We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
373 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

Hi! We are going to be in Roatan for one day. I've narrowed it down but I'm a little confused still. We dock at Coxen Hole. We're looking to go to West Bay. We need loungers (maybe free if we eat and drink there, which we definitely will be doing), bathroom. Wifi would be great but not necessary. Was looking at Beachers, Bananarama and Tabyana. Also, what would a taxi cost to get there and do we need to make arrangements for them to come back for us or are there taxis available to go back? I prefer not making arrangements because every time we do this, we end up waiting forever for the pick up to go back. Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

Beacher's offers day passes with transport included. www.beachersroatan.com/cruiseship-packages/

Bananamrama offers transport included day passes. bananarama.com/activities/…

Tabyana is day pass only, through the cruise ship bit of land between Infinity Bay and Grand Roatan. I believe they have shuttles back and forth from the ship.

Taxi are not regulated on the island and can be very expensive, if you go that route make sure you arrange round trip transport and pay them when you get back to the ship. Another option is to hire a private driver who stays with you and will take you anyplace you wish, there are several tour guides on the island. I would not rely on available taxi in West Bay, never mind they know you need to get back to the ship and will charge accordingly.

For me the choice would some down to location, if you wish easy access, boat free, reef snorkeling steps from your lounger, Tabyana is the answer. If you want to set up at one of the other spots and walk down the beach to snorkle or are not going to snorkle, Beacher's would be my choice,,,the food is wonderful.

on a side note, while I understand some people choose not to pay a day pass, I do not believe it fair to do so and expect to use the potties and showers. Several years ago Bananarama cracked down, they built a fence and hired guards to keep better track of there resources. My own opinion, mileage may vary. :0)

Edited: 22 July 2016, 21:09
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
373 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

Thank you. Beachers it is! Appreciate the time you took to write.

Augusta
Level Contributor
508 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

I wish Trip advisor allowed people to "Rate" answers for helpfulness and content, because, I feel like your answer (Nomadic) was on point. (Including your side note). Follow up question though:

I had the feeling that Tabyana was a "Cruise Ship Excursion", that you had to pay via the ships and take busses there. It felt like that to me,(I stayed at Infinity bay) that it was a ship excursion. If that is the case, I'd vote for the other two. Also, the distance between Bananarama chairs and the beach at Infinity bay (best place to start snorkeling from in my opinion) is not very far. 1/4-1/2 mile maybe?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
373 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

I'm going to do Beaherrs. It was at the top of my list and this sealed the deal.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

Make sure you order the Coconut Shrimp there!

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

Beachers has amazing Monkey La-La's too!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
373 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

So if I have it figured out - do I?? -- we'll take Bodden Tours or Rony's. Beachers is a free lounger with umbrella if you get your food and drinks and Bananarama you have to pay for your lounger? I think I need to stop researching a little, lol

Denver
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

Beachers, Bananarama, or infinity Bay are all good choices. Bananarama has more of a middle location on the beach, showers, restaurants, and bar and good security which gives them a slight edge.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

I've stayed at Bananarama and spent many hours lounging at Beachers. In my opinion Beachers has the edge with better food and drink specials all day, but yes, it's an extra three minutes to walk to the reef.

Dallas
Level Contributor
181 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed with choices in West Bay - help?

I agree with Beachers, a great spot, good bar food and drink specials and it is away from the larger crowds at Bananarama. However, be aware of algae in the shallow water 50 yards down the beach towards Fosters. Apparently there is a pollution issue that affects the shallows.