We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipwreck dives

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
170 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Shipwreck dives

I've heard there are quite a few shipwreck dives to do in Roatan. I LOVE shipwreck dives. I've had some really awesome shipwreck dives, and others that were just not worth it. Which ones are an absolute must? 1 month until I'm on the island. Can't wait!

Edited: 07 March 2015, 00:35
Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipwreck dives

The most popular "sunken ship " dives are your basic sunk on purpose wrecks, If you really want great wreck dives then maybe look to Chuuk

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipwreck dives

Micronesia -- Saipan, Palau.....anyplace where they had real battles, especially during WW2, have shipwreck dives. Feels like someone is tugging at your fins. Then again, it's a grave site, so......

Roatan's shipwrecks make nice homes for groupers and have no wandering spirits. :-))

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipwreck dives

There is a natural shipwreck off pristine bay

Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipwreck dives

I have only been on two. The Odyssey and El Aguila.

This site will help.

subwaywatersports.com/About/….VPokMeHfLb4

I really love the El Aguila because of the variety of dive you get. Be one of the first people in the water and be greeted with massive groupers, when you hit bottom you get to see thousands of garden eels, then there are three swim troughs and then the wall. What a fantastic dive and one of my favorite.

The Odyssey is a massive ship that is rather eerie. You get on the bare sandy bottom and look up to see this massive ship towering over you. You get to swim through a staircase for a few floors, but it is a rather boring dive if you want a variety of sights.

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
170 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipwreck dives

Bill both of those sound great! I will do both of those for sure. Thanks for your time.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipwreck dives

Note that you can have a list handy and make requests but depending on how long you're staying, your dive shop might not be doing both dives in your time frame. That said, I did both in less than a week last June with a small dive shop that really catered to us - it's part of the reason we chose them. http://www.scubaroatanhonduras.com/

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipwreck dives

El Aguila has been well described. Best place to see large groupers and garden eels. And there's lots to see inside as well. There's usually an old green moray under the stairs which likes you to tickle its chin, carefully. This is a popular site, so there are often several boats trying to drop their divers. And maybe the group ahead of you is on nitrox, so they can hang out there quite while. I have logged over 100 feet depth on most dives there. The ports and passages are safely large but you will still bang your tank. Some nice swim-thrus on the reef wall just above the wreck. Some dive shops will not want you to go inside, but fooey on them. This would be an interesting dive even without going inside. Needless to say, it's not for beginners.

On the south side is the wreck of the Mr Bud, smaller and tighter than el Aguila.

I have to say, after you have been buddied up on this dive with one of the site's huge sad-eyed groupers, you will not want to face delicious grouper on the menu ever again.

Edited: 07 March 2015, 04:43
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
468 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shipwreck dives

The wrecks in Roatan which I know about for diving:

The Odyssey (north side) sits at 110 ft

El Aguila (north side) sits at 110 ft

The Josie J (north side) top is at 165 ft, done as a tech dive

Mr. Bud Wreck (south side) the smaller one of the list, but still pretty neat (not exact on the depth, but shallower than the others)

The Prince Albert (south side) at 60 ft. accompanied by a small plane wreck. This one has so much life on it. The only place I've seen a goliath grouper on the island. Across from Cocoview Resort.

I would love to make it to Truk Lagoon someday, but since you are asking about Roatan, there you go.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shipwreck dives

Marcoa, we just went on the Prince Albert and Mary's place, ran into that Goliath grouper, OMG he was huge and the wife almost ran into him as he was leaving the wreck. So cool. The only bad thing about the Prince is the water is usually cloudy because of the light silt in the water. But all dives are good dives. Marys place was teaming with life, lots of great swim troughs. That was one of the best dives on Roatan by far!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
San Rafael...
Level Contributor
538 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shipwreck dives

We've done the Odyssey and El Aguila many times. My wife is a big wreck fan, and loved them both. But a couple dive operators won't let you penetrate, so hopefully you are with one who will let you. Plenty of people on these forums have said these wreck dives aren't all that great. We've done plenty of wrecks, and we really enjoy these every time, especially going inside.

Edited: 14 May 2015, 10:51
Get answers to your questions about West Bay