“Premium economy well worth the extra”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed 7 December 2018

Travelled premium economy from Manchester to Barbados return. Very good flight, and premium economy was well worth the extra over standard economy. Recently travelled Lufthansa premium economy to far east, and Virgin was better all round. Only issue we had was with check-in for return flight from Bridgetown, this was very slow and they did not have enough check-in staff to handle the number of passengers.

Reviewed 7 December 2018

This was the first time we have flown with Virgin Atlantic. We decided to go Premium Economy and very glad we did. the whole experience was really good from start to finish apart from a couple of niggles.
We were welcomed aboard by very a very pleasant cabin crew who were only too pleased to help. We were upstairs on a Boeing 747 which I was really looking forward to. The flight was smooth and we were served with excellent food and drinks throughout the flight.
My one criticism is that having paid for Premium seats upstairs, we were made to wait until the lower floor disembarked before we were able to leave the plane. Consequently by the time we got through immigration and collect our bags (which supposedly came off the plane first) they were merrily going around the carousel waiting to be claimed. I'm sure that as there are only a handful of passengers upstairs we should have been allowed to leave after business class had left.
I would definitely fly with Virgin Atlantic again

Reviewed 7 December 2018 via mobile

We had a great outbound flight to Newark from Heathrow. Only issue with the outbound flight was that within approx an hour one of the rear toilets was out of order and closed which led to queues for the other rear toilet.

Boarding was on time and issue free. We had seats at the back of the plane and were called to board relatively early to avoid a blockage as passengers were putting their bags into the overhead lockers.

The flight started with acdronks service and then evening meal which was quite good quality. The inflight entertainment was good and I watched the new Star Wars Young Han Solo film and a couple of others.

When we landed there was unfortunately the usual rush to get off the plane, so much so that the lady in the row behind me did her best to climb over me to get of the plane before our row! There is always one and she didn’t manage it .

Unfortunately our return flight was not as good as the outward flight.

Boarding at Newark for the 21.30 flight was not managed well and it was difficult to get through the gate when called to board due to passengers from rows that had not been called blocking the way. One man was asked to go back as his row had not been called and he refused, simply dropping his hand luggage in the path of others and not moving!

Once we were finally all boarded and had taken off there was a little turbulence and the drinks service didn’t happen. When the seat belt signs went off there was a rush for the toilets.

Dinner was served and I finally got mine at 23.05. The food choice was a meatball dish, a curry and a pasta & sausage dish. I chose the pasta which was not good! After the meal tea and coffee was served with a lot of backwards & forwardsing for bits & bobs. The stewardess’s servicing my side of the plane chatted constantly (non business talk). They served some passengers from the back rows then moved to the front of the back section with the tea & coffee and worked their way back towards my row, however when they got to the row in front of mine one of them said oh we’ve already done these (between idle chat) and walked off again completely missing my row. None of us had hot drinks so not hard to see we hadn’t been asked yet. I attempted to go after them to say I would actually like a tea but the seat belt signs came on again and I gave up.

When breakfast was served it was nothing short of a disgrace! We were served a tiny cardboard box containing an eye bath of what was labelled as blueberry yogurt but was more like a sweet translucent gel. We also got a cereal bar. That was it! The worlds smallest yoghurt and a cereal bar. Very poor show Virgin.

I’ll remember to bring food for the flight next time. Unfortunately though this will only add to security check times as any food in hand luggage has to be taken out and put in a seperate tray to go through rapiscan at security.

I don’t do many long haul flights and if Virgin are cheapest option for my dates in future I will use them again but I hope my return flight is of the same quality as my outward flight this time.

Reviewed 7 December 2018

Thought long and hard about reviwing Virgin on here so I contacted Virgin direct to get my concerns sorted out but after two emails back from their customer relations team their arrogance is quite clear..

I flew for the first time with Virgin to Cuba on VS63 1st November @ 11:30 Know I booked premium and Ive got to say from check in to landing I was treated fantastically as I was upstairs in Premium row 20 at the front and it was what I expected after paying the extra.

I had booked the same Premium upgrade for the return journey VS64 15TH November @ 19:10 but I have to say the return journey was nowhere near the experience I was expecting and paid for ( Not Cheap ) we were sat in row 24 the last seats in premium on the upper deck, firstly you ran out of comfort packs and they tried to find me one from economy which they did. I was asked what I wanted for dinner and I chose the pasta and was told they had ran out as they are only given 6 and there were 5 other passengers in front of me who also wanted the same meal ( choice should not be offered if it cant be fulfilled) they said I would have to wait to see if there were any left after the service below, I was eventually given the pasta 20 mins after my wife had finished her meal so ate alone, I was then offered a glass of wine to be told you had ran out of red wine ( none left on board ) this was the first service of the flight! The hostess explained the previous crew had broke into meal and drink supplies for our flight so there were shortages on our flight ( sorry this is not the customers fault and if you pay for a service you expect that service)

Virgin could learn a lot from TUI

Reviewed 7 December 2018

We travelled out from Manchester Premium Class and returned Economy extra leg room back.

We have used Virgin Atlantic for this journey for many years now. Since the merger with Delta, there are additional route options available, but all involve a change of flight somewhere in the USA.

We know well these other flight route options from Manchester to Orlando and return and the options from other airlines, but, a direct flight for a journey of circa 9-hours is a key requirement for us. We can then pick up a hire car and complete our journey to the Tampa Bay Beach resorts in good time to arrive during the daylight hours. We have therefore settled on the Virgin Atlantic direct route MAN/MCO/MAN

Irrespective of class of travel, on both legs the check-in was excellent, the boarding was excellent and the on-board attention from the Cabin Crew was also excellent. Even the team upfront, responsible for getting us to the destination kept in touch with us on a regular basis.

All in all, one of the best two way flight program that we have experienced on Virgin.

Keep doing it this way Virgin.

Date of travel: October 2018