We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan in January

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Roatan in January

After extensive research was looking forward to booking Roaton first week of Jan. only to find out it is the rainy season. Are we talking about 1hr downpours or continuous rain for days on end? Was hoping to avoid the instability of Cuba or Dominican but not sure...

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Roatan in January

We did this a couple days ago and it ended badly. :)

"Are we talking about 1hr downpours or continuous rain for days on end?"

Either or,, hard to say or you could get sun for days. One Jan I was down it poured cats and dogs for three straight weeks. Last Jan they didn't get a drop of rain then it poured for 6 days in Feb. One year it was still raining in March, it was also cold enough for sweatshirts. Ole Mother Nature doesn't so much do predictable.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Roatan in January

If you want to look at weather history for any location wunderground.com is a great place to look...here is the page for this past January in Roatan....

wunderground.com/history/…DailyHistory.html

Personally I think you can get anything in January in "tropical" destinations. It can be absolutely gorgeous warm and sunny and then you can hit a bad week and get cloud and rain....it really is the luck of the draw I am afraid during January....one thing that I can tell you with all certainty....it will be A LOT warmer than Montreal in Roatan in January.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Roatan in January

Rainy season has been pretty lite so far this year. Don't know if that bodes well or poorly. For the most part we don't get wet drizzly days, when it rains it rains like it means it then usually clears up.

La Ceiba
4 posts
4. Re: Roatan in January

It is only the beginning of October so I would not say rainy season has been light as October is generally when it starts anyways, September had more rain this year than any recent septembers. There is a very good chanceof rain in January and quite often the rains during the wet months can last days on end. Of course there is a chance you can have great weather anytime but those chances are significantly reduced during the rainy season

Edited: 09 October 2011, 23:45
Roatan, Honduras
5 posts
5. Re: Roatan in January

After last night and todays rains I do not think anyone except a realtor or tour guide can tell us rainy season has been light so far this year, Wonder which one Mike2008 is

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Roatan in January

Jose, no, not a tour operator or evil realtor.

8 or 10 years back we had a hard rain start at the end of September and not stop for 42 days. I consider that a heavy season :-) This season there have been some heavy rains but we haven't yet had a day yet where diving was stopped for bad weather. There have also been quite a few good beach days recently.

If we excuse TS Harvey which was a 10 hour anomoly there hasn't even been a serious weather scare within 400 miles of Roatan. So I stand by my assesment of a lite season. (so far)

Roatan, Honduras
5 posts
7. Re: Roatan in January

Mike,

It started raining yesterday afternoon, has not stopped and does not look like it will for some time, Sure, it is not the heaviest rains in ten years but to suggest early in October the raint season is light is just not responsible as we all know, or should know, the real rains do not start until later October anyway if we look at historical data going back much further than your ten years, Of course then again we know November has averaged more rain than any other month over time. Heck, I can dive in close to no vis anywhere, just because boats will run and take money does that mean it is good? More than a couple flights have not made it recently from the mainland due to the rains, is this really a slow start? Check out the runnoff this morning then get back to me.

Edited: 15 October 2011, 19:29
Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Roatan in January

Jose, hope you got out and enjoyed the sunshine today.

Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Roatan in January

January is usually great. You might get showers overnight and maybe an hour in the morning once or twice during the week, but you should have sunny days and great beach weather.

NJ
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Roatan in January

We went this past January and it never rained - but was cloudy about 3 of the 8 days we were there -