“Worst travel experience I’ve ever had”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Recently traveled to Sydney Australia from Texas using American Airlines. The trip there was fine, no issues except the cramped seats. The trip back however was a nightmare. To start we were delayed leaving due to “maintenance issues.” The captain came over the speaker and told us they were dealing with a few maintenance items and we would soon be on our way. About ten minutes later he came on and said they were waiting on some paperwork to be signed and we would soon be on our way. We finally start to move when the plane stops and the captain announces that we have to sit for another ten minutes so they can burn off excess fuel to get the gage where it needs to be. At this point I’m beginning to wonder if I should even travel on this plane. Finally we leave and the 14 hour flight is what you would expect of a 14 hour flight. Long. The bathrooms in the rear of the plane were out of order so there was almost always a constant line at the other restrooms. I finally land in LA where I have (thanks to the delays) about an hour and a half to make my connection. I receive my boarding pass in an orange envelope that is supposed to expedite my process so I can make my next flight. I get through customs pretty quickly and wait fifteen minutes at the claim for my bags to come down. I hurry with my bags following the instructions of the airport employees. I get to a rude man who is scanning the tags on everyone’s baggage. He scans mine and gives me no further instruction so I head over to the line that says American Airlines. There are only 2 employees working so I wait about 15 minutes. When I finally reach the counter, the lady takes my boarding pass and types on the keyboard for about 5 minutes never speaking to me. She then finally looks up from the screen and says “So what’s the problem? Like why are you here?” Word for word. I can’t make this up. I then use every ounce of willpower I have not to freak out on this woman. I respond “What do you mean why I am I here? Why are you here? I’m following the instructions I’ve been given!” She then informs me that I don’t need to be there I just need to take my bags over to the carousel behind her. I go to take my bags and she stops me with “Oh wait, you can’t make your flight now.” I look and see that I have just under an hour to get to my gate. I tell her I still have an hour and she says “Yea but you have to take the shuttle you won’t make it.” She then types on her board without speaking for another 5 minutes and I think maybe she’s pulling some strings to help me out. She hands me a new boarding pass and tells me to take my bags to the carousel behind her. I respond “Oh! So I can make this flight?! Great!” She then says “No this is a ticket for the next flight” I once again try very hard not to lose my mind on this woman. She never asked me if I was okay with taking the next flight she just gave me no choice in the matter. Not wanting to be kicked out of the airport I put as much distance between me and this woman as I can. I take my bags and do as she says thinking maybe the shuttle takes a lot longer than I imagine and I really wouldn’t have made my flight. I get some food in my system and get a book for the now 7 hour layover I have to deal with. Afterwards I take the same shuttle I would’ve taken for my original flight. It takes a whopping 3 minutes. 3 minutes!!!! And I still had a freaking hour to catch my original flight and “I wouldn’t have made it” according to the idiotic employee. It being too late now, I settle in for the layover. I go to the gate my ticket says. I wisely decide to double check once my flight gets closer and sure enough my ticket has the wrong gate. I go to the right gate just a few down from me thankfully. I catch my next much shorter flight. It is cramped as well but uneventful. I land after what has now been almost 30 hours of travel and I receive a text from American Airlines telling me one of my two bags is delayed.......I live 4 hours from the airport so I now get to wait on them to ship it to me. Thanks American Airlines. You really know how to screw a person.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

The American shuttle to NYC remains a 1st class operation. It runs every hour and changing flights to earlier departures is encouraged
efficient and smaller aircraft means no middle seats
nice touches like free magazines and the wall street journal still exsist
easy to check in and easy to board

Reviewed 20 February 2018

We booked with Alaska for our return flight home. They had our first flight with there partners American Airlines. This was the first time we have flown with AA. Check in was easy and fast. Everything was on time and no problems. It was an almost full flight. But it was still very enjoyable. Staff was really friendly. The leg room was on par with most other airlines. Always would be nice if there was more. everything was very clean. We defiantly would fly with AA again.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

Our last minute flight change secondary to the snow storm went very smoothly. We ended up flying out of a different airport and when we realized our vehicle would be at the wrong city they were accommodating to get us on a rather full flight. i am not sure if we were not flying up front if that would have happened but it speaks volumes for when you are in that position.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Front desk woman for the airline was rude and ignored our question regarding the paid for reserved seating; she told us to "just hit continue and just finish the process." She stated we had to accept the seats even though we told them they were wrong and told us to move on heough security and that someone at the gate would be able to help because she couldn't do anything for us there during the check in process. At the gate, we were told there was nothing they could do for us, even though we were AA members who paid for the upgraded reserved seating. He told us it should been handled at check in and he would try to contact customer service. Customer Service informed me there was nothing they could do for me either and that the person at the gate to my connecting flight once we landed would have our reserved updated seats. We landed 10 hours later and no one had even heard of the request. They told us to file a complaint and there was nothing they could do unless we wanted to pay an additional $200 per ticket for their mistake. After traveling for over 15 hours already, I gave up on the now ~$200 they have for the extra reservations we had made and cancelled my AA membership since it obviously does me nothing. No one at the airline (asked ~8 people) could answer what "preferred seating" got me either. Overall, horrible service and after several complaints with a templated response to my complaint which was obviously overlooked by several lawyers, I will never fly American Airlines again.