“Excellent service and rightfully best regional airline year after year.”
Review of AEGEAN

Reviewed 3 September 2019

I had a flight from Frankfurt to Heraklion, Crete, through Athens. The Frankfurt airport changed the gates 5 minutes before boarding so Aegean had to reschedule a lot of things and delayed them 45 minutes. They handled it good. Condor couldn’t check my bags to Crete so I had to pick ‘em up at Athens and due to some delay I missed my flight. This lovely, sweet and just beautiful woman was more than helpful and booked us a hotel room and put us on the next flight. People like that truly make a difference and have a positive impact on the company’s image. Grateful for the help and satisfied as always. Thank you Marilena.

Date of travel: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (12,174)

Reviewed 2 September 2019

As a family with kids we're travelling once to twice a year. Never in our entire life have we been humiliated by an airline such as Aegean. This was our first and last time flying with them.

Normally I only use airline apps for getting getting boarding passes since we only travel with small carry-on bags. As I was travelling from Istanbul airport to Manchester (with a a stop in Athens) I was very worried and anxious for 48 hours for receiving only the first set of boarding passes + I was irritated that I would have to stand in a queue without having any bags to drop off.

On the day of the flight we decided to go very early to the airport to sort this out, especially since the app adivised us to seek help from a Aegean representative at the airport. At the airport we coudn't find their office until we asked for help and found out that we had to go to a Gözen office. I was confused and didn't know what it was. I thought that Aegean was called Gözen at IST since this was our first time at this airport. They guy at Gözen couldn't help us and told us to go to the check it which wouldn't open for another 6 hours.

Once check-in started to open they started to check out people before they were allowed to go to the actual check-in. They were very rude and made us feel like being illegals or having forged passports.

We were asked several security questions. They asked us even for tickets. I was suprised and wasn't sure whether I had them because you normally don't need them as they can find everything in their system with merely passports and with the airline code you can access the app.
Even though we told them twice before we were going to Manchester, they asked us how long we plan to stay in Athens.

They told us that our EU passports weren't enough to travel with and that they needed to see an additional photo ID like a driving license.
On top is this they asked us why we were travelling to the UK on a Dutch passport? They wanted to see proof that we were legally living in the UK. They seemed to be oblivious with regard to EU rules and that you are free to travel through EU with any EU passport. Still they wanted to see a driving license.
I was in total shock as I didn't know where in the 4 suitcases I threw my partners wallet. They made us sit on the floor and open our suitcases and look though them one by one while all other passangers where watching us.

And as if this wasn't enough. Since the Gözen (hired by Aegean) guys were Turkish, they were very rude and disrespectful towards me as a woman. I experienced this is Turkey before but from an airline as Aegean you would expect a more European attitude. Their superviser (black blazer) told me twice that we wasn't talking to me but to my partner, even though we were together and I'm the one who is always taking care of all the paperwork and suitcases.

Once the Gözen guy was approached by an Aegean staff member, the Gözen guy apologised twice to my husband as if I as a woman was not important enough to be apologised to.

I felt discriminated and humiliated by this whole ordeal. I was really angry and upset left me in tears thought the rest of the flight.

At that time we didn't know with whom we dealt with and they also didn't explain us. They only said that they were doing their job only. Later on when I Googled Gözen I learned that they were a third party Turkish security company that Aegean had hired.

In Turkey it's normal to carry an ID but this is not the case in the UK. If they act like this right now, than what are they gonna do after Brexit as EU citizens won't have any ID cards. Everything is online nowadays.

This whole Gözen security thing is completely unnecessary since passport control takes a facial scan anyway. All this does is ruin your reputation and make people avoid Aegean and all other airlines who use third party security companies.

The rest of the travel and transfer through Athens and the checks at Aegean in Athens went without troubles. Since I plan on travelling more often to and from Istanbul I will avoid Aegean as long as they use the services of Gözen.

OTHER comments:

- The flight from Istanbul to Athens was delayed by 1,5 hours. From Athens to Manchester delayed by 15 to 30 minutes

- Very sad that Aegean does not provide vegetarian options unless you pay extra beforehand. We were given a chicken sandwich which my daughter opened. That was very disgusting and we gve it back immediately after the coudn't tell us whether it's halal or not.

- The male flight attendant from Istanbul to Athens was very nice and helpful. When he saw my daughter having a nose bleed he immediately gave us tissues and ice to apply between the eyebrows

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank samydar
Reviewed 2 September 2019

Real frustation when I got inside the plane: Aegean business class is EXACTLY the same as their economy class, the only diference is that there is a cortain after the second row of the plane separating it from the others rows following. Ah, they also block the middle seats on the so called business class. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank luizhorowitz
Reviewed 2 September 2019

Charter flight 17.08.2019 Bucharest -> Heraklion and 24.08.2019 Heraklion -> Bucharest.
Everything OK.

Reviewed 1 September 2019 via mobile

I wish I took photos of the two flight attendants on A3 618 they acted flat out racist to me and another Asian girl from France . Such a shame for the airline

Date of travel: September 2019
    • Value for money
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.