“rude customer service - glitches with phone messages”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 16 December 2017

one segment of my return flight was cancelled 1 month prior to departure with no offers initially of any way to return and representative hung up on me per phone - I was upset but not rude - called AA back and this time the representative was more professional and did book me on totally different return flights that were much longer with an additional segment and different cities - phone call voice mails continued telling me to call as there were changes made to my flights and when called back there were none so obviously there are glitches in their phone system - personally i think could be related to the news I heard that american inadvertently scheduled too many pilots off for the holidays and thus this could very well be an attempt to fill/change the backlog created - after this flight I will avoid flying american like the plague

• Food and Beverage

Reviewed 16 December 2017

Recently my 81 year old mother under went surgery on one of her legs. She has been in ill health so our family decided it would be best to fly her home so we can take better care of her. Although she is mobile...it is painful for her to walk any significant distance. We called American Airlines to see if there was a way to provide her with wheelchair service to get her from one gate to another. They said for her to mention when she got her boarding passes that she needed assistance. Well of course we were concerned that she may try to go it on her own but hoped she would remember to tell them before leaving the counter. Well AA definitely did better then we expected because there was someone waiting for her at the curb before she was even out of the car. The gentleman wheeled her to the ticket counter, through the boarding process and even stopped to get her a sandwich before getting to her departure gate. Same wonderful service when she got to her layover airport and then right to the car when she was picked up at her destination. Thank you AA for taking such good care of our Mom!

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

ONE supervisor in Denver deemed my passport too damaged to fly, even though Customs, TSA, other Airline supervisors and eventually Aruba itself said my passport was acceptable. She refused to let me fly until I paid $200 for a same day expedited passport- the next flight wasn't until the next day. She was wrong and would not make the day up to me. It was a 6 day honeymoon, cut to 5 because of her erroneous and biased judgement. I was told two different reasons by two different people for the loss of my trip. Seems very suspicious to me. Perhaps they overbooked the flight and stole the day from us. That's 20% of my trip, a lost hotel and rental car. As well as the passport fee. Very expensive. American Airlines has refused to compensate for any of it. They abuse their power. Will go out of my way to not book with them again. Check out Aruba Airlines, US Air, Jet Blue ...

Reviewed 15 December 2017

The flight was a bit delayed arriving from Charlotte, NC, but not too much...the second leg was also had an ontime departure dispite the fact that it was a full flight. The flight itself was a bit bumpy due to the weather, but nothing very disturbing. Arrival was very close to the original flight time arrival...all good. The flight returning,however, was a bit annoying...the main issues: the Air Tower had our plane decending to land too close to the other flight in front of us causing the dreaded "go around"...this lost us our place in the queue to land and that delayed us...then we sat on the tarmac while we waited for a gate???seriuosly?...then waited to cross the active runway...reasonable ,but the worst was the wait at the gate...no one there to operate the jetway, etc. So, we had to wait several minutes just to get off the plane...AND, we had another connection that was getting closer by the minute! We literally ran from the "B" concourse to one of the last gates in "E" concourse...a l-o-n-g way !

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

On the way to New york, AA left me with a bitter taste. On the way back home 3 weeks later (NY TO MANCH), my mum and i arrive to the airport to see our flight is delayed by 4 hours. We checked in with horrible check in staff around us. We kept having an issue when trying to check in using the machines (the fact business class is self check in for long haul is laughable). An angry staff member came over and managed to print our boarding pass. It said ‘seat to be assigned at check in’. I didn’t like the look of that. Since we were so delayed i thought i’d take my mum to the lounge. The lady who greeted us asked why we were there. I answered with ‘ummm we are flying business class’...she responds with ‘no you are not you’ve been downgraded your flight is over booked’ - i told her there’s no way i can have my mother go on a 7 hour overnight flight without a bed. I would risk her health. Besides, we paid (with money NOT MILES!!!) for business class seats. They couldn’t get us on any other flight 7 hours later so she suggested we fly out tomorrow. She couldn’t release our luggage but gave us boarding passes for the same flight, next day. And said just go straight to gate you are all set for tomorrow. We booked a hotel and spent an extra $700+ on getting back and forth from jfk, buying fresh clothes etc. We had NONE of our stuff. We go back to JFK the next day expecting a straight forward day. Little did we know there was another 7 hour delay. And they did an equipment downgrade. Which meant there was no flat beds or even a business class!!! The plane was 25 years old at least. How an airline deems that acceptable is beyond me. After a 2 hour argument with multiple AA staff members in JFK (all useless AND rude) the best they could do was get us on a flight to Heathrow. I pleaded that my mum recently had open heart surgery and what they are doing is unacceptable and risking her health. They wanted a drs note. Imagine that. Lucky for them, i am one of my mums drs...in the flesh. The person who asked for drs paperwork will probably never make that mistake again. I don’t live in London, i live in Liverpool which is 140 miles away. Flying me to heathrow was no ideal but we had no choice but to accept. Our alternative was flying economy when we paid business. And my taking an active risk my mother will be upright over night and unable to lay down. Anyway, We landed, got a train from Heathrow to Paddington, a taxi to Euston, a train to Runcorn then another taxi to my house. Maybe it was a blessing they messed up our luggage because doing that with just our passports was exhausting enough. This also added an insane amount to my list of unnecessary expenses. Our luggage, by the way, arrived 6 days after we arrived. I’ve contacted them and they think AA vouchers (and an insulting amount, might i add) is enough to keep me quiet. What a disgrace of an airline. They cry and complain about gulf carriers being unfair competition. Well, quite simple, they are better. I’m never flying AA again, nor will i ever recommend anyone to use them. The staff are incompetent and the services are soooooo backwards compared to what else is available (for the same price or less). The customer service online, the on board staff and the on ground staff are all useless, impatient, rude and incompetent. I truly regret the day i made the decision to use them last summer.

2  Thank Abdulwahab A