We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
343 reviews
Lobster

Lobster season is closed march 1- June 30. Please don't encourage poaching by buying lobster during this time. It's also illegal to keep lobster frozen during this time so please don't buy from restaurants who claim they're serving lobster that was frozen before the season ended. This way we'll be able to enjoy Honduran lobster for generations to come rather than eating/killing them during their breeding season. Thank you

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
1. Re: Lobster

Yep, Lobster season is closed BUT I would bet that most visitors do not care as they do not live there or have to deal with long term problems and will come up with one excuse or another to break the laws and promote illegal lobstering. , I

Edited: 07 March 2013, 01:16
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Lobster

.. This is good to know. My only question would be and why the only reason why i am confused ... Ift its the law .. and or if its the correct thing to do.. why do the restaurants and resorts serve these items year round? Vintage pearl.. Mayan Princess.. etc,

I agree that to some of us it does mean alot to preserve these animals during non lobster season but it seems like the restaurants and resorts have some kind of duty in following this but choose not to.

Im I missing something here? Just trying to understand.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
3. Re: Lobster

Interestingly just left but had lobster on March 3 in a restaurant far out in Camp Bay.............guess not everyone adheres to the policy.........money talks.

Sorry, never knew of the lobster no poaching rule otherwise would not have indulged.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,770 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Lobster

thanks for the reminder, nuts. I go to Roatan every year during this season and have never seen it off the menus. So if we can't eat langosta and we can't eat grouper because they are such good dive buddies, pretty soon we'll all be reduced to eating lion fish.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
343 reviews
5. Re: Lobster

yes ignoring the lobster season is normal for restaurants on roatan, its sad they are so short sighted and take advantage of the tourists ignorance. over the years i've heard every excuse, "its frozen from before the end of season"- lie, "its imported from jamaica"-even bigger lie.

obviously the authorities has no time/resources to enforce this, just as they have no time/resources to enforce the total shark fishing ban (i sadly saw a hammerhead being butchered on pigeon cay the other day, right next to a navy boat) but if expats and visitors would give restauranteurs sh*t for serving it and make a bit of a stink when they see it, that would help.

personally i prefer lion fish, it has a taste and texture thats almost identical to (very expensive) hamachi. far superior to the bland rubbery spiny lobster of the caribbean.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Lobster

We will be there in April, but do not plan to have any lobster. We have the best, right here, on the east coast of Canada!! We need to adhere to the lobster season, here, too. But we are permitted to freeze lobster, so can enjoy it any time of the year. I do plan, however, to indulge in the shrimp! Planning to try it in as many establishments as I can :) especially the coconut shrimp!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Lobster

Okay!!!So,we won't eat the lobster and I love grouper,but now that I know those are becoming overfished, I won't eat that either.What are my options???!!!I love sea food and we like to eat the local fare.Do they have mussels?Clams?What other kind of fish/seafood can we eat?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
343 reviews
8. Re: Lobster

you should go for the various snappers, wahoo, black fin tuna, rock fish, bonito & barracuda (with a good chef) if you want local fish that has healthy stocks.

San Diego
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Lobster

I had no idea. They should pass something out when you arrive at the airport,the ferry or depart the cruise ship.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
590 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Lobster

Lionfish is absolutely delicious. And a fish we should be OVER-fishing. IMO, the only way to properly contain them would be if we start over-consuming them. So everyone eat Lionfish.