We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

Michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

My husband and I have stayed at many all inclusive resorts before (3-5 star). We actually have preferred the 3 star resorts the best, because they are usually on the smaller side, and we prefer that. We are not picky eaters and actually love to venture off a couple times during the week for a taste of the local restaurants. I have heard that the West Bay is most conducive for snorkeling, but would love to hear about other areas that offer great snorkeling too. Night life is not that important since we are usually too tired after a day of snorkeling, drinking, and sun to indulge in the night scene. The occasional show is sometimes nice. The things we want in an all inclusive are:

1. Awesome daily snorkeling (our vacations and research always include snorkeling as the main attraction). An easy walk to snorkeling, as well as snorkeling right in front of the resort.

2. Plenty of shade and chairs when not snorkeling.

3. Awesome drinks (fruity frozen concotions mostly) when not snorkeling (preferably a beach bar since we lay on the beach when not snorkeling).

4. a beach to walk and explore

5. decent food choices (the 3 basic meals are fine for us)

6. a resort that is not going to be too over-run by the people of the cruise ships (the schedule shows they will be there 4 times during our trip)

7. Easy access to restaurants or shopping

8. a comfortable bed is always nice

Also, any ideas or suggestions for snorkeling excursions or wild life excursions would be very helpful. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
905 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

There are no all inclusives in Roatan that are comparable to anything that you have experienced elsewhere. Sunwing has convinced a couple of resorts to attempt an all inclusive option, but these places were never intended to accomadate such a thing. I have yet to meet anyone in Roatan who has been happy with their choice to go all inclusive. Don't get me wrong, Roatan is my favorite Caribbean destination and I'm going back this year again, but please reconsider any thought of going all inclusive. There are so many terrific restaurants and bars in West End and West Bay.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

Roatan isnt really an all inclusive destination, you go there to enjoy being out and about on roatan. Cancun is probably more your style.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

The only true AI I know on West Bay Beach is Henry Morgan. From what I understand it doesn't compare to any of the AI in Mexico.

IN addition to Henry Morgan, HM resorts manages a few other places both in West Bay and down island. http://www.hmresorts.com/hmresorts/

Mayan Princess has a sort of AI thing happening.

Cruise Ship Crowd is tough to get away from..West Bay Beach is the most popular beach on the island, every one and their mother's uncle wants to see it.

I, like Mcgosler, am not a fan of AI so can't help you with beds or drinks.

I can tell you if you want to be near other restaurants, the shopping of West End, a beach long enough to walk and snorkeling, your research is correct, West Bay Beach is what you are looking for.

One other thought, Sandy Bay has far fewer cruise ship people about, a beach long enough to walk and a few dining options, but the reef is some distance out from the shore, one would need to swim out or kayak to the reef.. This will keep you a bit farther away from the cruise crowd. Keep in mind it is a residential area there are both locals and expats in among the accommodation options.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

I would ditto the comments that Roatan is not an all-inclusive destination. I would suggest renting something...good deals to be had on vrbo... Roatan is a good choice if you don't care about nightlife...any entertainment offered at the so called all-inclusives are very mickey mouse. West Bay does have very easy access to the Reef as it comes very close to the shore...but it doesn't take much to get out to the reef in other spots of the island...you can get out fairly inexpensively...just find some guy with a little boat...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

If you are capable of getting a good deal on your flights, I'd fly down air only and book my own hotels. And given your criteria, I'd say West Bay Beach is a good choice. If you stay down by Fosters or Las Rocas you will not have the cruise crowd which tends to be around Infinity Bay/ Bananarama/ etc.

This way you have easy access to great snorkeling, great restaurant choices, etc. All walking distance. Plus West End Village is a quick taxi boat away.

But....if your flights are expensive and an AI deal comes in pretty close, go with that. ie Mayan Princess. And still sample some eating out etc.

Michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. Cancun is not a good fit for us since we are in our late 30's and do not like the nightlife/party life. We actually prefer Riveria Maya and Cozumel when we travel to Mexico, because they are more laid back and offer great snorkeling.

We are on the beach 90% of our trip, either at a reef or in a beach chair sipping an ice cold drink and just plain relaxing. We just prefer to have food and drinks available when we are not snorkeling. We have never participated in any of the all inclusive games or activities and rarely make it to a show, or longer than an hour to a show. When we leave the resort, it is for the occassional excursion (which generally involves snorkeling or some type of nature/sight seeing), or to sample some local cuisine and shopping.

Currently the flight prices are rather high (about $950-1000 per person). I think all inclusive is a better fit for us, so that we may still have some money left for the occassional excursion or dining out experience.

I can only find one site that even offers an all inclusive package (cheap caribbean)... We are looking into staying at the Henry Morgan, Mayan Princess, Las Sirenas, or Paradise Beach. Has anyone ever stayed at one of these, or have a preference? Food and drink better somewhere than others? It seems as though HM is the farthest from the cruisers. Does this mean they will not get as crowded? Do all resorts cater to the cruisers by supplying them with day passes/beach chairs? Thanks again!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

The food for Las Sirenas and Henry Morgan is made at Henry Morgan. ost people say it is fair.

When Paradise was part of HM it was the same food as well. I understand things are shifting there now, have no idea if they still off AI.

There is info here about Mayan, perhaps once Maya2627 comes back you can get more info from her. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g944573-i12645-k49…

Henry Morgan may not have many cruise people about but they have a relationship with a company in Milan, there is a plane full of Italians flown in once a week. As I said above it is the only true AI I know, and that is cause of the charters from Italy. They have been in the AI business more years than I can remember.

Paradise is currently under renovations and holiday makers are having a hard time understanding the extent of the construction.

I don't think Las Sirenas or Henry Morgan offer day passes.

I don't think Paradise does.

I know for a fact Mayan does.

Edited: 19 December 2011, 00:58
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
905 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

sgstar, there is a good reason why you cannot find Roatan listed in any of the major operators tour books.....they don't dare class this as all inclusive. It's good to see that you don't participate in the games and activities, so you won't miss them. There are no animation teams, no games, no theaters, no swim up bars, etc....

Level Contributor
204 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

I have used day passes for the Mayan Princess three times during my 3 week stay in Sandy Bay last year. $10 each.

Each time we met only one cruise ship party, 3 couples, once one family and once one couple

We met the same family of four who were staying there each time.

Otherwise the pool was empty. We didn't use the beach loungers as we needed the shade and wanted to be away from the sand fleas.

Brought our own drinks and ate at Bananaramia, Celestes and Bite on the Beach, so can not comment on their food or beverage service.

I wouldn't worry about being overcrowded by cruisers here.

Its a beautiful property around the pool. Resident iquanas too!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best All-Inclusive in Roatan

In fact, at Henry Morgan there are indeed animation teams, games, aerobics, etc etc. I suppose out of the ones you mention it would be the most "resorty"....but not really. I've said it many times, its basically a medium sized hotel with resort like amenities.

Also, as I've mentioned before in different threads we are not typical AI travellers. We much prefer air only, finding our own small hotels, eating out, exploring, etc etc.

BUT.......last yr the AI deal we got for Henry Morgan made it very silly not to take it. The airfare was only 200$ less! Thus, with our savings by grabbing an AI deal we were able to go 2x last yr to Roatan. So, all this to say I am a "non AI" traveller....but I know when to take advantage of a good deal & bite the bullet. We still explored on our own, we still ate out, we still walked down to the quieter end of the beach to relax( by the jumping dock platform.

So, I think airfare is high there is no shame in booking AI to save a few $$.