“Melbourne Australia - Milan Italy Return”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is the first time I've flown with Etihad. Melbourne to Milan return with a stopover in Abu Dhabi on each leg. I think the airline was pretty good; can not fault the service of the cabin staff and the food was okay; no better or worse than expected.

Where they were let down is in the plane itself. A 787 Dreamliner is too cramped for a 13-14 hour long haul flight; it needs to be an A380. We found both the Melbourne - Abu Dhabi legs quite tough because of this. The seats seem to be narrower with less leg room. Also there was almost no one sitting in the extra leg room seats near the bulkhead. I asked about sitting there and they said it would cost $US140 per person to upgrade. Absolute rip off; $US50 would be reasonable.

The flight from Milan - Abu Dhabi on an A330 was a lot more comfortable. I flew Melbourne - LA last year on a Qantas A380. This is a 14 hour flight and was a lot more comfortable. I would fly Etihad again but not long haul on a Dreamliner.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
EtihadHelper, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Marc,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We hope to see you again in the future to try out our A380, currently we fly this fleet to London, Paris, New York and Sydney,

Thank you. *Rose

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Etihad EY 402 Bangkok - Abu Dhabi

I am 200cm tall. Being this tall makes travelling significantly uncomfortable at the best of times, particularly with regards to legroom. Buses, trains, ferries, taxis, planes are all an issue, but usually quite easy to make more comfortable with a little forward thinking and time allocation to get there early and get the better suited seat.

I travel long haul fairly regularly, approximately 200-300 hours a year worldwide. I always arrive at the departure airport earlier than recommended in order to try and secure an exit seat with some extra leg room. Most Lang haul companies I fly with are happy to oblige free of charge. However, some companies see these seats as ‘premium’ and see it as a place to squeeze a little extra profit out of their customers despite the seats not actually being all that ‘premium’ (next to the toilets or kitchen and used as communal stretching areas for other passengers during the flight etc).

I do not agree that I should have to pay extra to experience the same level of comfort as other passengers just because I am taller than average and therefore taller than the plane was designed for. I really appreciate it when the company I am flying with uses a little compassion and common sense to try and provide me with a good service and seat that fits where possible.

On boarding, i noticed there were 5x empty ‘premium’ seats 3 rows in front of me. I demonstrated to the air stewardess (Olga) that I do not fit in the standard seat 18H and as such I asked if I could move to one of the 5x empty exits seats in front of me by the toilet and kitchen. This would not only make my trip more comfortable but also the passenger sat next to me and in front of me. Being this tall means I was taking up their space too or cannot allow for their chair to recline. She told me these were premium seats and cost $85. I explained that they are not premium for me they are just the only seats I fit in and it would be beneficial for other passengers as well as I.
Olga asked her manager and she again informed me that I would have to pay. I told her I can’t afford to upgrade to the ‘premium’ toilet seats every time I fly and asked if she could use an element of discretion and sympathy to allow for a better flight for myself and other passengers since the seats were vacant anyway. She declined again, repeating that it is policy to pay. I politely accepted her decision to remain glued to policy without any element of discretion or common sense being used and provided my standard and slightly embarrassed apology to my fellow passengers for any inconvenience caused by my height.

My two neighbouring passengers and I endured the next 6 hours or so. My knee in the isle being repeatedly hit by the trolley which resulted in the standard bruising I get due to a lack of care from the cabin crew when transiting up and down the isle.

We arrived in Abu Dhabi where another member of the cabin crew noticed my significantly larger height and frame when disembarking and kindly (albeit laughing at the same time) reminded me to “watch my head on the way out”. Although I appreciate her joking concern for my height related welfare, it was hard to take her seriously after the complete lack of compassion for the last 6 hours. Something that was noticed by the fellow passenger disembarking behind me who shook his head at her in disapproval at her remark.

Very disappointing for such a big player in the industry.

I am just about to board the EY 011 from Abu Dhabi to Heathrow and endure another 6 or 7 hours or so of discomfort for me and my fellow passengers.

I can only apologise for my height, but there’s not really a lot I can do about it unfortunately.

Fortunately however there is something airlines can do to help. A little compassion and common sense to allow tall, able bodied passengers to utilise exit rows. I don’t think it is a big ask from a multi million dollar profit making organisation in the grand scheme of things especially when hardly anyone on the last flight ‘upgraded’ their seat to premium and they remained empty the whole flight.

I hope you will consider this for myself and others in the near future as I do feel victimised.

Date of travel: November 2018

Hello, thank you for your review. We appreciate you took your time writing about your experience with us. We value your insights and need those to improve our service. Thank you. *Isi

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Excellent service and a very comfortable bed! The 14-hour flight Abu Dhabi to Sydney went very quickly as I managed to get 8 hours restful sleep. The service, food and amenities were all perfect. I highly recommend Etihad.

Hello Admiralpeter

Thank you for your big compliments and your full star rating. We appreciate you took your time writing about your experience with us. Thank you so much. See you again.

All the best
Haithem

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our flight departed in time 04:45 from New Delhi and reach Abu Dhabi airport right time. Great comfortable seats, superb meals and fabulous inflight entertainment package.

Date of travel: September 2018

It's great to read your feedback, Momad, thank you so much for sharing it here with us! We are very happy to know you enjoyed flying with us and we can't wait to welcome you back on board again soon! *Max

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm flying with Etihad once per month and it is a great arisen, with excellent service always on time.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)

Thank you for your review, Maurizio, we're delighted to be your airline of choice and we can't wait to welcome you back onboard again! *Max