“A once great Airline reduced to rubble”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Let's just start by saying that BA used to be fantastic, great customer service and of course..there was the Concorde which I was lucky enough to fly on. I flew hundreds of thousands of miles between 1995 and 2010 and used to send countless of our customers and family members to BA. I always felt safe since their pilots have great skills due to the fact that they have to land in London weather on a constant basis if you know what I mean and I experienced a couple of landings where BA was the only airline having no problem to handle the situation. However...recently the entire BA experience has turned into the worst nightmare imaginable. When my dad passed away a few weeks ago I had to organize the soonest possible flight back to Switzerland, my wife was joining me but needed to fly back sooner while I wanted to be able to spend more time with my mom flying back a few days later. First I tried to open two windows in order to guarantee that both flights with different returning dates would be available. After finally finding decent flights (2 connections) I tried to book the first just to learn that BA will not allow you to pay and complete the booking if you have a second window open! How idiotic is that since you have no choice to book both flights within the same window. So I closed one hoping to still catch the second flight for the same price with the same availability. And here is where the outrage starts with BA! After jumping through hoops in order to get BA to accept an American Credit Card the site replied by saying "we are currently not able to complete your booking", no explanation whatsoever. After multiple attempts and 4 hours into it I finally made it back to the same booking (every single booking timed out after complying with BA's requests for identification purposes). Now I used all the info from Visa verify with the representative on the phone to make sure the reservation could be completed. This time the transaction was simply declined saying that I would have to contact my bank. As I said, I had the bank rep on the other line and they said there was NOTHING on their side preventing the sale from going through. Essentially I was NOT able to complete the booking for neither one of us. Next step, I called BA and by now it was midnight there was no office open anywhere to make a reservation. So I waited until the next morning to call BA. After being on the phone for over one hour explaining the difficult circumstances and two different returning dates the lady confirmed that there is simply NO option for a customer to book two flights at the same time and guarantee the price for both. She found the flights and promised that I could book both of them through her. After completing one booking she then proceeds to tell me that "guess what, the price for the second fight just went up by $2,000". SHAME ON BA, this is their typical scam to betray customers. My wife and I flew to Switzerland during summer of 2015 in separate cabins because the decent business class rate I was quoted online was able to be completed for her but when I tried to book my own flight, once again with a different return date (both of them showed the exact same price regardless of dates) my flight went up over $4,000!!! after telling me that the second flight could not yet be booked because BA encountered a "technical error" which lasted for 2 hours!
Needless to say, I ditched all efforts to negotiate with BA and went straight to American airlines. They on the other hand, as a code sharer had no problem whatsoever to book both flights, same price same cabin! But....and here's another however...we could NOT reserve any seats hence guaranteeing that we would sit right next to each other on our flight to Switzerland! We were told that we would have to contact BA directly once the reservation code is known. I did just that 1 hour later to find out that now, there was only ONE SEAT available online in the entire premium economy section even though they just sold 2 Seats!!! by now I am at the end of my wits, remember my dad just passed away I was grieving terribly and had to re-organize my entire life to travel for the funeral. Now I'm on the phone on hold for 30 minutes plus to reach a BA-representative hoping they would be able to help. BA clearly has no longer an interest in serving it's customers, their customer service is without a doubt somewhere in a third world country with reps barely speaking english in an understandable manner on a connection impossible to hear. You would think you could get some help while grieving the loss of a loved one but NO, BA again shows no empathy, no apologies and worst of all ZERO interest in making sure that my wife an I would at least be able to sit together while grieving. After more than TEN HOURS on the phone multiple times with the customer "service" (don't make me laugh) we were NOT given any seats together and had to hope we would be accommodated once arriving at the airports and gates. If you thought that anyone by now knowing that we were headed to a funeral would try to help us think again. NONE of the BA flights granted us a seat next to each other and we had to fly separate ALL THE WAY because we were told that all flight were totally packed and no seats were available at all.
Once on the plane we realized that a couple sitting next to each other in isle seats were given both seats next to the window, a preference I told BA I had. We were NOT given that choice and ended up sitting apart from each other EVENTHOUGH there were 2 seats empty on the plane!!! How is that now completely disrespectful showing how little care you have for your customers.
In essence, BA is now a garbage company almost displaying a distain for customers in need of assistance in any shape of form. The business practices are appalling and the conduct of everyone at the airport, on the phone and even on the plane was with one exception (nice flight attendant on JFK to LHR flight) disgusting! I fly a couple ten thousand miles per year and will make sure that in the future none of our customers, friends and family members visiting us here in the US will ever use BA again! The next recession is probably around the corner and BA, you will be remembered how you treat customers when times are good. don't send me anymore offers the next time you can't fill your planes because people stay home and can't afford holidays. You and your ridiculous business practices probably developed by some yuppie 20 something year old wanna be economist cutting cost on all corners will learn again what it means to serve customers in bad and GOOD times. Bye bye BA, hello Richard Branson and Virgin air.

2  Thank yuerg

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is literally the worst airline I have ever taken. Food was very poor quality and the staff members weren't that friendly. The price was reasonably great though (Pay for what you get)!!

1  Thank Osama1997

Nov 20th, 2017:

There's a renovation at the usual GATE A3, therefore boarding was on GATE 2 this morning.

Not as spacious as GATE 3 but the agents make do and we are well on our way promptly.

We arrived in London with ten minutes to spare

Nov 17th, 2017:

Flight is now at 1920hrs, not 2000hrs. We are back in the winter time schedule.

The Gate opened as expected at 1835hrs, boarding was swift and everything was timely.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From the moment you check your bags you feel like you are the only one flying. The Stewards and Stewardesses treat kindly politely and are always tentative to your needs really the best I have ever encountered Domestic or International. Food was actually pretty tasty and well thought out. No 11 hour flight in economy is comfortable but the seats were not that bad. Overall this is my third time flying to Europe and British Air is way ahead of its Competition.