“Service, Service, Service!!!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Nassau County
“Service, Service, Service!!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

The top three reasons to choose a resort! We have been to many resorts all over the world and by far, the staff, resort, amenities, etc... at this resort were excellent to say the least. Beginning with our check in at Red Level where, by the way, we were introduced to our butler Tony, to the every day coddling at the pool & restaurants by Tony & the rest of the staff, we enjoyed celebrating my wifes 60th. Birthday. We relaxed & unwound, I did it with a round of golf at Donald Trumps PGA course on the property and my wife enjoyed the spa, we never even got to see San Juan.

Room Tip: Stay at Red Level!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear guards21,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with all of us your stay at Gran Melia Puerto Rico. We are are glad to know that you decided to celebrate this special occasion with us and you had a great experience at the Hotel.

We really thank the comments for our Butler Tony, he's a great asset of our Resort and we are sure he went beyond to make you and your wife had a great vacation.

We hope to see you soon at Gran Melia Puerto Rico,

Regards,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,417)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Alexandria
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My first word of advice is to use your own judgement but use what others have said as a guideline to avoid things. The reviews helped me alot when it came to certain things. When chose to rent a car based on the reviews and they were so RIGHT. The resort is off the path meaning way out of the way which is a good and bad thing if you just want to be adventurous. The street is so long getting to the resort (due to a GREAT golf course) that you won;t want to leave unless you have a destination or a car. The resort was about 35 minutes away. Rent from AVIS AVIS AVIS! :) they won't charge you to park if you choose Avis. Beware of the directions that Avis will give you. The road names have changed so some street names are named the same. They were off by one or two slight details which threw us off by about 10 minutes. Make sure you make a right at the Outlet Mall (the directions from Avis just mention to mall but don;t tell you to make that right). Also, when you get to the street you are to turn left on it is named twice so look for the sign that says Gran Melia on the right. There will be a light and I beleive an Iglesia (church) on the left. It will blend in so really look for it. There are two gates which made the lady feel really safe because you can;t get in without some type of authorization. We just got in based on our rental car so it wasn;t that deep but still :) Apply for the "Mas Card" when you get there. Gets you %50 of breakfast and %10 off most restaurants. The grounds are PERFECT. Noone can complain about that. They do charge $100 a day to hold on your card until you depart so long as you are aware AHEAD of time it should be no problem. I can imagine this being a problem only if you knew NOTHING OF IT. HEnce this review :) They have carts that will pick you up and take you to the room. I would say half the time we uesd this. If you don't walk much or your room is all the way in the back of the resort I could see this being a problem but when I called most times they were there in 5 minutes. Maybe it was by chance. Other times the lady and I walked. Besides its a BEAUTIFUL resort, why not enjoy a slow stroll once in a while. I wouldn;t want to NOT enjoy the area if I'm staying there a few days. The food was a bit pricey and decent taste wise. We spent about $75-$100 a day on food eating at their restaurants. The breakfast was cheap because of the Mas card ($24 for two). I would say Tempo had the best food (Italian I beleive) but costly AGAIN. We did so much I only enjoyed the pool (which is great) ONE NIGHT :( The beach on the resort is good for pics only due to rocks and such but there is Luquillo Beach only 15 minutes up the road (If that). It is a GREAT BEACH. we had Pina Colada's for $3 and other things as well. Book your excursions and make RESERVATIONS at restaurants before you go and get the persons name or some type of confirmation and you will be fine. One of the highlights would be a restaurant called "Richies" off the resort. Richies had the BEST FOOD! Plus if you ask the concierge they will pick you up FREE and take you to the restaurant and DROP YOU OFF :) can;t beat that. Again its a little pricey but worth it. The view from the restaurant is great and the service is great as well. Just know that they have to pick you up outside the first gate which is right by the main check in building. Overall it was GREAT.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the main lobby. The regular suites are spacious and GREAT. There was a mold...
4 Thank Corey F
California City, California
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Seriously, this place was some of the best service, staff, location, food and drinks I have ever received. I was however so disappointed in the room that smelled of mold. The air vent was black with mold and it made me wonder how much I was breathing in. When i brought the mold to their attention the first day they came and sprayed a heavy "lavendar" scent to cover it up, but that just made it worse. When i mentioned it again they said they get a lot of complaints. They sent a dehumidifier which was loud and really pretty ineffective. To my own fault I didn't ask to change rooms like so many others did, I had unpacked and had just spent a day getting there and was out of "travel" mode. Exhausted, The last thing I wanted to do was to repack and move rooms.
On a brighter note, both the Asian and Italian restaurants were excellent, the staff was on their game and ever present. A great place to stay while exploring the Eastern part of PR.

Room Tip: Preview room for mold smell before you unpack your bags.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wanderlust5532139
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort for our anniversary. After reading all of the reviews i must say I was nervous. However after finally arriving at the resort after the 45 minute ride from the San Juan airport, i was presently surprised. The resort is beautiful and has a very relaxing atmosphere. The staff were also very friendly and everyone spoke english. We were completly caught off gaurd when after checking in the clerk asked for an additional $400 ( which they say is for incidentals). We had no idea they would charge $100 a night to our reservation. Be careful for those hidden fees. Everything is "charged to the room" and if you are not careful we could end up with a very expensive bill. Also the taxes are a whopping 23%.
Our room smelled of mildew and when I asked the bell man he said all the rooms smelled like that. After checking the vents, we found the filters were beyond filthy. Of course we called the front desk however no one ever came.
The food at the resturants is not the best and can be very expensive. the Asian resturant was the best and most reasonable.
I would have to agree the cafe in the middle of the pool is very slow. They even served a friend of ours wings that were still frozen in the center. They just replaced the order without so much as an apology.
Overall the grounds are breathtaking, the beach is okay for loudging but for the money, stay somewhere else.

Avon, CT
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from our 25th Anniversary staying at the resort and we totally enjoyed the resort for what it did offer. We arrived in San Juan and the only bump was a long wait at the car rental which we had never experienced in San Juan in other visits. Ok, move on to Rio Grande! The drive took about 35 minutes not the 15 to 20 minutes another reader wrote.

We arrived at Gran Melia and we thought we were at the wrong place because it was so elegant. We chose the self service parking, no problem with the $15.00 per day parking fee since we always travel and drive to places that are unique and off the beaten path. We have paid more for parking on site in New York, Las Vegas, Pebble Beach, La Jolla, etc., get my drift? I asked the very outgoing Concierge about off resort activities, restaurants and he was extremely informative. Great guy, I'm sorry I don't remember his name.

We had an e-request for a red level upgrade prior to arrival and this was not available, but we were upgraded to a junior suite with kitchen. When we arrived to our room we realized it did not have a patio, so everything was enclosed, no way to get outside unless you went through the front door. I went to the front desk and they gave us a second floor room with a patio! No musty odors, but, it is 80% humidity there. Codos to the management staff for their wonderful training on being so accommodating. I must reiterate how the staff is friendly, on every turn, the Gran Melia team was there to ask if you needed anything, or give you a ride on the cart.

So, it's a little away from Old San Juan, but we wanted the island feel and went to off resort places. You must explore the beautiful El Yunque National Park forest for hiking, beautiful water falls, unbelievable views of Puerto Rico from 3500 feet up on Mt Britton. It was an amazing adventure and bring a bathing suit too and go to La Mina Falls, it's worth it and free! Brings lots of bottled water because the climb is long and steep, the path is not rocky, it is paved to the top of El Yunque. Stop at El Porto at the entrance to El Yunque, it's a must.

The kiosks at Luguillo Beach offer great local cuisine. The many little restaurants have a diverse selection for every taste and its only about 15 minutes from Gran Melia. All the directions are dicated by how many traffic lights you must pass through and they are prettty accurate! Hacienda Carabali has a great restaurant, outragous skirt steak, and has horse back riding, and a lot of family activities.

The resort is beautiful. The pool is huge and you get the typical party'ers around the swim up bar, but the beach is nice, not the soft white sand of Anguilla or St Maarten, but it's a beach, and has an ocean, and it's clean, and it has it's own beauty. Puerto Rico was founded on rock, so it's rocky! Enjoy the views and the elements. Take a beach chair or two and watch the palms sway because there is always a tropical breeze on this side of the island.

I played the Trump International and Champions Golf courses and found them in a great condition, not crowded, avoid the 10:00-11:00 tee times. I tee'd it up at 9:45 went off the back side and was a finished by 1:15. The golf staff looks after you if you are a single. I must say the course is immaculate, great greens, a pleasure to play, a good challenge for my 5 hdcp. Really enjoyed the course.

We had dinner at Pasion twice and the Asian Bistro. Pasion is for local Puerto Rican cuisine, Asian Bistro has sushi, but we did have Latin infused egg rolls and sushi and very tender tuna. Pasion had the best skirt steak stuffed Mofungo that I have ever had, too bad it was on our last day. Chef Myrta does a great job with her staff, the best we encountered on our entire dining experience and we especially enjoyed our server Miramee, they always filled our water glasses and wine glasses!

Disappointments: The resort is run like a cruise ship. They do not allow any food or beverage of any kind inside the resort, so if you buy wine, beer, food, water, etc., you will be told by security guards stationed around the resort at certain entrances that you may not bring them to your room. I've been to high end resorts, hotels, motels, and have never encountered this before. NO COOLERS! The resort has the friendliest staff and they are always asking if they can help in any way, but I feel sorry for the security guards that have to tell happy guests to leave their just bought beer, water, breakfast cereal or whatever in the car!

We loved the resort.......BUT, would we go back back? Probably not, because of this. We like off resort things to do and to be held ransom to only buying resort food and drinks is a tributing factor to not go back. We spent a lot of $$$$ there and had to sneak things in.

P.S. (We did sneak wine and beer and a cooler in and it was like Mission Impossible...very cool place though!)

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Dojaxu76
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Dojaxu76,

Thanks you very much for your review. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our resort, since the moment you arrived until the moment you left the Resort.
We are pretty sure that our staff made you had a great experience with us.

We would love to welcome you back to our Resort.

Warm Regards,
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,702 reviews
5.2 km away
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK