“Horrible service and lots of arrogance”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 24 January 2021

Long story KLM denied us. Just spoke to the customer service supervisor at KLM, trying to get a refund, they will charge me $300 to refund money . I asked how she would feel if she were denied like we were. She said “we don’t care about your feelings, we have to follow policy”.

1  Thank Rawkhan123
KLM_Royal_Dutch1, Social Media Representative at KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2021

I regret to learn of this unfortunate experience. As much as I would like to address this matter on this page, you would be better served by my colleagues through our social media channels (Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp). Kindly provide them the link of our discussion here in TripAdvisor so that our representative can look into it and further assist you with the issue.

Nevertheless, I extend our apologies for any inconvenience this experience has caused you. Thank you and safe travels.

Write a reviewReviews (31,093)

Reviewed 23 January 2021

TLDR: I was denied flying because of a rule that never existed, then forcefully rebooked 4 days later, and the customer service is unreachable. Longer story: I was attempting to return to Zürich from San Jose. Because of the Covid, for that I needed a PCR test 72 hours prior to arriving to Amsterdam. Half a day prior to the flight they notified me that I also need a max 4 hour old antigene test prior boarding. I called them, they had no idea how is it possible to geet such a test for 7:45am when my flight was. I managed to do it at the end, and had every paper ready for boarding. The online checking was disabled because of government regulations. When I tried checking in, they denied me because I was in Costa Rica just for 13 days, and Europe has a rule that if somebody leaves Europe, he should stay there at least 14 days, and cannot return earlier. Yes, this is ridiculous. We called the consulate, he checked it and such rule never existed. After calling some head of whatever and discussing for ~40 minutes, they forcefully rebooked my to a flight 4 days later, but my visa for Costa Rica expires tomorrow, so I will have to stay in the country illegally. Not to mention that I have to redo all the covid test which costs around $200. For the question of how on earth is 13+4 days 14, and why don't they rebook me for tomorrow then, they were not giving an answer. I tried calling KLM but they don't have a 24/7 hotline and it was offline. I'm still trying to contact them but the phone hotline disconnects saying that the waiting time is >30 minutes. On the chat they won't respond. I will never ever fly with them again and am considering contacting a lawyer.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 22 January 2021

I Had great support from KLM team with flight changes due to Pandemic - the team was so helpful and didn't even need to pay for one of my flight changes.

Just wanted to say I haven't experienced such easy exchange with another airline before.

Date of travel: January 2021
KLM_Royal_Dutch1, Social Media Representative at KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2021

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. Our brand of service is one where we consider you as part of our family. Safe travels!

Reviewed 21 January 2021

I am a Pharmacist and a PhD student. I will never travel with KLM again- it has the worse and most racist checkin people. I had a really traumatizing experience with them that I couldn’t even sleep.
I asked for a name for bad behavior in a calm way at the start and they refused to give me and didn’t let me board. The airport is full of security cameras and it shows what they did to me. I was shivering heavily that people could see and I was crying heavily because of their bad behavior and at one point I felt that I was going to faint and there was no humane actions at all. I have reported them to the KLM but they pretended I was making a case about a baggage when I accepted without complaints to pay for it(although it was a 80cm x 15 cm mat and a cabin bag- when he told me I had to pay I accepted) (security cameras will show that I didn't even talk and took my card out and then he gave it to me for free because he said that the system is not working) after and only after my case was done and I was about to get my boarding pass to board I asked for his name because there was racist actions since I arrived to the check in desk and until the boarding desk. He refused to give it- His card was hidden and all the personal got involved there was 3 people against one 152 cm fragile girl traveling alone.
They keep pretending the issue is different but I know as soon as I came to the desk he was trying to take something to make me not fly he triple checked my passports the Swedish and British. He was acting like I had forged the antigen test and he did not even know what an antigen test was. iI felt he did not know the rules.

I had the right to get his name and complain for any reason I want and the managing company should have decided. But they refused and made a huge drama. If he and his team hadn’t done anything wrong why were they afraid to give me their name. And the ladies were so harsh, she got involved without even asking me why do you need his name for could we resolve it here! If she had done that I would have just said my point of view there and then and let it get over because I know it’s pandemic time and I don’t want anyone to loose their jobs at this time. But they all teamed up against me. The worse part is I was shivering and no one really did anything instead they got security to take me out of the airport. They treated me like a criminal.

I found it my duty as a British born citizen and Swedish citizen that loves Sweden to report racist behavior in an international airport. This is why I wanted his name!

I will never forget this traumatizing experience in my life at all. After this experience I am afraid and embarrassed and extremely shy to go into the airport.

Date of travel: January 2021

I regret to learn of this unfortunate experience.I will be happy to look into this and further assist you. Kindly share with us your personal and ticket information so this can be dealt upon. Kindly share this information to us through our social media channels (Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp) and include the link of our discussion here in TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 21 January 2021 via mobile

KL643 Schiphol to JFK January 2020

This was my last flight before pandemic. This was an Air France ticket and carrier in this leg was KLM

Flight was delayed for an hour as they had to swap the aircraft due to technical fault but there was no hassle as such as we landed on time due to tailwind

This was a Boeing 747 , 747 is my favourite aircraft so I feel bad for what I’m about to say , this particular aircraft had not been upgraded for many many years.

Inflight entertainment was there but the buttons in the screens refused to work

There were no USB charging sockets of course , no WiFi was an obvious

The plane made funny noises but we made it to New York without an incident

Cabin crew were friendly but looked tired

Food was really good. I had delicious meatballs with gravy and vegetables

I have flown with KLM on Newcastle Amsterdam flights before and I know their aircraft and service is much better than this flight. I’d say this was a one off

Date of travel: February 2020
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
1  Thank Gopronewcastle

Thank you for sharing your experience here in Trip Advisor. I appreciate that you took the time to send a comprehensive feedback as this would be helpful to further improve our services.

Providing an enjoyable journey to our passengers are very important and it is unfortunate to read that your expectations were not met.

Nevertheless, I extend my apologies for any inconvenience this experience has caused you. Thank you and safe travels.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.