“Reliable and On Time Great Big Seats”
Review of Spirit Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I flew round trip from Detroit to Orlando. For those not familiar with flying or this airline, Spirit is an economy airline. The seating space is smaller than many rivals (by an inch or two) there is no free WiFi, beverages and snacks are not “free”, and you are charged a fee for checked bags and carryons. You are allowed to bring a personal item with you as long as it fits under the seat in front of you. In return, the plane tickets cost much less than most “full service” airlines. With all of the airline mergers, Detroiters basically have Delta and Spirit to choose from. Delta is known as a superior airline for comfort, but I find that if they put you on one of their old MD 80s, that their is not much difference in seat space or comfort. For a relatively short flight, I can get along fine without a beverage or being able to recline. For this recent flight, my wife and I upgraded to the “Big Front Seats. These are oversized seats in the front of the plane with only two next to each other instead of the usual three (no middle seat). They costs an additional $50 per seat per flight or $100 each. The Base round trip ticket was $160+$100 for the big seat+$60 for one checked bag ($30 each way). For a total of $580 for the two of us. On the return flight, our bag was 12 pounds over and we were charged $30 making the flight $610. At $305 per person, and getting the big comfortable seats, I felt pretty good about the flight and the costs. Both flights were on time, in fact we landed early on both each way. No problem checking in, boarding, and the plane was as clean if not cleaner than others I’ve been on. I like Spirit and the value I get. Having flown economy on Delta for this same trip, there is not much difference in terms of experience. I always shop them both. If you’re willing to splurge, the Big Front Seats are really a nice treat on Spirit.

1  Thank KennethR33

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Thursday Jake and I were headed home from our vacation. Our flight was leaving from New Orleans at 11:15am and we had a stop in Atlanta very shortly then head to Minneapolis and arrive in MSP by 4:05p.m. When we landed in Atlanta the Captain came over the loudspeaker letting us know that we couldn't park the plane because there was a plane in the way, he said it would take about 30 minuets and to hold tight. We sat in our seats for over 30 minuets as we realized we needed to get moving before our other plane left, to go to Minneapolis. We went to ask the flight attendant as other people were as well asking if we were going to make it. The flight attendant warned us that the captain with also flying the plane to Minneapolis so we were going to make it. When we got off the plane we went to find out gate and it shown CANCELLED :( Unfortunately we needed to find a flight and go ALL the way back to the entrance to the Atlanta airport. Jake waited for our luggage and I sat in line with the spirit airlines. Spirit staff were handing out these cards with a phone number on it. They asked us to call them while waiting in line, I called them twice the first time they hung up, the second time they told me that they can't help with connecting flights. I waited in line as many others were waiting and telling there stories of what Spirit airlines told them. When I got up to the counter to find an alternative, the young man just said, "Hi, were you on the flight that was suppose to go to Minneapolis" I said, "Yes" he said, "Ok" I then proceeded to ask him if he needed my ID, boarding pass, or Jake's ID he said, "Yeah I'll need your ID's" he types a couple things on his computer then tells me, "You have two options, 1.) I can credit you the flight 2.) I can find you a new flight"

I obviously needed to get home, so I said "when's your next available flight"

"The next available flight is going to be Sunday November 18th" (Let me remind you it was Thursday afternoon about 2:00)

I completely lost it, and said a little more then I should, "Are you kidding me, you can't get me out of here any earlier then Sunday afternoon? Do you realize today is Thursday today" (it went on way more and I couldn't believe that he really wanted me to stay there until Sunday.

"Yup, that's all I have available." -Spirit Airlines
"Do you have anything that stops but that can get me home earlier" -Ma
"Nope we only do direct flights" (very unapologetic, not willing to help me. - Spirit Airlines

I asked if they would compensate for a rental car, or a hotel to stay since we are stuck since SUNDAY
"Nope" - Spirit Airlines

So, I proceeded to get very emotional as I realized Jake couldn't pick up his daughter and would've had to call into work 3 DAYS !!!

So, as I told him to book it he interrupted me saying he found something but it goes to Detroit first. I was very confused at this point and asked him I thought they only did direct flights, Jake told me to zip my lips and just take it because he was getting us home, I was more upset that he lied to me.

Anyways, so we took the flight to home but we would be leaving Atlanta at 4:30 and arrive in Detroit at 8:25, and not leave for MSP until 7:30a.m. so quiet the long layover. We raced all the way through security and RAN to the gate to find out that they the aircraft was delayed. Then continued to get delayed 6 times. Very inappropriate customer service, not apologetic, at all. So we didn't leave Atlanta until Midnight (Friday morning) come to find out the Spirit airline staff warned us letting us know that there was an airplane there at 4:00 but no staff, to run the airline. They found staff come 10:30 p.m. Thursday night. The staff were FLIPPING A COIN on which staff HAD to go to get us home. IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE AIRCRAFT that was waiting to leave.
So disrespectful!!!! They ended up giving us, vouchers for $50 that need to be used in TWO MONTHS.

This is the worst and the very last experience I will have with spirit. After all reading this, DO NOT fly spirit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Although flight was delayed due to weather in Newark on my return flight. the crew handled everything very professionally and made the trip more enjoyable. We had some turbulence but it was very tolerable and we wound up getting to our destination in better time than anticipated.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I purchased a discount ticket with CheapOAir in August for a November flight. It was a blind purchase, not knowing the airlines until after purchase. The first half of the flight Philadelphia to Las Vegas was American. No problems. The return trip was Spirit Airlines, by far the worst airlines in America. I purchased an upgraded seat at $78.00 for seat 2C. It was an over sized seat, however did not recline. It was comfortable. The major problem was at the gate. I did not think a bag from the hotel or a gift purchased at the airport was considered a carry on item. Short version: I had to pay $65.00 at the gate for that item? In essence, if you bring a bag from the hotel, go shopping prior to your flight including in the airport, you will pay for that item as a carry-on at the gate. I will never fly Spirit again. Therefore, no more blind ticket deals!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I use spirit airlines every time I fly from Florida to Boston. It is a direct flight and as a member of their $9 fair club you get awesome deals. The seats are small and tight fitting but it’s gets you from point a to point b smoothly.

Date of travel: October 2018