We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive family beach vacation for myself and three children that also has a short direct flight from nyc area. (I was thinking of staying at the Bellevue.) No frills is fine, but I want somewhere safe and appropriate. Boca Chica seemed to fit the bill until I read some of the forum reviews. Any feedback (or perhaps other destination suggestions?) would be greatly appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,190 posts
347 reviews
1. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

My advice in one word....NO

BObk

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

And another no.

It's usp is not family holidays.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
1 review
3. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

No.

From NYC you have non stop flights to PUJ, POP, LRM and AZS, all of which are suitable for families.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

Boca chica is the pits. What dates are you looking at? Perhaps i can give advice on a location to visit, thatsinexpensive. p

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
5. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

and another NO. How about Samana Peninsula? Flights direct from NY to El Catey. Samana Peninsula is very family orientated and safe and friendly

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
6. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, I want to travel the week of 2/15. It could be a 4/5 day trip, dates are somewhat flexible, but given that it is president vacation week here in NY, most flights are very expensive. The Boca Chica trip was financially feasible and now I see understand why. So glad I checked. If anyone knows of another (nonstop flight) inexpensive, beach locale for that week, I would love to hear about it. Thanks again. (I will check the flights mentioned in one of the posts above-much appreciated.)

nyc
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

Its tough coming from ny with those dates are tough.

For a vacation this time of year, the resorts are charging $200+ per night for the lesser resorts in bayahibe and punta cana.

Those 2 locations is where you should look at. Getting there , by taxi is $100 each way to bayahibe (1hr), and $200 eachway for punta cana (2hr). Thats 4-5 people from sdq airport direct .

You can do bayahibe in an all inclusive or a regular motel/apartment. Motels could be had for under $100 we recently stayed at Hotel Bayahibe for $75 per nite and it included a free breakfast, and loungers on the public beach.

The average meal on the beach is $10 , and at night it may cost a little bit more in the village. There are many boating excursions as well.

You can also mix your airports , such as jfk to sdq and lrm to jfk or add puj in the mix.

If you have points or miles "rewards" , you can check out jetblue for flights on points deals. I just saw some deals on points and the DR was cheaper to get to than florida.

So, do a little more foot work to maximise your budget.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
8. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

I am going to research these options now. Thanks!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
299 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

Seems like the votes are in and it's a NO for Boca for family vacation. I agree. if you are flying into Las America's look into Bayahibe, about an hour away on the new highway. Perfect for families. Gorgeous beaches, plenty of day excursions to nearby islands for snorkeling and diving, and the nearby national park. Bayahibe/Playa Dominicus is also great for just chilling on the beach all day too. I don't know about flights from N.Y. to Punta Cana or better yet La Romana, but if they have flights to La Romana and the price is right , then fly into La Romana, Bayahibe is only about 10 minutes away from the airport, and most resorts will pick you up at the airport. Otherwise as I'm sure you have noted, flights to Las America's are the cheapest.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?

Hi! For a family vacation Bayahibe is the best choice! You can fly to La Romana, Bayahibe is about 15 mins away from the airport. In Bayahibe you will find great beaches, quiet neighborhoods and a bunch of activities to do.

For instance, check out https://www.facebook.com/kenavotropical

Your kids will love it!

Hope this helps, enjoy your stay!

Edited: 04 March 2015, 20:01
Reply to: Boca Chica ok for family vacation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Boca Chica