“Gets you there”
Review of China Southern Airlines

Reviewed 23 October 2018

We found a decent price to Kathmandu,from SLC. We had layovers in Lax, and Gangzhou, China. It got us there. Staff are fine, not super professional, but fine. Seats were fairly uncomfortable, which makes the 15 hour flight from LAX to CAN purgatory. Entertainment is limited, but we could always find something to watch. Food was standard economy class airline food, not great, but edible. Drinks are limited. I have 2 complaints. The first is that apparently China will not allow knives to enter the country, even if it is in checked baggage that is going on through to US flights. My son had purchased a kukuri knife in Kathmandu. We packed it in our checked luggage, then went through immigration, and security, to wait at our gate. After a while they called several names overhead, ours included to check with the gate agent. We were told that we needed to go back to the check-in counter to remove the knife. So. I ran all the way back, took it out, they confiscated the knife, and then I had to go back through, immigration, and security. It is a China law, not an airline policy, but they should ask, when checking in, because there were probably 5-6 other parties with the same problem, so it wasn't just us who didn't know about the no knife thing. My second complaint is that during our long flight from Gangzhou to LA, my son was watching a movie, while most people were asleep, and one of the flight attendants came up and just turned off his tv monitor in the middle of his movie!

1  Thank mollymelanie

Reviewed 22 October 2018

Be prepared for a delay, apparently this is the norm, so get there early. Everything is in Chinese onboard. The staff are very busy and don't have much time - I would say polite but not overly friendly. Food is disgusting and drinks are warm.

Date of travel: September 2018
1  Thank John and Deb K
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Flew from Melbourne to Guangzhou to Delhi in economy. Nice plane and a really good vegan meal. There are no snacks available on long haul flights if you get hungry between meals so make sure you take your own! Movie selection was good but the headphones are terrible. You can’t hear anything- bring your own!!!!!!

1  Thank Maryke W
Reviewed 21 October 2018

Flying 10+ hours has never been so comfortable! Service was excellent, flight attendants speaking good English and always very kind and accommodating. Screens available to watch a wide variety of new English and Chinese speaking T.V. and movies, as well as music and games. Beverages were wheeled around every few hours on the long haul flights, but you could ask for some from the flight attendants at any time in the flight. Food was very good, about 1 meal every 4 or so hours. Even on a shorter 2 hour flight, food is still provided. Check in was a bit of a nightmare, but mostly due to the lack of efficiency on behalf of the airport. Each of the 5 flights I've had with this airline were fantastic.

1  Thank bernadette787
Reviewed 21 October 2018

Flight was ok and staff were nice. But the food was not good, which was surprising as my other long flights have had very good food for an airline. Also usually there is a chicken option for meals on flights I've been on, but for a couple of meals on the 14+ hour flight the options were only beef and fish. Suggest you order special meals if you do not eat beef and bring snacks. I was starving when the flight ended.

1  Thank NatureExplorerGal