We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

Oshawa, Canada
2 posts
Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been perusing this forum for quite some time as my fiance and I plan our destination wedding. Lots of great advice here!

In her research, my fiance absolutely fell in love with Infinity Bay and we were both very excited to book there. Everything looks great for us and we even sent in the deposit to book, but just found out one very bizarre and odd thing (at least in our previous all-inclusive experiences): the resort stops serving at 10:00pm.

This is a big deal breaker for us because we have a fairly large group and asking everyone to pack up and go to bed at 10:00pm seems downright absurd to us. We are aware that it's a lot different than a traditional resort and that the all inclusive option is a very new thing, but it just seems so early to shut it down.

My question is whether it is easy/safe for any guests wanting to continue the fun to get to West Bay/West Beach and come back when they feel like? Are there bars open later that are close by? Are taxi's cheap and/or a good option for our guests to use?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

NJ
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

This must be a new thing for the bar at Infinity. I do not recall it being closed after 10:00 pm. (but it was not all inclusive when I stayed there) However, having said that - a quick beach walk to The Thirsty Turtle (stone's throw from Inifinity) will quench a late night craving. You can take a taxi to West End after Sundown- but it will cost about $20.00 each way.

Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

If you have a number of people in your party, I would prearrange a van for transport and have everyone go at once. There are alot of people that offer this service. They will drive you wherever and wait for you...we do this occasionally with larger groups and then we don't have to worry about driving either. The Thirsty Turtle often closes early as well so I wouldn't depend on that venue for nightlife. The day of the week is important as even in West End it can quiet during some weekdays.

It's difficult for places like Infinity Bay to balance the resort, all inclusive concept, with the fact that they are also privately owned and can be people's homes. I think the compromise is that they shut down rather early.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
138 reviews
3. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

"My question is whether it is easy/safe for any guests wanting to continue the fun to get to West Bay/West Beach and come back when they feel like? Are there bars open later that are close by? Are taxi's cheap and/or a good option for our guests to use?"

Perhaps a little confusion here. Infinity Bay is on West Bay Beach.

First, I would clarify with them that they mean the beach bar at IB closes at 10... doesn't seem quite right for a beach bar, but could be.... Second, as momofrose points out, it is a short stroll down the beach to the nice beach bar at Bananrama called the Thirsty Turtle. Third - you will have full kitchens at IB, so not hard to have a fridge full of beers and drink ingredients a short walk away...

and fourth - people tend to get up early and after a day of excitement on the beach, and with a beautiful sunset at around 6:30 PM... many folks do pack it in by 10 PM.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
384 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

I'm with everyone else's comments here. I certainly don't remember the beach bar closing at 10:00, and, if they do, bring the party into someone's room or out by the pool. We had many a late night sitting at IB by the pool just savoring the breeze, the stars, and the rum, although not necessarily in that order. However, I'm not familiar with "all inclusive" resorts. At Infinity, the water taxi will take you to West End until 9:30, which, as has been mentioned, doesn't always have great nightlife, either, depending on the weeknight. You can taxi home for $10. I also agree with Idiots; the sun goes down by 6:30, and after a day in the sun and cavorting in the water, after several hours of darkness it feels later than 10:00! If you're really looking for nightlife and eating and drinking non-stop until the wee hours, maybe a cruise would be a better destination?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

double post

Edited: 30 May 2012, 03:51
Oshawa, Canada
2 posts
6. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

Thanks to all for the replies and the comments. It's not that we are looking for everyone to be partying the whole time, we just found 10:00 mighty early for shutting down. I'm glad to hear that there are some options for us to explore, as we do really love the tranquil setting. All-inclusives are what our guests will be used to, as that's the predominant vacation around these parts.

With that said, our travel agent had told us "all inclusive", but it turns out that it is only meal plans, and does not include drinks. For any others in the market for an all inclusive option, definitely not a great choice. Thanks a ton for all of your help everyone.

Ajax, Ontario
Level Contributor
19 posts
7. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

Howdy from your neighbour in Ajax! I've been going to Roatan for a number of years. Love it, although the bars do tend to close early on West Bay whether it's an AI hotel or a beach bar. I agree with the other posters ... after a day in the sun, you're ready for bed.

Have you had a look at Xbalanque Resort? http://www.xbalanque-del-mar.com/ I was looking through their reviews yesterday and they've done a couple of weddings that people were raving about. It's fairly small so I'm not sure if it would accommodate all your guests. The party could go on for as long as you want if you take over the whole place! Just a thought -- it's a absolutely gorgeous and I always have to stop and gawk at the place when walking by.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

Is that the Ultra modern looking spot on the beach between West Bay And West End....? It looked a little "sterile" to me....no offense intended..perhaps "up close" its incredible.

If the OP is looking for "ease of travel" with her wedding guests who are accustomed to, and more comfortable traveling "AI" then probably Infinity Bay and perhaps Mayan Princess would be the best choice....IMHO. I think Mayan would offer a more intimate, prettier setting for a wedding than Infinity. Both are on the same "scale".....but for me, Mayan wins out....Infinity is just getting a bit too big for its britches...but thats "me". And just mho.

Ajax, Ontario
Level Contributor
19 posts
9. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

Yes, it's very modern looking building with their own large dock in the area you described. The outside area has been beautifully decorated with stone sculptures and a waterfall. They have large lighted balls hanging in the trees that would be breathtaking at night. They've gotten very good reviews from their guests.

I agree with you about the Mayan Princess. I stayed there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Nice atmosphere and a great pool. Infinity Bay just doesn't feel "homey" to me.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Infinity Bay / Wedding questions

I looked at some photos, it does look beautiful...