See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This was my first ski holiday to Val Cenis.
If you don't take the Snowcoach from the UK, it is a three hour mini bus transfer from Geneva, and although I have skied in many other resorts, found this little French village with its more than adequate ski areas, to be a very pleasurable experience.
On arrival I was given a lovely, bright warm room over looking the river and mountains at the back of the hotel.
The day started with a good array of breakfast items on offer, a fantastic ski hire service situated at the hotel, so no walking miles in your ski boots, and the nearest chair lift minutes away. It is not surprising that The Alpazur has so many returning customers.
Afternoon tea at 4.30 was always a good selection of cakes and biscuits, followed a couple of hours later by an amazing four course dinner with free wine and coffee.

What really makes this hotel SO special is the wonderful welcome by all the staff.
Many thanks to Peter, Joey, Craig and the rest of the team who worked so hard to make this a fantastic week with a lot of laughs along the way...

Room tip: South facing, room 24 with a balcony, overlooking the river and mountains.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Helen97
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Our family of six, 2 adults and 4 children, enjoyed our first family ski trip with Snowcoach in Val Cenis during the February half-term in 2013. We were blessed with great snow conditions, bright blue skies and a lovelly group of hotel guests.

The hotel is perfectly situated at the base of the slopes and close to the main high speed chair lift, which was really important for a mixed ability group. We were fortunate enough to be based in the hotel apartment, with bags of space and views to die for.

The welcome, food and customer service were of the highest standards for a club hotel provision. The management and staff were friendly, professional and great fun in equal measure and could not have done more to ensure we had a brilliant holiday. They were an absolute credit to the company in all areas.

We opted to travel by coach despite a few negative reviews seen on-line. The coach was new, well-equippped, comfortable(ish) and well driven by the experienced co-drivers. The journey was probably as good as any long-distance coach trip could be and certainly much better than expected. Most importantly, for a family of 6 travelling at half-term, it was astonishingly good value for money.

The coach journey also meant that we enjoyed 2 full days extra skiing on both Saturdays, which as chageover days, meant the slopes were virtually deserted - Fabulous!

A few minor niggles with a lack of hot water and some limited ski equipment availability, both caused by half-term high use and changeover day, however they were quickly resolved and soon forgotten.

Away from the Alpazur, the only real frustration was with ESF. Advertised as English-speaking ski instructors, however, whilst able to speak English, they choose just to speak French! Nevertheless, the kids got the message and benefitted from the lessons.

Val Cenis, Alpazur and Snowcoach were a perfect combination for a family ski trip and we certainly hope to return next year.

A big thank you to Peter, Joey and the team at Alpazur and Snowcoach, you were the perfect hosts!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Chalfont6
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I visited Hotel Alpazur as part of a Snowcoach holiday. There were ski lifts behind the hotel and you could almost ski to the front door. The staff where very friendly. I was looked after when I damaged my knee and there was more than enough food, including meals for those with special diets. We had a great tiime.

Room tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the stream and the lifts.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Bodge7
Reviewed 22 February 2013

This was my nineth visit to the Alpazur so I thought it was time I wrote a review.

The journey in the comfortable new yellow coaches wasn't too bad apart from the DVD on the way out. I think the showing of a video isn't now necessary as most people have their own entertainment devices. The films chosen never suit everyone so why not ditch them - I've seen 'Jonny Engish' too many times on Snowcoach transport! It would be nice to be able to doze off on the coach after the filling meal with wine on the ferry. Thankfully on the return journey a video wasn't shown and no one complained.

It's all good from now on. Excellent efficient welcome on arrival with breakfast, rooms and lift passes ready. I had my own skis and boots but those who hired from the hotel were very quickly and efficiently kitted out. The hotel was completely full but the staff coped excellently with all the demands put on them. The only thing that couldn't cope was the free WiFi connection - with a large proportion of the guests trying to access the internet at once it struggled at times. The twin rooms are of average size and are warm and clean with good decor. As to be expected in ski hotels, some clients aren't too careful with their bags and boots so furniture and fittings can get knocked about, but the maintenance team keeps on top of these issues and everything in my warm room functioned perfectly.

I was on my own and could have used the Ski Explorer hosting service but everyone on the coach was very friendly and I was quickly taken under the wing of a family party of six and they looked after me excellently throughout the holiday. I have been to the Alpazur before as a single and there has never any problem meeting up with people to ski with. The French Government's clamp down on ski hosting services is annoying but even if Snowcoach aren't able to provide the service in the future, the clients at the Alpazur are always friendly and you can be assured that you will be able to find someone to ski with. The big shared tables at dinner make 'icebreaking' very easy to do. The three comfortable lounge areas are very pleasant expecially the main bar which has views towards the ski slopes.

With the coaches arriving early Saturday morning and leaving at 7pm the following Saturday, eight days skiing are available at a very reasonable price. The pistes all over the resort were in excellent condition and every lift was working with only one queue, this being at the only remaining 2 man chairlift Arcellins II, which is due to be replaced this summer..

Many thanks to Peter and Jo who manage the hotel with the rest of their excellent staff, for a great holiday.

Room tip: The rooms at the back overlooking the river have excellent views of the ski slopes and in March you can sit on the balcony in the sunshine with a drink after a days skiing, but you do have to pay a supplement.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Erkle107
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We have been to Hotel Apazur on four occasions and this was our best holiday there yet. Staff were friendly, food outstanding for what was offered and of course to help we had excellent snow.

the new coaches are very comfortable but we did find the DVD on the outward journey prevented us getting the early sleep which has ensured we were fresh for the extra day on the slopes on arrival.

Room tip: Mountain views are lovely and quieter
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple