“Low cost airline charging premium prices”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Lets start at the time of booking. I used a popular website to compare various flight options. Most airlines had cheaper offers to Christchurch but only Air New Zealand operated a direct flight. Sitting on an airport with two tired teenagers is not my idea of an holiday and I decided to pay the premium for the direct flight.

Onto the Air New Zealand site and started the bookings. Adding a meal and a movie added several hundreds to the price, and if you wanted to allocate your seat you had to hand over even more. This was like milking a cow and I decided we will bring our own entertainment and snacks and did not include movies and meals. I understand that a meal will cost the airline, but how they can charge you extra for the movie is just wrong. I closed my eyes and made the booking, forking out additional money to allocate our seats.

One week before we fly I get an email. Your flights have been cancelled due to engine problems with the 787. Several days later I got an update that we have been transferred onto a Virgin flight via Melbourne. I phoned Air New Zealand and asked if they could again allocate our seats and was told that they could only do this for the Melbourne - Christchurch leg. At this stage I was not a happy camper because I paid extra to allocate the seats and to fly direct. Tried to contact their customer service department but they only worked office hours. Send them an email asking them to contact me about this. Lets just say I received an "we are very sorry" reply 7 days after our flight. Took matters into my own hands and the nice people at Virgin were able to allocate us some seats.

So we flew via Melbourne and eventually got to Christchurch 4 hours later than the direct flight and dead tired. What a way to start your holiday. The flight to Melbourne on Virgin was great as I expect from and airline, but the Air New Zealand leg from Melbourne not as much. They started serving us water from a jug. This was a first for me as I usually just take the bottle of water and consume it during the flight. You now had to sit with a plastic cup on your tray. Probably what you would expect from a low cost airline.

I was looking forward to the flight back, but this was not any better. The flight was full, I think there were one or two seats open, lots of people with little kids. Again they served us water from a jug. Later they came round with tea. I got served but they ran out of tea trying to serve my son. They said they will come back with more, but this never happened. Low cost airline? The cherry on the cake was that they did not have any Australian Customs Declaration Forms on board. Arriving in Perth you had moms with bubs sitting on the floor trying to complete these so that we could get through the airport. Very poor.

As a rule I try to be open and not to criticise, but this has been the worst airline that I had the pleasure of using and will go out of my way not to use again.

1  Thank Arno F

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Staff were courteous and professional. Plane was clean and well kept. everything cost extra, so if you didn't pay for a meal, you will not be getting anything, even on a long flight.

Reviewed 20 January 2018

We flew business class from Houston, Texas to Auckland, New Zealand (and return) on Air New Zealand. Their Boeing 787 business class is laid out with 9 rows of 3 seats which convert into flat beds. The flight attendants are totally professional and absolutely personable; it was a pleasure to fly on this airline. The food was fabulous and the wine selection is as good as you'll get on any airline.

The Auckland airport lounge is the best we've ever visited. Clean, modern, great food & drink; the personal showers are a must after a long day waiting for an evening departure!

Select a seat in the last row (row 9). There is a large platform next to your seat that can be used to hold your hand carried items, so it frees up more legroom for you. The other 8 rows don't have it!

1  Thank phil c
Reviewed 20 January 2018

We had 4 Flights with Air NewZealnd, we paid $25,000 for 7 people to travel Premium Economy from Melb to LAX and the staff are very unhelpful and often Rude.
On all 4 flights, they were out of at least 1 meal (E.G.Chicken or Beef, Sorry no Chicken left you are having Beef!)
Then at Auckland Airport, they decided a plastic toy Light Sabre was TOO dangerous to have on the plane and confiscated it from my 13year old Daughter.
VERY POOR FORM.
Don't waste your money with these people!

1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 20 January 2018

Was a bit late in leaving it caught up time and arrived at the expected arrival time. Staff are always great and accomodating.