“Nice smooth flight pity about the long wait for the luggage”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As always a nice smooth flight with a half decent meal and good entertainment only let down by the 55 minute wait to pick up our suitcases after the first cases arrived on the carrousel.We were traveling premium economy and the cases should have been some of the first off the plane,instead we were one of a group of three couples still waiting when everyone else had picked up their cases and departed the arrival area and two of the three couples were travelling premium economy which included our selves.

1  Thank Maggiec2006

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What could be better than being offered a glass of bubbly as you arrive at your seat!! I was one of the first onto the plane, and was able to settle into my seat before the other passengers arrived.

My husband had arranged for me to fly Premium as I was travelling on my own.

It would have been very easy to have one too many to drink on the flight, but I only had the glass of bubbly prior to take off, a G & T, and a bottle (small) of white wine.
The choice of meals was good and the cabin crew attentive. This was an almost 9 hour flight.

A down side was that the entertainment system went down a couple of times later in the flight, and I am told this is not unusual. This messed up the viewing.

1  Thank AMANDA S
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

After many years saving for an exotic break we were devestated by the way we were treated. We booked in February for a holiday in October/November. After much though and agonising we splashed out on ourselves and booked Upper Class on the way out and as our money would not stretch to upper class both ways booked premier economy on the way home.
About 3 weeks before travelling we received a very garbled and virtually unlistenable message on out house phone answer phone, asking us to ring a number about our holiday. The number was impossible to hear so we tried various different combinations around what we thought we might have heard.
Eventually we got through to Virgin Atlantic only to be told our flight home has been down graded to economy! We were offered a pathetic refund and when suggesting this was scant compensation for losing our premier economy flight it was increased a bit.
So having paid for 3 x 34 kilo bags each to travel out we were now restricted to 1 x 23k each on the way home. We realised that as the bag weights home in premier economy were 2 x 23k each we were not able to use our full weight on the outward flight. On asking if Virgin Atlantic would at least honour the 2 x 23k we were told NO ‘you will have to pay. Very very upsetting.
Reluctantly we visited the Virgin shop where we bought the holiday, the staff we very embarrassed by the way we had been dealt with. We asked to book an extra peice of luggage for our flight home. The lady tried to, only to be told be Virgin Atlantic that it was not possible and we would have to do it at check in. Rediculous!
I went on the Virgin Atlantic website only to be further disappointed. I read that if you want to pay for extra baggage you have to buy it for both outward and inbound flights. So having paid for 3 x 34k on the outward flight I had to pay for 2 x 24k on top just to allow me to bring home 2 x23k home!!! Shades of Ryanair!!!
We did receive a refund but from the research I had done before booking I don’t think it was the equivalent value of the difference.
Furthermore although we did receive a refund there was no attempt at compensation for our disappointment just a ‘it’s in the small print’ that Virgin Atlantic used in typical Ryanair manner.
I doubt we will book with Virgin.
The outbound flight was excellent and the flight home, cramped, uncomfortable with plastic cutlery, no fresh air blower and the person in front reclining their seat (as they are entitled to) so I was too close to the TV screen to see clearly.

1  Thank Grumpyretiree
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Customer service went out of their way to allocate my seat and provided me with free WiFi. Cabin staff extremely helpful and keen to help.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As a surprise to my daughter for her 18th birthday we decided to take her to Barbados. Having been before and flown with Thomas Cook we decided to give Virgin Atlantic a try. What a pleasant surprise we were in for. We flew from Manchester direct to Barbados in under 8 hours ( only just kind you ).From arriving at the airport check-in desk to arriving at the destination nothing was too much trouble for the virgin airline staff. Check in was smooth with no problems , flight was trouble free . Once onboard we were presented with a bag containing everything from a blanket and pillow to a toothbrush ( and paste ) and a pen. The seats were spacious and comfortable. In-flight entertainment was a small tv screen with at least 10 channels to view and listen to. Good and drink were given out at regular periods ( at least 3 times ).On arrival in Barbados we were swiftly taken through passport control withhout any problems and greeted by representatives from Virgin who were professional and directed us to our transfer bus within minutes. No hassle whatsoever. I would certainly fly with Virgin Atlantic again and would recommend without hesitation.