“We Recommend Flying With United”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 30 June 2017

We fly with United whenever we fly. We have a Mileage Plus Visa card and we charge everything we can. We thus earn United miles. We had enough miles to fly one way this past June to Raleigh, NC to attend the wedding of a friend and to spend one night at a hotel in Raleigh.

The flight home from Raleigh was excellent. We flew at night. Since the plane wasn't full the stewardesses encouraged people to change seats. I got to sleep pretty comfortably on three seats that were available after the stewardesses served pretzels and something to drink.

United offered WiFi for a charge. It would have been nice to offer that service free.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

On Monday, June 05, we flew Phoenix (PHX) to San Francisco (SFO), on UA 5603, in First Class on a EMB-175 (N202SY), operated for United Express by SkyWest. We were not able to get our “favorite seats - 2 C&D,” and were one row back, in 3 C&D, on the starboard side of the aircraft. The UAX EMB-175's are configured 1 - 2 in FC, and 2 - 2 in E/E+. The overhead bins on the portside of the aircraft, over the single A seats, are very small, but my briefcase fits into them, freeing up more room in the rather spacious bins, above the C&D seats..

The boarding at PHX went well, and we pushed back 3 mins early, for the short flight (1:32) to SFO.

The FC seats in the EMB-175 are comfortable, with adequate width and legroom.

The pre-departure beverage service started at boarding, and we went with the white wine (Jean Belmont Colombard-Sauvignon), as UAX does not offer a sparkler (Prosecco on the UA flights). This wine is fairly high in acid, and is not a favorite of ours, but will make do, in small quantities.

Our plane had both WiFi (for a fee), and PDE (Personal Device Entertainment), which provides streaming video, free, through the UA app. I used the PDE, and it worked well, but did not use the WiFi. The video offerings on UAX differ slightly, from those on UA flights, but the use of the UA App (must be downloaded, and installed, before the doors are shut) is identical. The PDE worked fine on this flight.

In-flight, we had a beverage service, and passed snacks. The chips are fairly good, though the volume in the bags is rather small. More were available, upon request.

We arrived at SFO about 10 mins ahead of schedule, and our luggage arrived onto Carousel 8, fairly quickly. We were headed into the City in minutes.

A very good flight, in all respects, and our cabin crew was excellent, as were the Gate Agents at PHX.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

Check in was lengthy due to the time of day most of the ticket agents were unresponsive as we were having an issue inputting our travel itinerary. After asking 3 times finally an attendant came over and assisted us. The airline itself was really crowded, my husband at 6'1" not a lot of leg room for him to stretch and seats very tight so I gave him my aisle seat so he would have a little more room. The flight was fine, but the flight attendants kept telling everyone to keep the aisle clear even while waiting to go to the bathroom. 1 positive there was a delay in takeoff so they gave everyone free TV viewing during the flight to compensate as we left 30 - 45 mins late. Overall okay nothing special

Reviewed 30 June 2017

Staff was very good b-4 we had a chance to sit down we had our beverages by the time that we put our stuff away, we never fly w/baggage since we are going to our vacation home Just a computer and magazines, staff took our jackets and were on point.

Reviewed 29 June 2017

I am a frequent flyer with United Airlines. The carrier's biggest hub is where I live. I started as a member of Continental Airlines up until it merged with United. The merge for sure wasn't the smoothest of transitions and to this day, the result airline is nowhere as good as Continental was but that's how it is.

Having status in the airline gives you priority boarding plus no charges for your checked bag. I like that part and I also like collecting miles that eventually can be refunded to get a round-trip ticket with the airline. I have used this feature in the past and was able to fly to South America for $69.00 which pretty much was the airport fees.

Now for the not-so-good. Since the merge it seems that the airline has come along with the rest of the industry in reducing leg room and eroding passenger comfort for the sake of cramming more people on their planes. The Boeing 737 is the most popular airliner there is. Unfortunately, the 737 is a whole lot less comfortable than its competition, the Airbus 320. The 320 has a wider fuselage which allows for it to have wider seats. I am 6' 2", just about every flight is a challenge of sorts. I would like the airline a lot more if they would just add a couple of inches of legroom to the economy class seats.

The whole industry is nowhere near as good as it once was. In the past, passenger comfort and good service were key for an airline's survival. Nowadays, it is all about cost per seat and how much can we squeeze out of the customers before they start to go away.

I had flights with United were the staff was fantastic and the flight pleasant enough. These days you need to pay in order to get a seat with extra room. Any flight I take that's over two hours long, I have to pay extra in order to be somewhat comfortable. Why doesn't the government regulate the minimum space that airplanes seats can be at? I don't get it. We live in a country with tons of tall and large people and yet, airplane seats are getting smaller and smaller.

I give United an average rating because they are not consistent and when things go bad, they really go bad. When they go good, it's fine but after all, isn't that why we pay to fly a particular airlines anyway? Shouldn't it be fine every time?

1  Thank elgreco_11