We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

We (couple) are finishing our vacation in Sri Lanka. Currently in Tangalla, we need to go to Colombo town tomorrow (2/12/14).

Our current plan is a taxi to Matara and train/bus from there. We do not want to ride long rides on crowded cheap busses as we already experienced that from Ella to Tanamalwila.

When in Matara I doubt we can get the raj A/C train ticket on the spot. We will try to snatch 2nd/3rd class train ticket and hurry to a seat. But we may also not get a ticket for that.

Where in Matara where can I board/buy ticket for a 'luxury' express bus for Colombo? Any other advise?

Thanks a lot.

Peter

ps. Love Sri Lanka, had a great time.

6 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,740 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

Hi Peter,

1] Afternoon Rajadhani Express train to Colombo. Buy over the Internet.

2] Bus stand, luxury express bus to Kottawa or Kaduwela. Seat guaranteed, luggage bays, uses the E-way, open aisles.

3] Ditto, normal AC express bus to Colombo Fort. Seat guaranteed, no luggage bays (have to pay extra seat for luggage), no aisles (sardins in a can).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

Hi<Erik> & [Sandya],

Thank you for you swift and precise advise. Sounds great. Locations marked on maps and plan made.

Cheers

Peter

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

how often does the luxury ac bus leave matara for colombo? my flight's not till 6, so should be fine to leave in the morning - but not if i have to stand around for a couple of hours. Is there any timetable (lol) anywhere?

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

Hi,

AC bus option is only via expressway from Matara up to 3 different destinations. Those are Kadawatha, Maharagama & Kaduwela. Enough luggage space.2 per hour.

No AC buses starting from Matara along coastal road. But enough normal buses to direct Colombo fort like 2-3 per hour.seat guaranteed.wait for next bus is worst case. ThenCF to air port you can use air port expressway buses starting from CF central bus stand.same 2-3 per hour.

BRgds

Edited: 09 August 2017, 16:32
Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

Expressway suits me just fine. Airport is my final destination, but Maharagama then uber from there works fine. I'm not trying to do this as cheap as possible, but also don't want to spend $100 on a car.

You live here? I'm wondering about (at a really high level) - issues with moving here, buying land here? Quite like it here. Just at the very initial stages of thinking about having a base here.

Edited: 11 August 2017, 18:43
Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best bus from Matara to Colombo?

Kadawatha is more closer to air port hence replace Maharagama by Kadawatha. Kadwatha to air port i think LKR 2500 by a car driver.

Luxury AC bus service through expressway recently started from Matara to Negombo via Colombo air port. So direct bus to air port. As per current update leaving times are 7.30 am and 1.30 pm. But It may be with better frequency for the time being.

BRgds

Reply to: Best bus from Matara to Colombo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matara