We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

New Jersey
Level Contributor
461 posts
12 reviews
50 helpful votes
Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

I may be changing my vacation plans and possibly having to travel alone. I was (and may still) be planning a trip to Caye Caulker with my friend, but that may not work out.

So which could possibly be better for a single woman, mid fifties. I have knee issues so can't do HUGE amounts of walking. I love to snorkel, laze around reading books, and am comfortable going to restaurants by myself. Have stayed in places like Isla Holbox, Isla Mujeres and the BVI's...along with All Inclusive in the DR and Jamaica, so I think I am pretty flexible.

Any insight from people who have traveled both islands, or traveled alone to either ?

Also looking to go during US Thanksgiving week in November, and want to keep air/room to about $1800 ( meals etc extra)

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
91 reviews
190 helpful votes
1. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

CC is a charming little town much in the way that West End Roatan is a charming little village. Both have good places to eat and stay and lots of opportunities to keep meeting the same people over and over. But Roatan is WAY prettier, and of course offers way more variety of places to stay and eat. CC is almost totally lacking of beach, except in one spot, which is a sorry excuse for a snorkel spot. Otherwise you would have to wade way out through crud or else go out on a long dock or else get a boat to go snorkel or even swim. That's ridiculous in a tropical resort destination. CC has some brightly painted buildings, and lovely sunrises, but nothing else of beauty. Roatan is expensive to get to and there aren't a lot of flights, but it's inexpensive once you get there. CC isn't all that hard to get to, since you can hop a small plane from the international airport. Roatan has miles of empty beach and it's practically surrounded by lovely reef. For what you want and compared to what you say you have liked, Roatan wins. I enjoyed CC and I remember it fondly, but I was there just to sample the local diving, and having done it once, I'll never go back.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
151 reviews
144 helpful votes
2. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

Roatan wins here as well.....As dhauk stated, I too have been to CC but will never go back.

fedekat
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

I have never been to Roatan, but I have been to CC. CC is very rustic- sand roads and all that. It felt like a back packer spot and there is very little to do. If I were alone, I would want to go somewhere a little more lively.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
330 reviews
267 helpful votes
4. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

We've enjoyed both but Roatán would be my recommendation, too, partly because it's easy to find snorkeling from shore. On Caulker you have to take a tour to get tot he reef. Roatán offers some good hiking in the Carambola Reserve, too. Happy trails!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

the 2 are very different. roatan is much larger with more to do. CC is very small and all about quiet and relaxing.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
461 posts
12 reviews
50 helpful votes
6. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

Thanks for all of your comments. Due to a few bumps in the financial road ( thanks Irene) I have opted to go to Tulum Mexico since I could use FF miles to CUN.

Roatan and CC will just have to be future trips.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

Just wanted to get my vote in for Roatan as well! Loved CC but moved to Roatan. In Tulum you will find good snorkling from shore, but the best is to drive around and snorkle the cenotes. If you're a diver you can take the ferry over to Cozumel for a day. Have a great trip.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
91 reviews
190 helpful votes
8. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

I think that Tulum is an excellent choice. Great ruins to explore and a truly beautiful beach. Mile after mile of fun little resorts, all trying to look authentically primitive. Some really ARE primitive, like having stick walls and no windows. Also good food and good atmosphere. You can skip the drive south to Boca Paila and Puerto Allen, but do go look at Coba while you're there. A more interesting ruin than Tulum. But with all that beach, there is no shore reef. You could find diving all along the coast from Puerto Morelos to Honduras, but for snorkeling you need to go to the next road north or Tulum,to Tankah, where the reef is just off shore. Tankah also has an interesting cenote along the road where you could snorkel in fresh water. Watch the speed traps on the road south from Cancun.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
11 reviews
53 helpful votes
9. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

kelib:

I would recommend you take a cab or collectivo (or maybe you plan on renting a car?) from Tulum to Akumal Bay for good snorkeling from shore. Depending on where in Tulum you are staying, it's approx 22 miles between the two areas.The reef in Akumal has deteriorated over the years like many in other parts of the world, sadly, due to hurricanes and human intervention :( but nonetheless DH and I still consider the snorkeling very worthwhile. Lots of variety of marine life including many sea turtles, barracuda and if you're lucky maybe even a nurse shark (which I have yet to see). We are going back to the Akumal and XpuHa areas in November for our 4th trip to the region and really excited to just walk out of our hotel and literally be steps from the ocean !!

Having said that, Roatan has been on our list for some time and we are hoping to bite the bullet and travel there next April or May. I have been keeping track of the forum posts and all the great info there is on here and I believe that Roatan will suit us to a tee since snorkeling is our main obsession while on vacation, along with a love of experiencing different cultures. Thanks to all the extremely knowledgable folks who help with advice on where to stay, where to eat, where to snorkel etc etc. Your passion for the island shines through!

Can anyone advise on the best way of getting to Roatan from Vancouver? I know that Sunwing flies direct from Toronto, but that would add another , say, $500 pp airfare from here, also I'm not sure if I want to do the AI package thing.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
47,334 posts
10. Re: Roatan Vs Caye Caulker

quote:

Can anyone advise on the best way of getting to Roatan from Vancouver?

We have done it a few times going through Houston via Continental

2 years ago, it was $500 round trip - prices have gone up so its Mexico for now

Get answers to your questions about West Bay