“The Hard Part”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I choose Virgin always for the USA so choose them to fly to South Africa. Great service as usual although there was no coffee on the outbound flight, no caffeine for 11 hours has withdrawal symptoms! The only issue I have and it is big is the inability to slept on the 787 Dreamliner...the seats are awful. To prove it I went with my two brothers who can virtually sleep anywhere but they too suffered from a lack of sleep. Great plane, smooth and quiet but the seats are poorly designed for long haul flights so now I understand why premium economy was sold out. I also have to mention what I call knee room to the seat in front is poor. I am six foot and could not get comfortable. Not everyone will suffer like I did but I do sleep like a baby on the trans atlantic 747. Weight saving keeps prices down and good for the environment but when you are rooted for over 10 hours on an inch of foam it is not great. Will it stop me flying to South Africa again...never. but may choose to fly on a different aircraft...

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We flew in economy delight which is basically economy with leg room. Definitely the best option on such a long flight. Seats were OK fairly comfortable plenty of legroom, you get blanket and a pillow which is good. The plane itself was not particularly clean, we had crumbs and food on the floor which we noticed before we took off, Rubbish in the seat pocket not sure if it had been cleaned. The food was OK going out not great coming back, so take some snacks with you just in case. The reality is the food is always hit and miss on a plane, it’s down to personal preference. We were sat in 3 rows from the front of our section and by the time the staff got to the rows behind they had already run out of some choices. Take a bottle
Of water you will need one, it’s a long fight and it’s easy finger dehydrated. the staff were attentive and there were enough in our section which was good, they were polite but not particularly friendly. The toilets were not particularly clean and as the flight went on got worse. The entertainment was poor not many new films since virgin has moved to this Vera it’s got worse the titles were quite old and for anyone who goes to the cinema a few times a year you will have seen them all. The TV entertainment was really poor, the adverts were annoying but most frustrating was having to watch the narcissistic Richard Branson before every film...made me lose the will to live. Overall it wasn’t an awful flight but I felt the standards of Virgin Atlantic had slipped significantly since my last few flights with them, I was disappointed we chose Virgin over other operators and drive the 4 hours to Heathrow as we thought atbthe least the flight will be excellent ... reality is it was mediocre so I was personally disappointed. Virgin won’t be my immediate first choice going forward.

Date of travel: November 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great at selling the experience but poor at delivering the service.
When something goes wrong they are great at passing the buck.
You can always judge a company on how well they handle a problem.

Virgin airlines are poor!!!!

Date of travel: August 2018
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The lounge at Heathrow is a great way to start your trip
We have always used Virgin and will continue to do so
Use your air miles to upgrade when possible

Date of travel: November 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We recently flew Virgin Atlantic to Florida and for 2 of our family it was their first long haul flight.
This was the main reason I decided on Virgin. I was aware of their good reputation and service and with a nervous flyer believed that this may ease the nerves.
As this was booked as part of a package 18 months before the holiday the price was really competitive. I know that flying with Virgin can be very expensive but I was pleasantly surprised.
Saying that however I also paid £240 extra to secure 4 seats together outbound and inbound. I have no idea if we would have had 4 seats together otherwise it was a packed flight both ways but I wasn’t prepared to take the chance of us being split up, my nervous daughter would never have coped.

The food was better outbound than inbound but that is a matter of preference only. The Ice lolly offered on the outbound was delicious and refreshing.
Generally the cabin crew were pleasant and friendly and I get that looking after so many people means there can be delays when requesting service at other times, but I think it may frustrate some customers.
Inbound we had a chaotic boarding and this was acknowledged and apologies were offered immediately we were settled on board. The crew inbound were fabulous and nothing was too much trouble considering a very full flight.

The entertainment package is very good, plenty of films tv shows and games. Plenty to see the hours through.

Space in economy is tight. I would definitely look to pay for extra legroom and weighing up that probable cost against premium economy would sway extra legroom for us.

On the whole a good experience and I will not hesitate to book with Virgin Atlantic again and would definitely recommend them to fly with if considering them against other Carriers.

Date of travel: October 2018