“Comfortable seats with friendly flight attendants”
Review of Air New Zealand

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Our flight was about 2/3 full making that in and of itself unusual. The flight attendants were very friendly, taking the time to talk with passengers and making them feel special. It's a quick 1+ hour flight from Wellington to Queenstown, and the baggage came up very quickly.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

New business class seats that are fully lay flat, but a strange configuration, difficult to see out the window, and I could see all the passengers sitting in the middle row.
Crew were attentive and helpful. Meals reasonable. Although the first course was as requested, a vegan meal, but was very tasteless. Not because its vegan as vegan can be delicious.
Happy with the flight and would fly ANZ again.

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

We had a late evening flight, with on time departure. Excellent food and beverage selections. Traveling for 13 hours is not easy, but we really appreciated the movie options, blankets and pillows to make the trip easier. Thanks for the wonderful flight!

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

In November we travelled during the night to Hong Kong with Air New Zealand, and a return night flight a fortnight later, but this time we paid the xtra hoping to get a better experience and a little more sleep than travelling economy which is what we have always done. The long haul flights in economy seem a little arduous now that we are not so young anymore. We were not disappointed. The service from the flight steward was far better than we had ever experienced, using our christian names each time they bought meals or drinks. The meals were better, the pillows bigger, the blanket better and the little compliamentary pack contained more including a wee toothpaste and toothbrush. More leg room was appreciated and the foot rest made it easier to stretch out to sleep. Although quite a bit pricier for each ticket we felt for us it was well worthwhile. We feel we arrived early morning in HK and NZ feeling a whole less tired than we had on previous trips in economy. Would travel this way again for long haul flights.

4  Thank 656glen49
Reviewed 17 January 2018

I recently flew with Air New Zealand roundtrip from Los Angeles to London for the holidays on their 777-300 and was honestly very excited to finally try this airline. I had heard great things and had never flown a "luxury" airline before, the closest being Virgin Atlantic (which is who I usually fly on my trips to London). But having found a very nice price for Air New Zealand I thought it would be worth spending a little bit more for the extra comfort and booked it. However, I now regret that decision.
First, I found the seats to be less comfortable than a lot of other airlines I have flown with. As previously mentioned I usually fly Virgin Atlantic and they seem to have more padding in their seats. I am by no means a large person (5'6" and 123 pounds) so the size of the seats doesn't usually bother me unless they are tiny, but these did feel pretty narrow and they were so hard that sleeping was extremely difficult (I usually find it very easy to sleep on long haul flights). I will say that they recline very nicely, but when reclined they leave a gap at your lower back that you need to fill with one or two pillows or else it would not be comfortable at all.
I was also underwhelmed with their food. I called ahead to get their ovo-lacto vegetarian option and it was not enjoyable at all going either direction. It has been years since I have been that disappointed with airline food, and it just didn't stack up against Virgin, Lufthansa, British, KLM, or any of the other international flights I have been on in at least the past five years. On the way back I honestly couldn't eat half of it before giving up and trying to go back to sleep.
The entertainment options are fine, they don't have a fantastic catalog but it's nothing to be upset over. I don't doubt that anyone could find something they would want to watch on their menu. However, I was extremely disappointed to find that they do not have Wifi on their planes. I did not think there were any upper end long haul airlines that didn't have Wifi capabilities in 2018. If I had known that I probably would not have booked with Air New Zealand, as someone with pretty severe anxiety I find it important to have the option to contact friends back on the ground while flying for so long, so that news was jarring and upsetting (but I should have looked that up myself prior).
The option to order drinks and snacks directly from your screen is definitely nice. There have a large selection of alcohol available for their economy cabin, including sparkling wine. Unfortunately, on my return flight they ran out of most of the snack options (of which there were three) fairly quickly so if you wanted anything to eat you had the option of cookies with fruit in them and nothing else. You can also still get sleep masks, tooth brushes, and ear plugs for free and the blankets they provide are nice and plush.
Overall it wasn't a particularly bad flight either way, but I wouldn't say they were great or even really good either. Given this airlines usual price point and reputation however I was highly disappointed and would definitely suggest going with another airline.