“First class not what it used to be”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 12 December 2018

My daughter kept telling me how great it was to fly United Airlines first class with their reclining seats, etc. I will not fly coach or economy anymore for reasons that should be obvious to any discerning reader. As a senior, I prefer to drive on vacations, but when I travel with my children, they are too impatient to drive, so we fly, and that means the extra expense of first class. I was sold on the idea because of the reclining seats that allowed you to sleep comfortably. Not for me. I am 6-2 and there was no position that was comfortable. I felt like I was in a box. Luckily, the great food on the flight made up for it...I'm joking, of course. The attendant brought by a small basket with a choice of (1) bag of pretzels (2) bag of almonds (3) potato chips. This is in FIRST CLASS! They quickly ran out of almonds, which I guess was the go-to snack for passengers. They still give out free drinks, if you don't mind no lime for your vodka/tonic (or vodka, either, for that matter.) The good news is, we usually get preferred treatment at security, and bypass most of the long lines. Ticket and gate attendants could not have been nicer. The best part of the flight.

Date of travel: November 2018
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)

Reviewed 12 December 2018

United Airlines puts the 'fine' in fine print. You don't fly much, you do a search, you settle on a flight and hit 'purchase'. But at check-in you get hit with a $30 carry on fee.
Bite me once is all they get. AVOID UNITED AIRLINES ECONOMY.
Their carry on fee was 15% of the flight cost!

Date of travel: December 2018
Reviewed 12 December 2018

I wonder how they hired such incompetent person to serve on board, I get it we're American and most of time we're chill individual but the moment when a male Asian flight attendant gives attitude to me a customer (I'm Asian too) just to show off, that is not acceptable! I'm a customer and you yelled at me and ordered me to takeaway the bag I understand that you are worried for our safety but please you don't need to yell and point the finger at me to get the message crossed. I feel humiliated and wish to never boarding with this airline ever again. I am a happy frequent flyer with China and Korean airlines.

Date of travel: January 2018
Reviewed 12 December 2018

I had not flown United in a very long time; the airlines serving El Paso are maily American and SW. The boarding process was efficient, the seats were comfortable (not rump-sprung), and the service was fine. Great flights, though I know the weather had a lot to do with that. I would not hesitate to fly with them again.

Date of travel: September 2018
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 12 December 2018

We flew in Economy Plus from Tucson to Houston on what appeared to be a new E 175 plane. The craft was larger than the usual regional jet, offering spacious leg room and ample overhead storage. The seats, however, proved to be a bit narrow with stiff backs giving rigid support that caused my back to ache toward the end of the almost 2-hour flight. I failed to find a position that gave relief and was happy that we did not have to spend a longer period in the air.

The boarding process went extremely smoothly. Only groups 1 and 2 lined up for the initial boarding and groups 3 through 5 remained seated. That kept a bottleneck from forming and likely got passengers seated more quickly.

Crew were pleasant and communicated often and well. For example, the flight attendant in our cabin announced the start of beverage service (included a packet of mini pretzels) and warned us to keep elbows, knees and toes away from the aisle. The pilot kept passengers informed about the flight’s progress and any expected turbulence. Staff really appeared to want passengers to have as good an experience as possible, an attitude that I have found lacking on many United flights.

Date of travel: December 2018