! There's about a paragraph about Mandrem in the Lonely Planet guide, which is crazy, though they do say it is one of the best and most secluded.

I had an amazing two weeks at the Mandrem Beach Resort and am more than happy to give it 5 stars.

MANDREM BEACH DOGS are lovely and aren't interested in you whatsoever, unless you have food I guess. I liked watching them chase crabs, which they rarely got, even with much digging.

Room Tip: Block E faces the sea and from your room (and private balcony) you have uninterrupted view of the se...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank ChrisSLondon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chisinau, Moldova
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We wanted to stay at this hotel, and check out couple of rooms were available at 16 december, rooms seemed not too clean and a bit dodgy for the price they asked, there sure better deals and more pleasant stays ...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank afinanika
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

We were there more than once, we as in couple. Me and my wife. Stayed there a week each and both times it was wonderful.
They have these wonderful apartment kind of settings, either beach facing or facing the backwater tributary. The beach is kind of private, though there is no fencing, its clearly marked. Also, the dunes and the changing tributary paths provide nice setting.

The only challenge can be the food for the veggies, which we happen to be. What we did was alternating between their in house restaurant and going out. It worked out well. The pricing is also quite reasonable.

Room Tip: Try getting room facing the beach or backwater.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scorp2
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

How lovely is this place? It`s not easy to get there. And that`s part of its charm.

On one side of the resort, the deserted Mandrem beach, on the other a tidal river populated with kingfishers and storks, white-bellied eagles drift in the sky above your head. Behind the resort, the small village of Junas Waddo with Ayervedic treatments, and restaurants serving a mix of delicious Indian and western food - the Oasis deserves particular praise.

We came here for the beach. And it doesn`t disappoint. The beach is vast (with hermit crabs and starfish to be rescued from the sand every morning when the tide goes out) and almost empty of people. The beach stretches for a mile in either direction before reaching the backpacker town of Arambol to the north and Ashvem village to the south. True, there are beach dogs here, but not many and we found them either friendly or indifferent but never agressive.

Mandrem Beach Resort has basic - clean - rooms. They are a good size with constant hot water and small private balconies. Many have air conditioning, overhead fans come as standard. The staff are helpful, cheerful and always around to help you if you need them. You can order food in your room. We had no problem with mosquitos in November.

The village of Junas Waddo is a favourite with 30-something Russians who come here and stay for months (some of them for years I suspect). Its easy to rent a house if you decide to stay for a while. There is internet in the village and money-changing facilities. There is a doctor available 24 hours a day. You can rent scooters and motorbikes, or catch a bus nearby.

To get here from the airport, take a pre-paid taxi. It`s an hour and a half drive. From Mumbai, trains arrive at Margao. But leave your mobile phone in London. You won`t need it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Pandanao
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I've been to Mandrem Beach resort for the last 2 years & have booked to return in February. The rooms are great & you can have it cleaned from top to bottom daily if you wish. The staff cannot do enough for you (eg wake you up for your early flight with a parcel of food & a fresh juice for your journey!) It's a short stroll to the beach or other restaurants & the beach is the best I've ever been to. As usual in India the mattresses are very thin but I ended up using a sunbed mattress under mine each night for my pampered western bones which worked a treat! Vinny was a WONDERFUL manager who has now moved to another hotel but I hear the new manager is also very helpful.

• Stayed February 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandrem
3.2 km away
1.2 km away
Banyan Tree Yoga Goa
Banyan Tree Yoga Goa
#2 of 12 in Mandrem

Been to Mandrem Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK