“Poor customer service, lack of interest in passengers”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Boarded the plane in Phoenix @ 9 pm, 1st class, the seat held a large bottle of water on it. Flight attendant came around after take off, asking what we wanted to drink. The tv screen came down, no attendant came around asking if we needed head phones. Attendant came around offering a spread mix or cheese plate. This all took place within 1 hour from take off, did not see the attendant again until we were ready to land in Boston, a 5 hour flight. If this was happening in 1st class, what happen in economy. The flight attendants were lacking standard customer service skills, it was like the passengers were a burden, instead of a vital part of American Airlines existence. I will definitely take American Airlines ONLY as a LAST RESORT. It bad enough that American Airlines loaded their passengers into the plane like cattle going to market, but also to treat a paying passenger with no respect was awful.

• Food and Beverage
1  Thank Howard W

Reviewed 20 September 2017

On Sunday, February 26th, I called AA and spent over an hour speaking to a representative who helped me pay for a lap infant so that my child could join us on our international flight. I gave the agent my credit card number and assumed my paid my fee of $256.92 to reserve the lap infant went through. I have automatic withdraw from my bank account and to my own fault, never went and double-checked that the charge actually went through.

Upon our arrival in Salt Lake City (AA flight 1305) on May 4th, the agent confirmed my son’s registration and proceeded to print him off a boarding ticket. We then boarded the plane and flew to our intermittent stop to Chicago. When we arrived to Chicago, it was at that point that we would be transitioning to British Airways to continue flying to our destination – Munich, Germany (BA flight 296). When we went to print our new boarding pass to continue flying on, we were flagged and told to speak to an agent at the desk. That British Airways agent then told us that my son was not registered as a lap infant and that I would have to call American Airlines to sort out the issue.

I then called American Airlines and spent the next 3 hours on the phone with one of their agents (we only had a 4 hour layover), disputing what had happened. AA has phone record of this too, as it has been confirmed to us. That agent proceeded to confirm our phone call on February 26th and the amount that was documented to charge for the lap infant of $256.92. She then continued to tell us that my son NEVER should have boarded the plane in Salt Lake City since the agent made an error and didn’t process the charge correctly. At this same time, my husband was on the phone with our bank desperately trying to find the charge on February 26th, only to confirm the AA agent had never actually processed the charge. The agent we were speaking to told us that the agent that spoke to us on February 26th made such a “big mistake and the agent is now going to be fired.” The only way to rectify the issue was to get us to pay for a lap infant so we could move onto our flight without having to miss it since it was less then an hour away at that point. The agent told us we would then have to pay $600 to move forward. We sat on the phone for a while longer disputing the fact that we shouldn’t have to pay $600 when we called months in advance and should have to only pay $256.92. Plus, how was our child able to board in Salt Lake City, isn’t that enough proof? We were then told that AA would take care of us once we returned from our 3 weeks trip and we could dispute the difference in charge at that point. That is most definitely not the case and we’ve received nothing short of terrible service since trying to dispute this since we returned home.

This issue in the airport caused extreme turmoil for my small family. We were extremely emotional in the airport trying desperately to figure this out so that we wouldn’t miss our flight to see our family waiting for us in Germany. We unfortunately couldn’t find water for our formula anywhere in this area in Chicago and my premature baby was hungry and screaming for a majority of the time because we couldn’t get your agents to understand what happened and how to move forward with the correct course of action. Considering I took care of this months in advance so that this process would be nothing but smooth. Traveling with a small infant is already driven with anxiety, and this experience with your company made things considerably worse.

Since returning home at the end of May, we have gone back and forth with the AA customer service/claim department. We have sent dozens of emails and didn’t ever hear responses. We finally disputed the charge with Citi Bank (through the AA advantage card), and were under a claim with them for 30 days. Finally, through a dispute, AA finally responds and told Citi that we essentially had to pay for a lap infant and that is what the charge is for. Through exhausted efforts, no one is listening to our entire story and why this is such a big problem. No one is willing to admit the fault of AA, except for the agent we tearfully explained to in the airport.

So to recap: three months ahead of I take care of a lap infant payment, an AA Agent confirms with her that she did, this AA Agent makes a mistake, we spend 3 hours of what we were hoping to be a relaxing time before we boarded onto a 10+ hour plane ride with our infant, "resolving" the issue. The supervisor couldn't pro rate the price we originally paid for the ticket, so we needed to spend $600 to "resolve" the issue. I was then told to get a refund, I would need to spend my time and go dispute this online after I had already spent almost 3 hours on the phone trying to resolve it. I am now spending more of my time after I get back from my vacation dealing with an issue that was caused by one of AA agents.

We spent almost 3 hours fighting for something we NEVER should have had to deal with and it was because of one of AA agents not processing something correctly on AA's end, we went through hell and back to make our flight on time. This caused so much stress for us, meanwhile our baby was screaming the entire time while both my husband and I were on the phone trying to resolve this and get on our flight. For a family who has the AA credit card, pays a massive amount of money so they can have points to fly with you, and refers you to other individuals so that they do the same. I'm so disappointment in AA and can only hope that they can rectify what has been a tiresome time consuming for my family and myself.

Words cannot express the disappointment we have in American Airlines and the unfair treatment we've received during this process. We were never compensated for our time and trouble for your agent’s mistake and were then told AA couldn't do anything and that we would then have to pay again. We have spent so much money using our AA advantage card to gain points to finally travel free for our family to finally see our new baby. We had thousands of dollars in medical bills due to his premature nature and gaining points to travel for less was the only option we had at the time to be able to see family. This was supposed to be such an exciting and stress free time for us and we've done nothing but fight with AA to receive something we should have received in February when I called to complete this the first time.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

While traveling to and from Kansas City MO for a football game trip I was amazed to see how small the seat have gotten on aircraft. I was appalled after I spent extra money for more leg room when clearly the seat I sat in was just big enough for a teenager, I only bring this up because I paid extra for an exit row seat which I have to be ready to jump into action if something goes wrong on this aircraft. I can bet the time it would take the average sized person to pry themselves from the small seats should be better spent try to help passengers get off of the aircraft.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

We booked with american airlines as they were cheaper than others I hadn't heard good reviews but reserved my judgement but sorry what I heard was right the crew on both journeys were not very nice their manners were not good made you feel as if you were asking for a million pound if you asked for anything and their appearance was not good at all the stewardesses hair were just scruffy and hanging in a mess they certainly do not take pride in their appearance I think delta were very good and we will be travelling with them in the future and not recommending american airlines

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Flight home to Manchester, the flight was smooth but noticeably what made this flight extra special was the crew that were on board. Notably we were travelling in a large group, the way they looked after us was great. Their compassion towards the recent tragedy in Manchester added a personal touch to the flight and something I think was very nice!

• Food and Beverage