We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand play for kids?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sand play for kids?

Hi,

We are traveling with our 3 girls next week and staying at Grand Roatan next to Infinity Bay. My girls LOVE to play in the sand, ect. Does anyone know if we can do that in front of the Grand Roatan during the day without them getting eaten by sand fleas? I plan to spray them with bug spray, ect....but was curious if anyone had done this recently with kids and if they got bit. Does anyone know if they spray that beach to help out with that problem? Thanks so much for any information....

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Infinity Bay Spa and...
2,329 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Shore Excursion: West Bay Beach with...
34 Reviews
from US$ 50.00*
Free Cancellation
Snorkeling Tour from Roatan Island...
1 Review
from US$ 36.00*
Free Cancellation
5-Hour Roatan Island Cultural...
73 Reviews
from US$ 30.00*
Free Cancellation
Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand play for kids?

Our grandson played in the sand along that stretch of the beach daily just a few weeks ago and experienced no problems what so ever. While he was loaded with sunscreen we did not use any bug repellant on him. The sand was always free and clear of any garbage so maybe they do rake it daily but I can't say for sure, as for spraying the beach I have no idea as I've never seen it done. Some people the sand fleas love and some they leave alone.

Enjoy your vacation!

Mary Jane

"Never Sweat the Small Stuff"

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand play for kids?

Just as a double check I'd get them off the beach about 1.5 hours before sunset .... if they are to get bitten this is when it will happen. The sand fleas are most active at dusk and dawn.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand play for kids?

Yes, as SKC mentions, timing is everything.

If you are on any "inter-tidal wash zone" (of which the sandy shore makes up a small part), there are prevalent sand fleas (no-see-ums).

If there are no sand fleas, that means that in addition to "raking", the property ownership is almost always spraying the area with an eco friendly mixture of... of... of... well, it's DDT, which is still allowed in Honduras. Your kids can play in it, sand fly free, and then it will be washed down onto the surrounding Coral reef structure- something which is a long term thing and current vendors could care less. An invisible fact, but a fact nevertheless- If there are no sand fleas, there is chemistry... and I'm not talking about herbs from the bush.

It may affect their future reproductive DNA, but really, what could it hurt for 1 week if you coat them in DEET? The sand flea itching is enough to drive an adult to distraction, imagine what it would do to a child?

The best pharma fix for after bite insanity? Floucinonide cream .05%

Get a scrip from your Doctor. Might cost $3

Better living through chemistry: INSTANT RELIEF - Not cactus healy-feely.

DEET early, DEET often. Or, take your chances.

If you're right, God bless you.

If you're wrong? God help you.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand play for kids?

We've had good luck with the time-release DEET - designed to keep an effective dose going for a longer period without taking the original DEET percentage up into those troubling high percentages.

examples

amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Premium-Controlle…

amazon.com/gp/…

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Ultrathon-Insect-Repellent-2-Ounce/dp/B004LA5SUC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1425483914&sr=1-1&keywords=ultrathon+insect+repellent

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand play for kids?

IMHO, as a parent I'd be concerned taking my small children to a place where they most likely liberally douse the sand and property with chemicals( most likely banned in US, Canada, Europe ) especially if my children were going to play for hours in said sand.......

If you do decide to go, make certain it's a lower percentage of DEET, especially if under 2 years. And be diligent with hand washing, no hands near mouth, rinse them off well....etc etc

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand play for kids?

DEET, Most tested repellent in History, been protecting people from bug bites since 1946, extremely safe when used as directed, The stuff they spray the beach with ?? Who Knows

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand play for kids?

Will is not exaggerating about the itchy anguish of sand flea bites ... if your little one gets bites....you aren't going to get any sleep either....2:00 am .....Mommy...I'm itchy.....3:00 am... Mommy...I'm itchy....and so on...so caution is advised...and don't forget to protect the little ones against mosquito bites....I hope you parents bringing small children are aware that there are malaria carrying mosquitoes in Roatan and that you need to protect your children and yourselves against this.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand play for kids?

DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS PLAY LIKE THAT IN THE SAND. Texbronco, you're absolutely total irresponsible in saying that. A child can get a ton of bites playing in the sand there. You could absolutely ruin someone's vacation. Those bites can itch for weeks. A kid getting a lot of those could have a bad reaction.

That you managed to do something dumb and didn't have a bad outcome doesn't mean that it's to be done.

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand play for kids?

Picaridin actually works better for biting midges. You would probably like it more.

With 3 small kids, I don't think I'd fly over Florida to vacation in Roatan. There's an easier answer for that.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand play for kids?

I think this has gotten kind of silly. The OP is going to Roatan with her kids. She's asking advice - and I don't think that includes an invitation to accusations of bad parenting.

Over the years I have seen thousands... no exaggeration... thousands... of kids playing in the sand on West Bay Beach, just like they play on the sand on beaches all over the world. Normal bug precautions are in order, though as Mary Jane suggests, mosquitoes never seem to be a problem during most of the day on West Bay Beach.

Sunscreen is definitely in order. I also see more and more tourist kids protected with sunscreen shirts and hats. The sandflies are also rarely an issue in daytime on WBB. Using a reasonable bug repellent is prudent. Not yet mentioned, but frequently used for sandflies, is baby oil or some other similar oil. Insects breathe through their body, so most insects will not go through oil as it clogs up their breathing apparatus.

But the idea of going to Florida to avoid the bugs on Roatan? Seriously? I'm in Florida right now - and I've been a little lax with my repellent use... and I got more bites from sandflies and from mosquitoes here in Florida than I have had in Roatan in several years. I've also experienced worse sandflies on Cape Cod and on the Lake Michigan beaches. They are unpleasant little buggers... and it is easy to get bit without realizing it. And some people react very badly to them. Precautions are in order... but not hysteria.

There is nothing irresponsible about taking your kids to WBB, texbronco. You ARE taking them to a place with a small, but real, chance of contracting malaria - now that is something real. I'd be religious about mosquito repellent, especially in the mornings and late-afternoon/evening when they become more active. And there is a judgment call to be made on malaria prevention meds. But sandflies?

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,810 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Florida
Florida
United States