We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honduran Coins

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Honduran Coins

I collect coins and my understanding is that coins on Roatan are hard to come by. What is my best tactic? Do I need to go to a bank or is there a likely business that would have them? We're staying in West End.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Xbalanque Resort
Xbalanque Resort
#1 of 13 hotels in West Bay
Caribe Tesoro
Caribe Tesoro
#1 of 6 B&Bs / Inns in West Bay
West Bay Lodge and Spa
West Bay Lodge and Spa
#2 of 13 hotels in West Bay
roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honduran Coins

If you don't come by a store that uses coin then you are only a 5 minute walk from Banco LaFise in West End.

I personally love it that we rarely use coins here. I'm from Canada and need to reinforce my pockets and wallet for visits home. $1, $2, .25, .10, .5... equals many pounds!

Have fun

Bonnie

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honduran Coins

I was under the impression there wasn't a bank that close! Thank you for the help! I understand how you feel about the coins. Carrying paper is by far much easier!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,725 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honduran Coins

In my limited experience coins are rarely used in daily commerce in Roatan, since the smallest denomination of paper money is the one lemp note, being worth about 5 cents US/Can. That note has old Lempira himself on it. I understand that the coins are fractions of a lemp, so not much use in commerce. But I've never actually seen one. Since you will probably never end up with one in your change, I guess you need to find a bank. It has to cost more to mint these coins than they are worth, so the govt might be discouraging their use.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honduran Coins

Maybe the government should mint them and sell them as souveniers--either that or gather up the ones already minted and do the same! Ah well, it won't be the first time we had adventures looking for coins in a foreign country and I doubt this will be the last. dhauk, do you think they are more commonly used on the mainland? I can put on my snorkel gear and swim on over some afternoon...

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honduran Coins

The Bank is not actually in West End..it is just outside of West End part of the same building as the new petrol station. The sign is very visible. I didn't want ya wandering up and down the dirt road in West End looking for a bank sign.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,725 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honduran Coins

tryp, you COULD swim over, but all those coins in your pocket would make it hard to swim back before happy hour.

But I don't see why they would use coins on the mainland any more than on Roatan.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honduran Coins

So I did some research and found out that Banco LaFise is not in West End. Then again neither is Sundowners or Argentinian Grill! These are all in Half Moon Bay! And here I thought I was living in West End these last 2 years! The bank is still only a 4-5 minute walk from the dirt road that is the main drag of West End and they do have coin.

Sorry for giving the wrong info! Are you sure you're staying in West End????

Bonnie

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Sundowners
Sundowners
1,222 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honduran Coins

Ach! Darn, I forgot about those coins weighing me down in the water on the trip back from the mainland. Not a good idea to delay happy hour, no matter how VALUABLE those coins are! Whew, that was close.

We're staying at the Seagrape, Bonnie. Hopefully that means I'll find the bank. Really, it all depends on when happy hour begins and how long it lasts...

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honduran Coins

Hey Tryp, you'll be our neighbour in Half Moon Bay ;) Stop by and I'll give you some coins...I don't even carry them around.

Bonnie

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honduran Coins

Thanks, Bonnie--I sent you a PM!