“Regional jet - surprisingly comfortable”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Return flight from Newark to Syracuse. 1145 departure left on time. Not a full flight so I can't comment about overhead storage. Flight arrived 25 minutes early.

1  Thank seawayguy
Write a reviewReviews (52,380)

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Flight boarded promptly and efficiently. Was a full flight but seemed to be enough overhead storage for all. No entertainment on board without additional cost. As it was an early flight, it was not necessary. 0619 departure and left on time. Arrival was 28 minutes earlier than scheduled. Over all it was good flight.

1  Thank seawayguy
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Our flight was on time and our luggage was handled appropriately. Although the flight was fairly long and as always I was a little anxious flying, the pilot helped to reassure me all was well. He made periodic comments stating where we were and when it would be a little rough. His calm voice made me feel I was in good hands. The ride was fairly smooth except for a few rough bumps passing the mountains. The staff was friendly and seemed to be caring.

Date of travel: July 2017
Reviewed 10 November 2017

I am a Premiere 1K member with United Airlines - their highest status in the Mileage Plus program and you know how I get treated by them? Terribly, that's how.

For the 2nd time this fall I showed up at the San Francisco airport to check in for a flight and there was nobody at the Premiere 1K desk. Oh, the monitors that said "Premiere 1K" were there, and a uniformed woman stood at the entrance to the line to make sure no non-1K passengers entered but there was no staff on hand. I stood there for a minute kind of expecting someone to pop over. They did not.

I asked the line guard if she could help me or get someone to help me. She was completely flabbergasted at the request. She walked away, went I don't know where, and a couple of minutes later was back at her post. She never approached me to explain or offer an apology. So I went over to the regular line and said "Excuse me, but I have watched you guys help 4 or 5 passengers from this line, and nobody is helping the Premiere 1K line. " (There were now 3 passengers in line including me.) They apologized and explained that they were just contractors, not United employees, so they could not check us in.

Now it's been 8 minutes I have been waiting, so I call the Premiere 1K customer service line. Sue listened to my concerns, then put me on hold for 10 minutes! Luckily about 8 minutes into my being on hold a new employee appears among the regular premiere lane. Oh, he didn't come to check on the 5 of us now waiting in the Premiere 1K line. He was answering questions from the people in the regular line, who already had 2 United employees helping them. When I attempted to ask him if he could help us he kept his back to me, showed me his hand and told me to wait a minute. Buddy, I have been waiting for lots of minutes already!

Emir was his name. He finally deigned to walk over to the 1K desk and sign into a terminal. No explanation. No apologies. From him or any other employee there. What is wrong with these people that this is how they treat their paying customers?!?

Every single one of the employees and contractors for United I interacted with had a bad attitude; from disinterest to outright disdain. I don't care if I was flying cattle class, that is not how a customer service employee should interact with their customer. Obviously there is something wrong with the culture and/or management at SFO.

I got checked in, finally, 17 minutes after I arrived at the desk and got into the security line. That's when the Premiere 1K service rep got back on the line and said, oh so helpfully, "Sir. You are going to be late checking in your bag." Really? You had me on hold for 10 minutes for that little nugget of wisdom. Super duper helpful. Not!

I asked to lodge a complaint and all I got, eventually, was a nice lady who kept saying "How horrible. That is terrible. I understand how you feel." She said I would never be able to speak to management at the airport, as all such matters are confidential. So I will never get an explanation or the satisfaction of an apology from an actual human worked in San Francisco. She kept asking me to "Give us another chance!" Based on what? All the good faith and follow through you have demonstrated to me?

3  Thank Tim G
Reviewed 10 November 2017

As a 1K member of United's Mileage Plus program I find they do a fantastic job of making me comfortable while traveling at a reasonable price. I fly a lot, always book economy, and get upgraded almost every flight. I've checked other airline programs and I would have to pay more, fly more, to get the same freebies and upgrades I get with United.

They also take care of my family very well. Never lose my bags, etc. etc.

Date of travel: October 2017