We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night temperatures

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
353 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Night temperatures

Hi

What temperature should I aspect at night when sleeping in the tent in Erg Chebbi? Guess that the temperature is not going to be cold right? Is a tshirt ok?

23 replies to this topic
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night temperatures

When?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,227 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night temperatures

Very uncomfortably hot at the moment with SHADE daytime temperatures of 44°C for Saturday (which will feel like more than 55°C in sunlight). At midnight the temperature will still be over 30°C and eventually dropping a little to 27°C just before dawn.

Personally I wouldn't be heading there right now.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night temperatures

I'll be there on the 1 august

Yeah Tim I know it's hot...

Edited: 08 July 2016, 23:34
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night temperatures

Roadster76, you really ought to reconsider going to Erg Chebbi at that time of year.

In a tent?!

Insane.

May or November is much better.

• Choose a location on the Atlantic coast or in the Atlas mountains if you can only come in August.

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
233 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night temperatures

Yes it is hot here at the moment, I think around 40°C and its fine in the day if you find a bit of shade or take a swim, it's quite comfortable during the evening and is a good time for sleeping outside, no more than a tshirt etc is needed. It starts getting hot in the desert soon after the sun comes up,

It's the busiest time of the year in Merzouga village and stays busy until mid/end August., the reason being that we've got many visitors from all over Morocco taking their holidays and enjoying sandbathing (not for the faint hearted). It's the time of year when the main village street is closed off to cars and comes alive with pop-up shops with interesting characters selling all sorts of weird and wonderful things, the nomads have brought the camels for fresh milk and the cafes and restaurants are open all day and well into the night.

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night temperatures

At night on August 1st it could be around 30-35°C...? I've been there at the end of September and slept on the dune outside the tent with temperature around 25°C (39°C during the day).

IN the tent...you'll have sauna after sunlight heating the already 45°C air for hours, until it cools downs to bearable temperature at midnight, I think.

California
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night temperatures

Temperatures similar to our, aptly named, Death Valley. Nobody goes to Death Valley and stays in a tent in August!! Heed Tim!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night temperatures

Guys I knew it would be hot, just wanted to know if a t-shirt was ok at night...

I know it's not the best time to visit the desert, but that's the period I have vacation and didn't want to go to Morocco to see the beaches..for that I had chosen another destination.

Anyway have been also at Death Valley NP in august and I'am still alive..

I'll be sleeping in a bivouac and if it's so damned hot I'll sleep under the stars :)

Edited: 09 July 2016, 12:52
Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night temperatures

That´ll be really great...check the moon just in case. The second time I´ve been in the desert I couldn´t see the "thousand" stars because there was an incredibly bright full moon until sunrise, lol.

Edited: 09 July 2016, 14:28
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night temperatures

just checked the moon phase, no full moon on the night I'll be there so hope to see the stars

Reply to: Night temperatures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Erg Chebbi