We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

My husband and I returned from our first trip to Roatan and enjoyed it so much we are trying to return in February with his family. We stayed at Infinity Bay in West Bay which we thought was perfect. Although we did see many other options on West Bay that looked great as well. We chose IB because we like to stay in a condo vs hotel room and enjoy the resort amenities (housekeeping, bar, security, etc..) Additionally we like to play it safe the first time we visit somewhere. IB's location is awesome right on the ocean (although almost all of the rooms are not ocean side rather a short stroll) and the reef was amazing. We enjoy snorkeling (although far from experts!) and thought the reef was incredible. We didn't see any sea turtles but lots of others did. I saw a huge barracuda (4ft I would guess) that was almost nose to nose with me, very cool but startled the hell out of me! We snorkeled every day and never got tired of it. Too much to see.

Normally we'd explore the island however this time we ended up staying on West Bay for most of the trip. We did take a water taxi to the west end for an afternoon, but will have to go back to get a real feel for it. There are quite a few restaurants along the stretch of West Bay and we ate at the Thirsty Turtle, Fosters, Beachers, and the Argentinian. Our favorite was the Argentinian. All of the restaurants are on the beach and open air which was perfect. We found all of the food and drink prices to be very reasonable (13$ for lobster and $7 for two fish tacos and a beer,).

I used bug repellent every evening and still got bites. All in all I left with about 20 bites after one week. Sounds like a lot but I am a bug magnet and got over 40 bites in one night in St Thomas so this was very easy to deal with. I found deet to work the best but I hate the stuff so I used Cutters with Picardin all but one night. I don't think I got bit by one Mosquito...these were the no-see-ums. I have found that if you do get bit don't scratch and you can live with them. I have an allergic reaction where they look like a blister but if I scratch them they become unbearable..never stop itching.

Although we didn't explore the entire island, this is the one place we've vacationed that we want to return to. We haven't traveled alot but our past jaunts have been to St. Maarten, St Thomas/St John and Grand Cayman. All super nice islands but didn't have the feel of Roatan. It's hard to aptly describe, I don't want to say magical but there is a feel and a vibe that makes us want to return.

Edited: 14 October 2012, 19:47
Kelowna
Level Contributor
104 posts
1. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

thank you for the report, we understand the magical feeling, thats y we r going back for the month of Feb.

Whitby, Ontario...
1 post
2. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

Thanks for the trip report, we are 1st timers going to Roatan and staying at IB as well (end of January). Despite all my research, it is comforting to hear such positive reviews of both Roatan and IB. Looking forward to it.

Many Thanks!

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

glad you had a super time...

also glad to see in your report that you stopped at the argentinian grill .............. when last there it was just concrete framing going up.

how was the menu anything that we should definatly try a your suggestion????

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

Trying to remember what we had...I know i had the Filet w/Lobster one night and it was awesome. It was the smaller cut but was more than enough for one person. Prices were great and there are four bathrooms on site vs behind or beside the building. I had a close call with a gecko at another restaurant's bathroom so this was a plus for me! I also had the coconut shrimp once and it was good but not my favorite (thirsty turtles was the best). My husband had the whole snapper and said it was perfect. We stopped once for dessert and wine once as well. I had the chocolate mousse and it was divine.

I have one pic that shows some of the interior and I just posted it under general pics. It is under the heading restaurants and shows some of the background if you are interested in seeing it.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

thanks sdowns

I took a look around for the Rest. pic but could not find it !! maybe as you say it was just put on the site it will be there tomorrow ,, thanks again for all the info.. it does sound like you had a really great time ...

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

We did have a great time and are hoping to return in Feb. I guess it will take a few days to get the pic on line (got an email from t advisor). Tomorrow I will try to post it directly on a review for the restaurant. It turned out really nice...probably the nicest one on the beach.

Stephanie

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
704 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

Where in West Bay is the Argentinian Grill?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

Next to Beachers.

Kelowna
Level Contributor
104 posts
9. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

At halfmoon bay at the posada los arcos hotel

Kelowna
Level Contributor
104 posts
10. Re: Trip Report: First Trip to Roatan and loved it!

sorry, it is Posada Arco Iris