“Awesome Airlines ”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

22 hour flight , very nice experience, a lot leg space , amazing staff . Definitely will travel with JAL again . Loved it ❤️❤️❤️

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I took the 12:40 am flight from Tokyo Haneda airport to Bangkok and found the schedule to be very efficient and effective. The flight departs late at night and arrives very early in the morning lessening the risk of delays due to airport congestion. Also by arriving so early in Bangkok, traffic time into the city is substantially reduced. I normally allot 1 to 1 1/2 hour to get from the airport to my Bangkok city hotel in the Silom area but was told by the hotel car driver that before 6 am in the morning, travel time from airport to hotel is only 1/2 hour since there is little traffic.

The flight is also well designed for sleep onboard. The seats are older shell flat angled-flat seats without direct aisle access for window seats but as I had booked the first row aisle seat, my seatmate in the window seat could easily step over my seat even if it is in the bed position as there is plenty of room between the seat and the bulkhead in front. The plane used is an older B777-200 with a 2-3-2 seat configuration in business class so if you are in the middle seat in the center section, access would be more of an issue.

As the flight departs past midnight, meal service is breakfast 1 hr 45 min. before landing rather than shortly after take-off. On boarding, each business class customer is asked to fill in a form indicating whether he or she wanted to be woken up for breakfast and whether the Western or Japanese breakfast is chosen. As a result, lights are kept dimmed from take-off until about 2 hours before arrival, I and most other passengers in business class immediately switched to bed position after take-off as soon as the seatbelt sign was turned off and managed a bit over 3 hours of sleep on a less than 6 hour flight. Also because it is such a late departure, pretty much everyone on board goes to sleep after take-off so it is quiet in the cabin and there is little to disturb your sleep.

The Western breakfast served prior to landing was impressively full in offering. There was a duck salad and a mushroom omelette, really good bun and/croissant, fruit and Greek yoghourt. As always, JAL services its special brand of coffee in business class which is among the best coffees I have had on a plane. My only criticism is that the coffee is not available for purchase and only served in flight.

On landing, getting through customs and immigration was very quick as there were not many other flights arriving that early in the morning so the usual long lines at Thai immigration was non-existent and luggage delivery was quick. From landing to getting into the car arranged through my hotel to arriving at my Bangkok hotel, it took only about an hour which is incredibly quick for Bangkok.

Overall, this flight is a good choice for an efficient arrival and to get full use of your first day in Bangkok on arrival.

Prior to departure, I used the Haneda JAL First Class lounge as I have OneWorld Emerald status. The lounge is truly superb. Lots of room in the lounge, outlets at all seats, good view of the planes docked at the gates and a great dining area with plentiful food options. There was even a cook to order section where a chef made grilled special Japanese cut of beef with either a Japanese sauce of a truffle sauce. There were two soup offering including a lobster bisque, a Western hot food offering of multi-mushroom pasta, two kinds of dim sum, Japanese udon and curry, and a selection of bite size cold appetizers including foie gras on toast. I arrived very early on a connecting flight that had landed in Narita airport and took the limousine bus between the two airports arriving more than 5 hours before my flight. The lounge actually is very quiet until about 10 or 11 pm when it suddenly fills up as Haneda airport has a number of long-haul international flights that depart late at night for an early arrival at their destinations.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

JAL continues to use an angle flat bed seat in Business Class on its B787 Dreamliner flights from Vancouver to Tokyo in a 2-2-2 configuration with the window seats not having direct access to the aisle. Normally this is not a problem as I always select the aisle seat next to the window seat, and the typical JAL business class customer is a Japanese man who is not very large and can get in and out of the window seat by stepping over the aisle seat without too much problems. This flight though, I had a Caucasian larger gentleman in the window seat next to me and he was not familiar with the JAL seat configuration. He had to ask the flight attendants to help and to wake me to fully convert my seat to upright before he could access his window seat as he was not used to the step over concept and as he was probably not too coordinated having consumed at least 4 or 5 whiskeys within the first couple of hours of the flight. This need to convert my seat from bed to seat position each time he had to exit or return to his seat made sleep difficult, so really given this is an overnight long-haul flight, it is time for JAL to upgrade this route to a plane featuring one of its more recent business class seats with a horizontal flat bed and direct aisle access from each seat.

Difficulties with my neighbour aside, the flight was fine and featured JAL's trademark superb service. The flight attendants were most polite in asking me to adjust my seat to accommodate the ingress and egress of my seatmate, were constantly cleaning the toilet after each use by a customer, and even paid attention to really small details like always turning the water glass each time they brought me water so that the JAL logo on the glass exactly faced the customer!

I had the Japanese meal for both the lunch and the prior to arrival snack and both were very good, featuring numerous little small bites with interesting seasonal flavours.

One relative weak point is the entertainment system, which has a much smaller selection of movies than for example Cathay Pacific has on its Vancouver to HK route. Also, many of the non-Western movies from Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, India etc. were only available in their native language and then maybe Japanese so that an English only speaker actually cannot take advantage of much of the movie and TV programs lists.

The plane is new and the service is superb, but the angled flat bed and lack of direct aisle access from each seat makes this business class offering a bit behind the times for an overnight flight where undisturbed and good quality sleep is a prime measure of
success.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Booked my flight with Japan Airlines. Seats actually have room. On the 10 hour flight from Melbourne, I never felt like I was crammed into my seat. Cabin Crew was real friendly and the price of the ticket was reasonably priced. Will fly this airline again.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Flew from Heathrow ,told at the airport I had not checked in online even though I had confirmed seats online and had also been advised I had checked in, after a very frustrating time trying to fathom the worst website I have ever come across. We had a flight from London to Helsinki via BA then joined JAL who immediately informed us they had changed our seats!! Premium economy too I was astounded and complained but was not fully understood, I did not want to cause a scene as the flight attendants looked suitably embarrassed and did not really appear to know what I was going on about . I have checked in again for the home journey and I will not be changing my seat again, be warned JAL. I am so angry about the situation but know that complaining will I imagine fall on deaf non understanding ears!