We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Sri Lanka, Costal and Mainland Area.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Travel to Sri Lanka, Costal and Mainland Area.

Hi

I am planning to a trip to Sri Lanka from 11th Dec 17 to 17 Dec 17.

I want to spend 4 Night at Matara area and 3 Night at Kandy or Sirigiya area,

any one can suggest few things as follow

1. what can be sight seen option from Matara

2. can we cover Matara to yale in 1 day

3. is it possible to do Scuba diving at that time

4. is there any Night Bus service from Matara to Kandy or Sirigiya area.

5. what sight seen would be best near Kandy area. or can I do Sigiriya and Dambulla in One day.

please suggest

4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
184 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka, Costal and Mainland Area.

Hi There,

i hope Others will help you for 1, 3 and 4 Question.

Regarding to the Yala Visit, you may go on afternoon Safari, if you leave from Matara by 10 Am (Approximately 4 Hours Travelling) you can do evening safari from 2.30 Pm to 6.00 Pm

but after safari, you may need another 3.5 to 4 hours travelling back to Matara, i would suggest you to leave matara by 10.00 Am over night stay at Tissa after your evening safari.

Hope i answer your question, let me know if you need to know any details about wildlife tours to yala

Best Regards

Prasanna Ambigaibagan

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,570 posts
229 reviews
2. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka, Costal and Mainland Area.

Hi there,

1. See top question on day trips. Even a few relatively new ones which are even on OUR bucket list ;-)

3. 50-50% chances of sea being calm enough then

4. Nope solely to Colombo. Which in turn has night buses to Kandy and Trinco (through Dambulla near Sigiriya).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
317 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka, Costal and Mainland Area.

1. what can be sight seen option from Matara:-Whale watching(Mirissa),Beaches Not that much

2. can we cover Matara to yale in 1 day:-possibility is there.But once you back from safari it will late night.because almost 4 hours it will take back to matara.

3. is it possible to do Scuba diving at that time:-Not in matara but near by areas yes available

4. is there any Night Bus service from Matara to Kandy or Sirigiya area.:-yes some times available for only kandy not for sigiriya.

5. what sight seen would be best near Kandy area. or can I do Sigiriya and Dambulla in One day.:-in kandy area many sight seeing and things do to(peradeniya botanical garden,udawaththa forest,kandy tooth temple,city tour,upper lake city view).lso sigiriya dambulla can cover in one day

thanks

Level Contributor
33 posts
4. Re: Travel to Sri Lanka, Costal and Mainland Area.

In Matara you can visit the Matara Fort,And if you are keen on seeing Blue whales this will be the best time to see in the Mirissa Sea which is just 30 mins from Matara Town.

If you take a train or a Bus Ride to Galle you can visit the famous Galle Fort built by the Dutch.

You can also do Scuba Diving in the Unawatuna Sea,from Matara it just 50 mins .

All the Best

Reply to: Travel to Sri Lanka, Costal and Mainland Area.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matara