We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Sudbury, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Safety

Hi,

I've been looking into the Infinity bay Spa and Beach resort. We would like to go visit around mid January for 7 days.

My question is; Is it safe to tour the island ( Roatan) by ourselves? Either renting a car or bike?

Would anyone recommend it? If yes, what is a must to see?

Thank you very much for your time.

Sylvie

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
91 reviews
11. Re: Safety

OK Ian this is way way off topic, but I wanted to comment on your interest in relocating out of canada. For years the Honduran Lempira was extraordinarily almost boringly stable against the $US, until recently. In the last 2 years the Lemp has slid pretty consistently to a current all-time low, about 20% below what it had been over so many years. But now as you know the Loonie is in the tank too, so much so that it has even depreciated against the Lemp lately. While Canada's problems are temporary, driven by commodities, Honduras has no commodities so its currency is driven by trade and speculation. So if I were to predict, I'd say that the Loonie/Lempira exchange will recover, and the Lemp will not be the greatest hedge against a temporarily depressed Loonie. So my advice (and I'm not a currency expert though I play one on TV) would be that you do have time to familiarize yourselves with Roatan and other options and there's no need to rush, especially when the alternative is to end up with a house or a country that you're not happy with. But weight that against the direction of real estate market prices in Roatan was well as your ability to endure yet another Canadian winter. Returning now to the original topic.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
12. Re: Safety

So we could summarize and say touring around the island of Roatan with a hired driver is safer than trying to survive a Canadian winter with no tropical holiday reprieve and also that you should exchange your Canadian dollars to lempiras before you come.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
3 reviews
13. Re: Safety

No no no, Better to exchange Canadian Dollars for US Dollars which are accepted everywhere on Roatan, That way if things change and you choose not to return you can use leftover US Dollars in Canada , Ever try to shop in Canada and pay with Lempria?

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
14. Re: Safety

Ditto Sparkykittycat.

I recently met two want-to-retire-in-Roatan couples who came to do a look-see. Although they thought it was nice place to visit, both couples decided it wasn't quite the island they had envisioned as their dream retirement island. One of their biggest concerns was the lack of a large hospital. Rumor has it that they're building a medical facility on the 2nd floor of the mall, but, sigh.....I'm not holding my breath.

Life on the island is like that.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
14 reviews
15. Re: Safety

Good advice Kitty (post#10).

*Large* hospital? How about a "hospital" period. No matter what they build they still need qualified staff to make it work. We have not returned after my last experience where I needed medical care. I can't convince my wife to give Roatan another chance... she was more conscious of what was going on than I was. Maybe that is why....

IMO Roatan, although a beautiful island, is not the place to retire.

16. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2016, 09:47