We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infinity Bay

Austin
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Infinity Bay

Trying to decide between Infinity Bay and perhaps something smaller Monkey La La studio? I am concerned that Infinity Bay might be to crowded? We would really like to find someplace with easy beach snorkeling, but not so crazy crowded? It would be great also if it had a pool and nice views, would like kitchen and wifi? Either west bay or west end, as long as it's quiet and the snorkeling is good. Any ideas??

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
11. Re: Infinity Bay

Thanks BookLady. I am *this* close to booking the trip, but the sand flies/mosquitoes is making me second guess. I am a mosquito magnet. I get tons of bites that turn into welts. I love the tropics and always come prepared, but it does put a bit of a damper on my trips when I am eaten alive. I have also had one really bad experience with sand flies in the Florida keys. I didn't even know I was being bitten until it was too late. I counted 70 bites on one leg then stopped counting. I have never been so miserable in my entire life. But I hate to let BUGS keep me away from experiencing beautiful places. But it's also a lot of money and time to go somewhere and be miserable :(. Can I ask you a bit more about the bugs? Were you getting bit just while out on the beach? Or back at your house (which I know is essentially on the beach). Did bug spray seem to help you? Were you getting bitten all day or more so at sunset?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
12. Re: Infinity Bay

We were bitten before we realized it as well - but were able to manage the itch with benedryl cream and minimized the bites with repellant. I didn't have too much of a reaction to the bites but at the airport on the way home I noticed some people with huge swollen bites so I guess it depends on the individual. I don't think the time of the day seemed to matter for the sand fly bites but the mosquitos were only a problem in the evening. You can certainly minimize the sand bites by using a chair on the beach and also using repellant. I dont think it would put me off going to Roatan - the snorkelling and diving can't be beat - but I don't think I'd take small children or a baby - it would be too stressful keeping them bite free.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
13. Re: Infinity Bay

Sand fleas are most active around hours close to dawn and dusk....I get off the beach two hours before sunset....because if I don't the sandfleas get me...and you don't feel them biting. Watching the sun go down from a chaise on the beach in Roatan just isn't a good option for anyone who tends to have bugs like them. Best prevention avoid the beach at the above two mentioned times. The type of mosquitoes that can carry malaria bite between dusk and dawn so you should be wearing repellant on exposed skin when outside during this time period in Roatan. Infinity Bay nukes their property pretty heavily for bugs....but it only takes one skitter.....IMO the value of experiencing and exploring Roatan at least "once" overules the inconvenience of the sand fleas and having to wear deet for the skitters between dusk and dawn...Infinity Bay nukes their property pretty heavily for bugs I think so it wasn't like we had mosquitoes swarming around us at night...but it only takes one skitter carrying malaria...so you should take bug precautions...

14. Re: Infinity Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 08:45