“Beware of seat 3k”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The flight is 7.5 hours. I was connecting through Honolulu to Guam. My incoming flight from Houston was delayed, so they held the flight in Honolulu.

The business class service has gone down a bit since my last United long haul flight. No appetizers and no formal menu. There was a pork or a chicken option. I chose the pork, which was way over cooked, very tough. The highlight was the ice cream sundae. The service staff were excellent and friendly.

Resting was quite the challenge in the very narrow seats. It was mad even worse due to my seat not reclining but halfway. Other seats around me laid flat. Mine was the only one with a problem.

Date of travel: February 2019
5  Thank Reagan10

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Seated in 3k, rear facing business class seat. Only two classes of service on this 9.5 hr flight. The service staff were good. However, for this long flight and this being the only premium class of service, the food was poor quality and certainly not up to normal long haul business class. No tray table cloths, no formal menu, no starters, no dessert. The seats are very narrow, but were able to be reclined to the flat position resulting in an OK sleep. Entertainment system is above average.

Date of travel: February 2019
5  Thank Reagan10
Reviewed 17 February 2019

I hadn’t flown with United for over 10 years. I had more miles with American, and stayed with them until recently. American cancelled their direct flights from Chicago to Shanghai. United still offered the direct flight, so we decided to give them a try. We take this flight twice each year. I was very excited when I booked the flight because the price of the ticket was fantastic. A round-trip ticket Chicago-Shanghai was only $650. That is the lowest I have ever paid for that trip.

Sadly, the only truly positive things that I can say is that it was cheap and the flights were on time; the flight to Shanghai even landed a half an hour early.

Our time on the plane was miserable. The economy seats have less space than American does. The seats were very cramped. Most of the flight attendants were not friendly at all. Although, there was a very nice one on the way to Shanghai. Otherwise, I felt as if I were in a zoo. Food and drinks were sloped out with very little care; at one meal one of the flight attendants dropped the meal tray onto my tray-table.

The food was abhorrent. The quality of the food that was offered was (in my opinion) lower than the worst cafeteria you can imagine. There were a lot of fillers in the meat, and some of it seemed very old, especially the bread, which was as hard as a rock, every time. It also seemed like we were given a lot of mismatched food items. One meal was a vegetarian pasta (that was my only choice because they had apparently run out of the other option). The noodles were overcooked mush, and the vegetables were slimy. This came with potato salad… because that is what you want with pasta… The mid-flight snack was a silver dollar roll with a nasty piece of old turkey and a piece of cheese that was starting to liquify. It was served in a very large plastic bag for some reason… For breakfast, I elected to have the scrambled eggs and sausage – powdered eggs, no surprise there… The chicken sausage was disgusting; it was mostly filler and fat. There was also a big pool of water in the bottom of the dish. On the return flight, I was given vegetarian Asian noodles, again because there was no other choice. It was incredibly purfumy given that they doused them in sesame oil. The vegetables were crunchy too. It was served with some kind of quinoa thing that was poorly conceived and watery. The ice cream was freezer burnt and not very good; unfortunately, it was the best part of that meal. I stayed away from the eggs on the second flight and got the pancakes. They were served with a fruit compote. The pancakes were about the quality of McDonald’s, as was the sausage. It was served with fruit – grapes and pineapple. That was probably the best of the worst. The good thing is that the drinks were good; they offered free wine and beer, as well. Overall, I know that food on planes is stereotypically bad, but this was well below the standard of any airline I have ever flown on. My wife and I were lucky enough to have stopped at Subway before our first flight, and we made sure we brought plenty to eat with us on the return flight. I highly recommend you do the same if you plan to fly United.

The in-flight entertainment was not bad. Each passenger has a screen with a wide selection of movies and TV shows.

I will also add that the United workers at O’Hare Airport were not very helpful either. One of them tried to convince me that I needed to have a return ticket to Chicago in order to board the flight. I had never heard this before. I’ve lived in China for 13 years, and I only buy return flights back to China. She lectured me for 5 minutes, until I asked to talk to her supervisor; her supervisor cleared me and gave me my boarding pass, saying that the other woman was confused. Altogether, I think it took us a half hour more than was necessary to check in.

Overall, the price was the only attractive element. If you are tiny and you bring your own food, you could save some money with United. However, if you are an average size person and don’t pack a lunch, you will have a miserable 14 hours. I doubt I will fly with United again; I think I would rather endure a layover with another airline. I do not recommend United, given this experience and the one I had ten years ago. They haven’t changed a thing, and I think they may have gotten worse.

Date of travel: January 2019
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 17 February 2019

This has to be the worst trip ever. I was on my way back home to Vegas and what was supposed to be a 4-1/2 hour flight, took over 5 hours. There is usually some light turbulence as you fly over the mountains, but COME ON, MAN! This was ridiculous, and the pilot took the long way around. There were all these turns in the air. We were so close to the airport, but we kept flying around, dipping around to the left and then to right. I didn't think we were going to make it. I will never fly this airline again. I don't care how low the fares are.

Date of travel: June 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 17 February 2019 via mobile

Suck big time. Never ever travel. I had the worst experience ever in terms of traveling, DO NOT INVEST in this flight. They are not at all corporative in anything. You might miss your connecting flight because there’s always a delay in this flight and they won’t help you if you miss your connecting flight.

Date of travel: January 2019