6,548 results
All reviews red level bali beds puerto rico beautiful resort cafe soleil private pool wet bar main pool rented a car garden view el yunque rainforest butler service swim up bar old san juan ocean front night life family vacation
Reviewed 16 February 2016

We were stranded four nights because of Winter Storm Jonas after spending a week in an oceanfront condo on Playa Isla Verde. After perusing some resorts via Orbitz and Tripadvisor, we decided to give Gran Melia a try for a couple nights and then spend two nights at El San Juan before hopefully flying home. We were very perplexed (especially coming from the metro San Juan area) upon arrival to discover that we had to pay to park...out in the middle of nowhere! That was the first sign that this place was out for every nickel we had. Funny enough though...the very slow, rude and snotty clerk who checked us in wouldn't allow us to upgrade to the Red Level that was so highly recommended on Tripadvisor. She told us no Red Level rooms were available, which we could understand...but when we asked if we could still pay for the Red Level amenities (breakfast, pool and Bali Beds) without the room, she refused....even though we showed her that the rooms and Red Level option were still showing as available online. OK...whatever. We were forced into wearing ugly and irritating paper bracelets (for what reason? We never did get a good answer) and spoke briefly to a concierge about golf (over $300 pp for twilight play, shoes, clubs and a cart...no thanks). We decided to let it go and get some drinks and snacks at the pool bar while we waited for our rooms. We admired the beauty of the lobby, the grounds and the pool on our way to the pool bar. The food was average there, the drinks...weak as hell. We checked into our rooms soon after our snack and they looked spacious and attractive. Unfortunately, we had no fridge, only some weird kind of box with compartments (a cast off mini-bar, I believe) which we were told was a wine cooler. It was not very cool at all and I'm really not sure a bottle of wine would have fit in there anyways.

I really have no complaints about the pools (lovely and fun) or the beach (not a traditional beach but beautiful to look at and full of lovely spots to find shells or just sit and gaze at nature and enjoy sunsets). We also thought the Japanese steakhouse was pretty good - do the teppanyaki. The next morning we grabbed coffee and danishes from the market...pretty damn good, both our lattes and the guava turnovers! We spent the day at the pool and met some pretty cool people. Unfortunately, none of those people were staffers...as we could never get their attention to bring us drinks or food. The one time that we FINALLY almost tackled a waitress whizzing by and asked for drinks, she took so long that we walked over to the pool bar where she was hanging out and told her forget it and then ordered them from the bar ourselves. We left the resort and hit El Verde BBQ off site for dinner...best experience of the entire trip. The food was divine, the beer was cold and cheap and the people running the joint were a blast. If you find yourselves in the area (hopefully NOT from staying at the Gran Melia), stop in for a bite at El Verde BBQ.

When we got back to our room that night, my husband killed TWO scurrying ROACHES, one in the bathroom and one near the bed. As we packed to prepare to leave early the next morning, I also saw one trying to climb into my suitcase! It was disgusting. We complained at the front desk (supposedly to a "supervisor") and all we got was some rehearsed line about the resort being so open so of course some bugs were to be expected. It wasn't until I advised this "supervisor" to get some customer service training to at least learn to PRETEND to be sympathetic or sorry to your guests who were complaining of ROACHES that she looked a bit embarrassed and then mumbled an apology.

Anyways, there were other oddly unexpected and low-class incidents that happened during our brief stay (pool towel hassles, the stray animals everywhere that I saw workers MISTREAT...) but I think I've said enough. I was born in Puerto Rico and we stay at least twice per year. I will make damn sure nobody I know ever stays here.

PS: The El San Juan....not bad at all! I still prefer renting a condo on the beach but as far as resorts go, the El San Juan is head and shoulders above this dump.

Room Tip: ROACHES! Don't choose a room here at all! RUN to another resort.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nolanzzz
Reviewed 16 February 2016

Absolutely beautiful and comforting. Was the relaxing situation for which we were looking. The staff was excellent, and the hotel and ambiance were top tier. We appreciated the Mali bed and the beach setup. There were places to sit right on the beach and enjoy the moon and stars. We will be going back.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International
Maria R, Communications Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2016

Dear 592joshuap,

Thank you for choosing our Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico for your recent trip. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed the beautiful set up and that you had a great experience at our resort.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. We feel honored that the resort exceeded your expectations and to read the wonderful comments you shared with us.
If your traveling plans bring you to Puerto Rico we will more than happy to welcome you back. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Maria Rodriguez
Communications Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2016

Over the last 4 years I have flown to many cities and stayed in different hotels and GRAN MELIA was by far THE BEST experience ever. It was a busy weekend and no matter what, the Staff was phenomenal. They were very attentive, caring and positive and I cant wait to return. I read some reviews below and I can STRONGLY DISAGREE with the negative reviews.

I also had a wedding there on January 23rd and i give my high praises to JACKIE Montgomery and her Staff. The food, privacy and support was top notch. Because of how professional she and her staff was we were able to have the best time of our lives with our friends and family. THANK YOU GRAN MELIA and we will definitely see you again!! Don't allow any negative comments to make you change your mind.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric J
Reviewed 15 February 2016

The grounds were nice, and service was good. We went with a Red Level room which allowed us to have the evening snacks and beer/wine in the evening at the lounge. It was worth the upcharge. The rooms were decorated nicely and matched the hotel design. We would definitely return again!

Room Tip: The grounds are large, request a room next to the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamieLynnNicholson
Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

We are actually still a current guest at this resort. I can say within 24 hours I'm less then impressed. Upon arrival we waited in a line of only 2 families in front of us...40 mins later we were checked in. We then found out all restaurants were booked after $80 and over an hour later we had to settle for room service (me and my 10 year old child)

Breakfast was ok, taste wise however cost... $50 again for 1 adult and 1 child
Lunch is where we currently are. 15 mins before I flagged a server down and over 25mins to deliver food, without utensils, napkins, or the $13 mini drink and $9 virgin drink....and still waiting on these drinks....

The resort is pretty however the service is honestly terrible... I'm continuously feeling like I'm impeding everyone here's day. Coming from a city I understand high costs however it is not worth it here.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family