“A good low cost alternative”
Review of Spirit Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was my 3rd flight with Spirit so I knew what to expect! You don't get pampered but you do save money. I like that you can make choices and then pay for what you want. The biggest problem is their check in technology. They want you to use the kiosks or they charge you an additional money. However with both ends of this flight there were problems with the kiosks. If they want guests to use these things then they ought to make sure they work! My previous flight was the same story.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank boatguy1952

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Reading the pricing...it was definitely cheaper to fly 1 checked bag rather than 2 carry ons that we usually take to key West. I thought this year we would save by taking a cheap flight to Ft Lauderdale and rent a cheap car and drive the overseas highway to Key West.
We packed my bag that no matter how much you pack it never goes over 50 pounds. NO MATTER....THEIR LIMIT IS 40 POUNDS...CHA CHING 30 MORE DOLLARS FOR A 46 LB BAG.
Then I checked in on line and it kept asking me for bags. I chose no Thank you, and when got to the airport, my bag I had paid for on the return was erased. Now maybe I didn't check to pay for a return bag....but I know that I did. At the airport...GUESS WHAT I GOT TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL 50 DOLLARS FOR MY BAG. THE WOMAN AT THE COUNTER ALSO COULD NOT PRODUCE AN ITEMIZED LIST OF MY CHARGES....ONLY THE TOTAL. THE EXTRA 80 DOLLARS COULD HAVE GOT ME ON A GOOD FLIGHT WITH ANY OF THE OTHER DISCOUNT CARRIERS.
I WONT EVEN MENTION THE 3.00 SODAS OR 5.00 CHIPS OR NUTS.
Sorry Spirit, you're not for me.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
1  Thank margievet
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

No thank you! I definitely will not use Spirit airlines for flights longer than 2 hours. I went economy from Newark to Vegas and it was a horrible experience from checkin to landing. None of the computers were working so everyone just made it to their flight. There were a lot of very angry customers that day. Then I was overcharged an additional $55 for my checked luggage. 1lb over the 40lb limit (ridiculous that they make it 40 and not 50lbs like every other airline). I was supposed to be charged an extra $30 for my checked luggage. I couldn’t argue with Spirit at that time because we had to make the flight. I complained twice and finally received a refund when we got back from the trip. The seats were very uncomfortable so if you have back issues don’t even consider this airline. NONE of the seats recline. Not even the oversized seats, trust me we got them on the way back. Not worth it! For a 5 hour flight this is just not okay. Oh yea there’s no tv also and we weren’t informed of how to access the internet for a small fee so we figured we were on a plane that doesn’t offer WiFi. You also have to purchase all snacks and drinks. The ONLY thing positive about Spirit is that I believe the airplane is lighter so it moves slightly faster. So while it’s alright to sit in an uncomfortable chair for 1-2 hours I wouldn’t advise using this airline for anything longer. It’s just not worth it, even if you think you’re saving a couple hundred dollars, you’ll be paying for it either in extra fees or in back pain.

1  Thank Jea201
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

At the last minute my daughter treated me to a trip to Acapulco for my 50th Birthday being newly divorced so it was a welcome. Direct flights were over $1800 pp with the airlines we normally travel. I believe we saved a bunch booking Spirit but it still wasn’t cheap... last minute so we were cool with it. What infuriated us all was once we got to the check-in with our 1 suitcase each (carry on small roller luggage as we were doing the beach for a week so no need to bring a wardrobe) there was a charge for each “carry-on” bag that wasn’t cheap. On the way back (Spirit) we were re-directed in Mexico City missed our connecting flight to Ft. Lauderdale and Spirit wanted to charge us regular airfare to get another flight????? After hours of back-and-forth waiting in Mexico City, we were able to buy (cheaper) flights with Spirit to get to Orlando. Never again flying Spirit... oh and we were charged again for our carry-on bags like $110 per bag. No bueno!!

Date of travel: October 2018
2  Thank Sunshine38559745667
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First time flying on spirit
Terrible service
Delay on the flight
Won’t let u carry ur personal purse u need to put it inside ur extra bag
Some times try to save money will cost u more
First and last time using this airline