We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karma Jewelry Design!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Karma Jewelry Design!

My husband and I have gone to West Bay Beach two times looking for Karma Design and have been told that she displays her items near Henry Morgan and we have been unable to connect with her. Yesterday, we drove out to Media Luna and were turned away from the property. The security guard spoke by radio someone in charge and then the radio was handed to my husband. We told them we would like to check out the property and go to the gift shop where Carla's jewelry was on display. We were again told that we could not come on the property. I have never seen so many security officers at a resort. So, I am really hoping to connect with Carla and make some purchases and hoped someone could point me in the right direction. We have two more weeks left on the island! Thanks for any help.......

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,812 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Henry Morgan Beach Resort
1,618 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Media Luna Resort & Spa
Media Luna Resort & Spa
1,048 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

Karma Jewelry is only there from 9AM to noon. Monday through Saturday. THOUGH we did see her there on a Sunday once a few weeks ago and not on a Monday.

She is really easy to find. If you are in front of the Henry Morgan on the beach facing the ocean look for the guard stand. This will be on the right hand side. Go a few feet to the right. Maybe 50-75 feet. SHe has a WHITE shade awning set up with wooden supports. It is just a single table maybe 6feet long by 3 feet wide. She is very easy to miss as it is very small. There is a small sign toward the waters edge reading KARMA Jewelry and another sign closer to her table. They are in BLUE hues...think air brush painting when looking for them.

She has some beautiful pieces but is VERY expensive. I was looking at a bracelet with polished stones it was $172.00. A friend of mine is also a jewelrymaker/silversmith. So maybe I am just spoiled with him giving me things all the time. This bracelet was very overpriced. No bargaining was to be done on it either.

If you still can't find her on the beach just ask the guard on the beach at Henry Morgan. He will take you to her.

Edited: 15 May 2011, 20:23
Mentioned in this post
1,618 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

I know Karla really well. Sometimes she is a little "flexible" with her hrs. She is usually there in the mornings and could be gone by 1:00 but that isn't always the case either. When we were there I went to find her on a day she should have been there and it took me 3 days before we finally connected. I have many of her pieces and they are beautiful. Her's is not beach vendor type jewelry so by that comparison it may seem pricey but I think it is really reasonably priced. I buy silver jewelry in Canada and pay easily double so now I save my silver purchases for Karla. Many of her designs are quite unique and elicit alot of compliments. No she does not haggle like other beach vendors, but she will offer discounts if you are a regular customer or if you buy several pieces. She also is very good about customer service. I had a pair of earings that broke (my fault) and she took them back and gave me a new pair.

Now Media Luna, that's another story. We were in the area so decided to check it out and hopefully have lunch there. First the guard at the gate wanted us to pay $15 to get in. (Gringo shakedown). When we said no we just wanted to have lunch they radioed ahead and we were allowed in but had to park our vehicle at the guard gate and walk to the main dining area. (Considerable distance). When we got there they wanted $30 each for buffet lunch. Well that wasn't going to happen so we just walked around. Wanted to see one of the cute little cabanas but the marketing guy couldn't get the keys to work. Oh well. It is very impressive but I'd sure hate to be that isolated. They are doing Sunwing All Inclusives out of Canada.

Mentioned in this post
Media Luna Resort & Spa
Media Luna Resort & Spa
1,048 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

carla has fantastic designs and the quality of stones and the silver is great

i wondered if it would discolour as time went by like other peices from other island trips but all the items i purchased from karma are just as perfect as the day i bought them worth every penny i spent its a no dicker price that is very reasonable for great quality she is such a nice lady to chat with

when we were there in march she was not coming to west bay on tuesdays but she was there almost every other day but only in the am she even made me a peice that i went back to pick up

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

Thanks so much for your help and we will go this week, earlier in the morning! It sounds like she has high quality jewelry and the price matches. I want to see if there is something I cannot live without and perhaps a birthday present for Mom! And Jimmi1 you made it farther than we did! We thought perhaps there was a movie star or political figure on the premises they way they acted.

Edited: 16 May 2011, 05:26
willington,ct
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

My wife and I just returned home Sunday 3:00am after some plane problems in Atlanta.

My wife has been saving money all year to buy more jewelry from Carla.

We never saw her last week. We would wait until 10am each morning.

She was very disappointed until Friday we went to the plaza in front of Banaaramma(sp). The very nice lady makes most of the jewlry there and we bought 2 very original pieces.

Another opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

Dear joevarct,

Was it near the dive shop and hotel owned by bananarama or up in the little plaza area where cool beans and penelopes are? We are heading over to West Bay Beach today so I will check them both out. Hopefully, the third time is a charm! Did this other jeweler bargain or was it set prices like Karma? Thanks all!

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,812 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
willington,ct
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

Jatade the store is next to the deli. We can't remeber the ladies name but she is a blonde very nice. Pam bought a Larimar necklace and earings at a very good price. She dosen't bargin but we were happy with her prices. In fact I saw a braclet I liked and we went back and bought it.

Good luck.

Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

You are talking about Penelope's Island Emporium.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

Yep, that is Penny Leigh at Penelope's. I also fell in love with a Larimar Bracelet and ring that I couldn't resist. She has some very unique items. Will go see her again in a couple of weeks for more Larimar pieces. She also runs Roatan Renegade Rescue that helps rescue the islands dogs that are suffering. She is a great lady and I feel good spending money there, knowing I am helping someone that gives back so much of herself. If you are able, please give her a donation for RRR.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
547 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Karma Jewelry Design!

Hi Jimmi1 - we also had difficulty finding Karla - looked beyond the Henry Morgan, but to no avail. Perhaps the next time. Re the security at the Media Luna - we were scrutinized as well upon our return at the end of each day and we were guests at the resort . Personally, we thought it was a good thing, since it is somewhat isolated, as you mentioned. Sorry that you were put off by that. You might have found the luncheon buffet and live entertainment quite enjoyable. We paid about the same for lunch at a Bite on the Beach and it wasn't nearly as good.

Mentioned in this post
1,618 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Media Luna Resort & Spa
Media Luna Resort & Spa
1,048 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Get answers to your questions about West Bay