See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I thought the Hillside Bed and Breakfast was wonderful, my husband and I brought our little dog and he had free roam. The breakfast was wonderful, we stayed two nights. For breakfast Judy prepared us the most appatizing breakfast ever, we had free range chicken eggs, and her famous sourdough pancakes and her new whole wheat pancakes, and lot ans lots of fruit from her beautiful garden. Her floweres were so magnificant and the smells were so amazing and fresh, we sat outside and took it all in. Also at night we could hear the creek running, the owls hooting and the coyotes howling. Also we saw the most beautiful wild turkeys. This was a very very nice place to stay.

Date of stay: June 2010
2  Thank Horselover01
Reviewed 11 October 2009

We arrived late and found out we had to share a tiny house with another couple. We were told we would have it to ourselves and could have our dog with us. She flat denied she said that. She would not let the dog in after she told me on the phone the dog was 61/2 years old and we would pay extra and she would watch him while we went on the boat in Hells Canyon. She had a small Kennel my dog hated. I hated it too. She lies and wants cash and tips. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Date of stay: September 2009
5  Thank Stuffs
Reviewed 18 July 2008

The Hillside B and B was unique for a bed and breakfast. Our accomodations were in a two bedroom, two bath house across the drive from the proprietors private residence. We had the entire place to ourselves so had ultimate privacy. One caveat: this guest house does not have "insuite" bathrooms which is no probem if one is staying there without other guests. However, if the guest house is being shared, one must be somewhat aware (for modesty purposes) that you are sharing a house with someone else. Because there are two bathrooms, each guest would have their own, so that is nice. There is another guest house on the property that is about 100 yards up the canyon. I would imagine that this place would be ideal for someone who wants complete privacy.
One of my major issues with staying anywhere is cleanliness. The Hillside B and B is clean as a whistle!
Remember, this is a remote place, so relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
As we entered the drive up to the B and B a family of quail crossed our path. Then the proprietor's free range chickens appeared. On the right were some lovely horses in the pasture. As we came up to the entrance we were stunned at the beautiful flower gardens all around. The proprietor must have a green thumb.
We enjoyed two healthy breakfasts while staying there. The first morning we had an omelette made from the proprietors fresh eggs from her free range chickens and fresh berries from her own garden. The neighbor down the road stopped in for a bite and we had a lovely conversation. This is the place to be made to feel right at home.
The second day we had homeade pancakes and more delicious fresh picked berries.
Because this place is quite far from any major city, I assume that is the reason the proprietor can only take cash or checks. No matter, it was a lovely, enjoyable stay in the most beautiful surroundings. It is a 45 minute drive to the "put in" for the Hells Canyon boat tours. Quite convenient.

Date of stay: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank marshm
Reviewed 6 January 2006

The Hillside Bed & Breakfast was a real experience. I could have done without it. We had to pay cash. Then we were solicited to buy extra services. We had one room in a 2 bedroom house with a community living area and enough air fresheners and potpourri to "freshen" the entire outdoors. After a quick tour of the house, we got the "Do Not" lecture. It was quite long. We were made to feel like intruders instead of paying guests. We were explicitly told not to be late for breakfast or we wouldn't get any.

Breakfast was another experience we could have done without. Talk about a high carb diet: egg & sausage casserole, banana pancakes, fried cinnamon toast, cookies, banana bread, maple syrup, extra strong coffee, a little fruit and orange juice. Our housemates didn't heed the "late for breakfast" warning and didn't get any juice.

After breakfast she openly solicited tips which we refused to leave.

9  Thank Elphaba